Send audio to VSTi

Eve Ripper

Question

Is there any way to route audio input to vsti? I want to use sampler features. Like I would like to resample my drum machine and fast enough add sound to sampler. I know there’s no support of this function (I think only Reaper can do this kind of routing).

But is there another way?

9 answers to this question

13 hours ago, TheSteven said:

If audio is coming into Cakewalk in an Audio Track - can't you drop your plugin in the track's FX bin?

+

VSTi is technically the same as VST with MIDI input.  If I remember correctly, Cakewalk has always supported that. In fact in old Sonar versions it was tricky to allow MIDI input for normal FXes (f.e. Guitar processor), it had to be declared as VSTi using a "hack".  But since VSTi by definition accepts audio in/out, it can be used as an FX.

Yes, whether audio is processed by a synth is up to the plug-in developer.

Some plug-in manufacturers supply FX versions of their synths. Examples of this type of plug-in are Z3ta+ Classic, ImpOSCar2, Oddity 2, Minimonsta,, XILS 3/4 and Synthmaster.

Some synths have audio processing built into the synth plug-in. Some examples are Pentagon I, Arp 2500 V3, Modular V3

The only sampler I have that advertises the ability to record audio is TX16Wx but I havenever been able to get it to work in CbB. Years ago, I recall the developer stating recording was only supported in Reaper. Not sure why, other VST format plug-ins (the only examples I have installed are loopers in Th3 and Guitar Rig 5) support recording in CbB.

In all cases for a plug-in to process audio in CbB, the plug-in must be instantiated in an audio track FX Rack or ProChannel.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:01 AM, scook said:

In all cases for a plug-in to process audio in CbB, the plug-in must be instantiated in an audio track FX Rack or ProChannel.

This comment from scook above clarifies what I was trying to say earlier:

As far as I can tell, Cakewalk and Sonar do not provide for any audio input to a virtual instrument.

So the plug-in must be configured by the developer as an FX version in order to receive audio in Cakewalk, and instantiated as scook says.  Cakewalk will not route audio to an instrument in an instrument track.

The looper in TH3 works fine and records audio, but that complies with being an FX plugin inserted into the audio FX bin.

I don't know of any samplers capable of live audio recording to test with in CbB that are not locked to the DAW they are bundled with, the exception being TX16Wx.  And Cakewalk sees that plugin as an instrument only, so no luck there.

Edited by abacab

The plug-in does not have to scan or be setup as FX in CbB.

Some developers provide FX versions of the plug-ins, some do not and their synth versions process audio in CbB.

I mentioned several synths in my previous post which do not scan as FX and are not setup as FX but still process audio when placed in instrument/audio PC, clip, or track FX racks. Granted Pentagon has a switch in the plug-in UI that must be enabled and the Arturia synths need the audio inputs in the UI wired up appropriately.

Another plug-in recognized as a synth in CbB that process audio (in fact that is its only purpose)  is XILS Labs XILS 5000 Vocoder. Again there is no FX version of the plug-in, it scans as a synth yet processes audio when added to any instrument/audio track PC, clip or track FX rack.