Remember My Name - new original

daryl1968

Hi folks

Sorry I've been a bit absent recently.

Here's a new song that I've recorded - the subject is close to my heart - crits and nits welcome.

Remember My Name
Written and performed by Staypress
You've changed - you're not the person you used to be
It's strange but you were a kind of hero to me
It's a shame to feel so damned emotionally
The blame lies squarely with no-one intentionally
Chorus
It hurts to see you this way
Although I've learned to live for today 
You may not remember my name
But one thing's for sure, I'm going to love you all the same
Verse 2
Your fame will continue no matter what I do
Your friends have a pretty high opinion of you
You live and I'm sure your legend will grow
But I'm telling you that you're not the person I know
Chorus

Edited by daryl1968
  • Like 1

I like it Daryl. It has an island feel to it. The sound of the keys keeps it very interesting. Didn't pay much attention to the lyrics because I really was into the music. Almost a bossa-nova type thing going too!! Bass simple and to the point. Sounds like a stand-up bass. Like the ending too! The drums sounded like somebody played them. IOW, real human drummer,

Guitar tone is great. I like that. Good effort.

• Thanks 1

Daryl
I always like what you do with your lyrics. In the 1st verse: "You've changed" in line 1  Then: "It's strange" in line 2. And then Shame/blame.
Being the lyrics guy I am I'd suggest that same kind of rhyme in verse 2. Except for that nit I enjoyed the song quite a lot.

• Thanks 1

Well, it's a nifty peppy toe tapper about a subject that seems pretty heavy. I've dealt with Alzheimers in my family and you can't help to see some humor in the unrelenting sadness of it all. I liked the bounce and the space latin vibe. The mix is so clear, all the elements are wonderfully differentiated. I say that every time, don't I?

No crits. Good luck dealing. cheers,

-Tom

uh, P.S. it just occurs to me that maybe it isn't about Alzheimers.  ??? 

Edited by emeraldsoul
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2019 at 9:17 PM, Grem said:

I like it Daryl. It has an island feel to it. The sound of the keys keeps it very interesting. Didn't pay much attention to the lyrics because I really was into the music. Almost a bossa-nova type thing going too!! Bass simple and to the point. Sounds like a stand-up bass. Like the ending too! The drums sounded like somebody played them. IOW, real human drummer,

Guitar tone is great. I like that. Good effort.

Thanks Grem. Very kind

On 8/23/2019 at 3:08 AM, bjornpdx said:

Daryl
I always like what you do with your lyrics. In the 1st verse: "You've changed" in line 1  Then: "It's strange" in line 2. And then Shame/blame.
Being the lyrics guy I am I'd suggest that same kind of rhyme in verse 2. Except for that nit I enjoyed the song quite a lot.

Thanks Bjorn. Yes, I know what you mean. Thanks for the listen mate

On 8/23/2019 at 4:08 PM, amiller said:

I liked this.  Good job.😊👍

Thank you kind sir :)

Daryl my boy, this is another very catchy track and (again) such a clear/clean mix. Had me humming this for sometime as it was stuck in my head (in a good way ;)).

It's about time to put all these tracks in an album mate.....very good stuff indeed!!

Edited by Mesh
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2019 at 9:59 PM, Bajan Blue said:

I like this - good stuff

Thanks a lot

On 8/24/2019 at 4:19 AM, emeraldsoul said:

Well, it's a nifty peppy toe tapper about a subject that seems pretty heavy. I've dealt with Alzheimers in my family and you can't help to see some humor in the unrelenting sadness of it all. I liked the bounce and the space latin vibe. The mix is so clear, all the elements are wonderfully differentiated. I say that every time, don't I?

No crits. Good luck dealing. cheers,

-Tom

uh, P.S. it just occurs to me that maybe it isn't about Alzheimers.  ??? 

Thanks Tom and spot on with the message

On 8/24/2019 at 10:44 PM, Bapu said:

Cool beans Daryk.

And the song is top drawer too, as usual.

:)

i like monkeys

Production is great with great instrument separation on my cans and the lyrics are well crafted (which I always appreciate). Although I agree with @bjornpdx about the rhyming in v1 - I did think that was clever (and I may steal that idea) 😉 - would have been great to see that carried to v2, but I know that when you end up searching for a rhyme it can end up sounding contrived so vive la difference!

Andy

• Like 1

Daryl,

As always, fantastic original song and production.     This song's use of lyrical dissonance does an exceptional job of contrasting the subtle and unpredictable path of the person with the writer's perspective of who the person "was".    Really clever production.

Regards

On 8/25/2019 at 5:37 PM, Jim Fogle said:

Daryl,

I like the song arrangement and mixing.  There is a lot of definition between the instruments and good instrument choices for this song.  The vocal fits into the song and is clear with good elocution.   Good production.

Thanks so much Jim

On 8/26/2019 at 3:42 PM, Wookiee said:

Classic Staypress mix, clean, defined and balanced.  Subject has heavy heavy overtones but handled with care in the lyrics.  :)

Thanks Wookster - very kind my mate

On 8/26/2019 at 4:00 PM, Mesh said:

Daryl my boy, this is another very catchy track and (again) such a clear/clean mix. Had me humming this for sometime as it was stuck in my head (in a good way ;)).

It's about time to put all these tracks in an album mate.....very good stuff indeed!!

Thanks Mesher me old mucker.  Would you really buy it though mate? I'd love to do something like that but it's a fair bit of investment to end up with piles of CDs hanging around you can't sell......

I was considering baking cakes with my face on and selling them - everyone likes cake 🍰

• Like 1