Should I sell my Akai S3000xl, which I'll likely never use again?

Christian Jones

Hi guys, csnack/Christian Jones from old forum. So I have an Akai S3000xl in 9/10 condition that I keep in an lcd TV box in my closet for many years now. Thing is w/ Kontakt and everything I'll likely never use it again, and it doesn't really have that lofi character like the MPC60 et al, but it *was* Akai's top of the line when it came out fwiw. But I don't know that it will ever gain "classic" status like maybe even the MPC2000xl. Is there any point to holding on to it? Will it appreciate or will/does just no one care about it? I have an old Korg Z1 I'll never part with and at one time I said the same about this Akai, but really the thing is big and just taking up space and I'd like some other gear. I can maybe get $250-270 for it on CL here in Seattle (no ebay/PayPal fees or shipping). Funny, I asked this same question maybe 10 years ago on the old Tweakheadz forum (rip Rich) and Rich replied and said he didn't think it'd have any real appreciable value. Honestly I've been holding on to it for the sake of having a piece of gear from back in the day.. 

Edited by Christian Jones

I got rid of my Emu 6400 ultra a few years back. The person who bought it was so chuffed to get it. So one way of looking at it, would be will it be getting the use it was made for. You could always put the money into something physical, such as a mic, so you can always have the connection.

1 hour ago, pwalpwal said:

i got rid of my sh-101 back in '92, wish i hadn't...

I got rid of my SH-101, Drumatix, Bassline and Juno 6 in the mid eighties!

I still have my Yamaha A3000 which, like @Christian Jones and his Akai S3000 XL, I never use and only used it on a couple of tracks I make back in the early 2000s when I got it. I realised very quickly that samplers just wern't my thing...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

I got rid of my SH-101, Drumatix, Bassline and Juno 6 in the mid eighties!

I still have my Yamaha A3000 which, like @Christian Jones and his Akai S3000 XL, I never use and only used it on a couple of tracks I make back in the early 2000s when I got it. I realised very quickly that samplers just wern't my thing...

i bought my 101 second hand for 90 quid in 1989, then sold it on to a mate for 90 quid in 1992 when i graduated uni and moved town... i ain't no business man! lol ... (it's the only hardware synth i ever owned...)

one thing about early samplers, listening now to music made with them you can really hear the (lack of) bit depth...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

i ain't no business man!

That makes two of us haha! 😄

I paid full price for all that gear and was lucky to get half of that back when I "needed the money." If only I knew then what I know now!

As for the bit depth, yeah, but I'm sure you'll get the retro mob saying how cool it all sounded haha.

Fairlight CMI anyone!

7 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

i bought my 101 second hand for 90 quid in 1989, then sold it on to a mate for 90 quid in 1992 when i graduated uni and moved town... i ain't no business man! lol ... (it's the only hardware synth i ever owned...)

one thing about early samplers, listening now to music made with them you can really hear the (lack of) bit depth...

I kept my SH101 and Drumatix right from the early 80s until about 8 years ago. Sold them as a pair to a London DJ for £600. I was amazed to get that much.

• Like 1