Michaels House - final mix check

bats brew

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/michaels-house-mix2

this is the vocal version (there is an instrumental version as well)
of a song, that in a way, is kind of a eulogy for a friend.

this will be on the upcoming bats brew album called "the wild animals"

i'm looking to find out if the bass and drums are translating well or not,
on different playback systems.

tnx for help.

I liked this Bat. Loved the lead, excellent work with the delay too.  The harmony leads really stood out as  a highlight of the song to me. 

As I was listening I could see you running around the stage having a grand ole time!! It has that kind of feel to it for me. 

The half speed break in the middle was really tasteful and next thing I know..... it was back up to speed and jamming!  Really good work there.

I'd say that one is a keeper.

Bass and drums are solid here, better on the DT-990's and the RME Babyface than the Bose/Logitech (checked both, found that interesting).
My tired ears would like a little more beater on the kick, but again; my tired ears.
I'd "print" this one.
I will "echo" Grem on his eval of the tune overall; as always Well Done! But, I'm a fan so there you go.

Thanks for sharing, you are a constant inspiration, wish I still had this kind of energy.

T

18 hours ago, Grem said:

I liked this Bat. Loved the lead, excellent work with the delay too.  The harmony leads really stood out as  a highlight of the song to me. 

As I was listening I could see you running around the stage having a grand ole time!! It has that kind of feel to it for me. 

The half speed break in the middle was really tasteful and next thing I know..... it was back up to speed and jamming!  Really good work there.

I'd say that one is a keeper.

HEY GREM!

THANKS for the review..

yea, the harmony lead, i had to learn the harmony AFTER i did the solo!

LOL

it wasn't easy, cuz the fingering i chose to do the melody of the lead with, proved to be too weird to reproduce on the harmony...

so i did it so it didn't line up properly, and gives the impression of a hot mess!

LOL again.... which i kinda like, it's in keeping with the furious intent of that part of the song.

i just can't decide if i have enough low end in the mix, 

i'm trying to keep it clean and punchy, but i don't want it too light weight.

Edited by batsbrew

8 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Bass and drums are solid here, better on the DT-990's and the RME Babyface than the Bose/Logitech (checked both, found that interesting).
My tired ears would like a little more beater on the kick, but again; my tired ears.
I'd "print" this one.
I will "echo" Grem on his eval of the tune overall; as always Well Done! But, I'm a fan so there you go.

Thanks for sharing, you are a constant inspiration, wish I still had this kind of energy.

T

hey tom! thanks man, for listening...

more beater, check.

that's easy, i've got 3 kick mics, one dedicated to sub, and the other two i can tweak a hundred ways! LOL

you say the low end sounds balanced,

yet someone elsewhere just told me that the balance of the low end is completely off!!

LOL

which makes it hard to determine if it's my playback, or their playback, that's off.

cuz it sounds good to me!

but what do i know....

Bat, the low end gives me the most difficulty.  Just like you, it's ok  on my system, my low end is good. Play it on something else and it's way over the top. But on another system it's acceptable. I am just not good at mastering. 

Melda and Izotope makes some stuff that helps. It just doesn't come easy to me!! I gotta work at it. : )

Well I suppose it ain't bad, I mean clear space for the instrument voices, suitable vocal level to hear them clearly without being in your face, guitar tone well I have to confess it sounds OK, drums sit nicely in the mix, bass is present without dominating.  I suppose at a push I could give it a :) :) :);)B| 

On 8/24/2019 at 8:44 AM, Wookiee said:

Well I suppose it ain't bad, I mean clear space for the instrument voices, suitable vocal level to hear them clearly without being in your face, guitar tone well I have to confess it sounds OK, drums sit nicely in the mix, bass is present without dominating.  I suppose at a push I could give it a :) :) :);)B| 

hey wookiee!

thanks for listening to this one,

bass present without dominating, that is the goal!

ok, so i shouldn't mess around with that one too much

• Like 1