I regret rubbing ketchup in my eyes ...

SteveStrummerUK

18 hours ago, antler said:

Let me see if I understand this: instead of taking a 'dumb' salt shaker in one hand and shaking it over your food; you can now hold a smalt in one hand, and a smartphone in the other hand, and you can shake your smartphone to make the smalt dispense salt onto your food. <sarcasm> I can really see how this makes things easier </sarcasm>

Yeah, but the how does your old fashioned dumb shaker know when to stop applying the salt if you haven't pre-told it how much to dispense?😉

17 hours ago, antler said:

I've got an idea that I think will be really popular: a fridge, but with a door that's completely flush with no handle; it might have some mood lighting - it will look amazing. To open the door, you simply touch the button on the corresponding smartphone app.

Recently I was wandering around an electrical domestic appliance store to kill some waiting time. They had some very expensive regular home size fridges with dark glass opaque doors that had stickers on them inviting you to knock on the door and see what happens. I looked around for the cameras, but didnt see any obvious ones so I obliged and the fridge lit up and I could then see through the previously dark doors and thus the contents of the fridge (had there been any) were revealed to me. At that point a salesman arrived at my side and started his spiel.....how cool is that? etc....... I asked him what was the point if it and he told me it was energy saving and therefore good for the planet because you can look inside without opening the door and letting the cooled air out which the fridge then has to go to work to replace. My response was the obvious one.... how many times do people in their own homes go just to have a look at what is in the fridge, but not take anything out? He looked at me like I was the one being silly. 

Then there was the guy when I picked my car up the other week wanting me to install a device on the car that would send a message to an app on my phone to let me know when the fuel level was getting low.............FFS!

3 hours ago, paulo said:

Yeah, but the how does your old fashioned dumb shaker know when to stop applying the salt if you haven't pre-told it how much to dispense?

Ah... that's why my food's so salty; I see the error in my ways now

2 hours ago, paulo said:

Then there was the guy when I picked my car up the other week wanting me to install a device on the car that would send a message to an app on my phone to let me know when the fuel level was getting low.............FFS!

Such a great idea; it even encourages someone to use their phone while driving!

Disclaimer: do not use your phone while driving; it is a very bad idea

Edited by antler

9 hours ago, paulo said:

Recently I was wandering around an electrical domestic appliance store to kill some waiting time. They had some very expensive regular home size fridges with dark glass opaque doors that had stickers on them inviting you to knock on the door and see what happens. I looked around for the cameras, but didnt see any obvious ones so I obliged and the fridge lit up and I could then see through the previously dark doors and thus the contents of the fridge (had there been any) were revealed to me. At that point a salesman arrived at my side and started his spiel.....how cool is that? etc....... I asked him what was the point if it and he told me it was energy saving and therefore good for the planet because you can look inside without opening the door and letting the cooled air out which the fridge then has to go to work to replace. My response was the obvious one.... how many times do people in their own homes go just to have a look at what is in the fridge, but not take anything out? He looked at me like I was the one being silly. 

[conspiracy theory]

It's all part of the master plot to remove all thinking from the masses.  Soon they will be relying on their so-called "smart" phones and devices to do all their thinking for them which, naturally, can be accessed by the government who will start directing people to do and think as they wish.

[/conspiracy theory]

Unfortunately, it's not really a theory...

7 hours ago, antler said:

Such a great idea; it even encourages someone to use their phone while driving!

The phone is bluetoothed up to the car silly so it's hands free. The message would just appear right in front of you on the dashboard display........just like the fuel guage does.........oh wait........😕

37 minutes ago, craigb said:

[conspiracy theory]

It's all part of the master plot to remove all thinking from the masses.  Soon they will be relying on their so-called "smart" phones and devices to do all their thinking for them which, naturally, can be accessed by the government who will start directing people to do and think as they wish.

[/conspiracy theory]

Unfortunately, it's not really a theory...

Another true story......last year I was in a clothing store looking to use up an about to expire gift card. Not really my kind of place tbh hence why the card was about to expire, but it seemed wasteful / ungrateful to just let it expire so I figured that a t-shirt is a t-shirt and they sold some of those so that should be easy enough.............

Turns out that none of the t-shirts had size labels in them and there was no place to try them on and tbh they all looked too big for me. I had no choice but to ask how anyone was supposed to know what the sizes were when the obvious was pointed out to me............You download the app from the store then scan the squiggly thing on the  price label of the shirt you like with your phone camera and then it will tell you what size it is. Stupid me.😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, paulo said:

Another true story......last year I was in a clothing store looking to use up an about to expire gift card. Not really my kind of place tbh hence why the card was about to expire, but it seemed wasteful / ungrateful to just let it expire so I figured that a t-shirt is a t-shirt and they sold some of those so that should be easy enough.............

Turns out that none of the t-shirts had size labels in them and there was no place to try them on and tbh they all looked too big for me. I had no choice but to ask how anyone was supposed to know what the sizes were when the obvious was pointed out to me............You download the app from the store then scan the squiggly thing on the  price label of the shirt you like with your phone camera and then it will tell you what size it is. Stupid me.😂

Still, it was nice of you not to do the "Amazon" method.  I would NEVER want to sell clothes there!  The standard action is to buy three sizes then return the two that didn't fit...  

Arrgh-facepalm-bear.jpg

29 minutes ago, craigb said:

Still, it was nice of you not to do the "Amazon" method.  I would NEVER want to sell clothes there!  The standard action is to buy three sizes then return the two that didn't fit...  

That wasn't an option because the voucher was only enough to cover one t-shirt and there was no way I was giving them more than the value of the voucher. I bought a backpack in the end instead.

As for the amazon thing, I wouldn't buy clothing mail order but I can see why people who do would do that tbh. Clothes sizes seem to vary so much - when buying jeans I have been known to be three different sizes in the same store.

Edited by paulo

32 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Was at Whole Foods looking what they had gluten free and was directed to download their app for best experience and discounts. Guess they really don't want my business😣 

Hopefully you gave them what they seemed to want.