On The Horizon - semi classical

bjornpdx

A work in progress. I like the melody but the arrangement could be a lot better.
I wrote this a few years ago with a flute and guitar instruments but I decided to change to violin and piano which sounded better to me.
The piano part isn't how a piano is usually played I guess.

I used the violin and concert grand instruments from the Kontakt Factory Library so nothing fancy there.

Thanks for listening.

• Like 1

cool composition and I would consider continuing to find instruments - the piano is decent, actually, maybe some more natural room reverb on it. The violin to me is super artificial - and dry - maybe reverb helps that along, too.

Extra kudos for some nice counterpoint along the way!

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

amiller
Thanks. Appreciate the listen.

Tom
I tried lots of different violin and string vsts and they all sounded too much like violins - that kind of scratchy sound they make that I don't like.
The factory violin in Kontakt sounded pretty good to me. Gonna try using straight ahead synth sound instead as per Daryl's suggestion below.

JohnB
Thanks for listening and commenting.

Daryl
Thanks.  See my comment to Tom above.

• Like 1

The phrasing of a violin can be difficult to achieve even with the best libraries. I 'd also try switching it out with a synth lead, moog etc... If you have a decent harpsichord vi/patch you might try that in place of the piano too.

The use of different instruments might help inspire the arrangement or compositional changes.