WISHLIST! WIFI REMOTE

Stxx

Many here have suggested control surfaces but that’s not what I’m requesting.  You need a screen interface and not just transport and faders.  Protools now has it as do a few other daws.   Right now I have 2  scenarios I work in.  One, when I do client work where I can it at my main desktop and 2, where I play and record from the drumset wheee I have a second computer (laptop) which has CnB loaded and when done  have to physically copy the session  over to the main computer via networkand This means if I want to play stuff back I really need identical setups (plug-ins etc) which is not possible.  .  I want an app that allows me run only from the main computer, like apps from modern digital mixers and other daws which lets you mix and do Somme more advanced functions besides transport and levels.  what good do a control surface do if the screen is in another part of the room?

Edited by Stxx

5 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Great idea! I use TeamViewer every day in my day job but never considered it as a remote control for a DAW. It is indeed very responsive; I'm usually controlling computers that are physically thousands of miles away and the response times are almost like being there. Latency is going to be less than a millisecond on a local network, but even if it was 100 ms that's good enough for a control surface.

My only reservation is the network overhead and its possible impact on audio performance. Sending individual clicks, keypresses and mouse moves is a necessarily inefficient use of bandwidth because every event may require its own packet, and your network card's interrupts take priority over your audio interface's. I could see it occasionally causing a dropout. I doubt it would be a concern for me, as my ASIO buffer size stays at 2048 at all times, but it might be an issue for someone wanting very low latency, e.g. a drummer playing Superior Drummer in real time.

For tracking and playback This would not effect audio performance.  For overdubbing maybe 

6 hours ago, Stxx said:

For tracking and playback This would not effect audio performance.  For overdubbing maybe 

I think it could. Whenever users are having dropouts due to DPC latency, 9 times out of 10 it's because of the network adapter preempting interrupts from the audio interface.

To use the Eucon "ProTools Control" app on an iPad, the DAW itself need not be connected via WiFi.

The DAW itself can be connected via hardwire (Ethernet).

There's no performance hit (or worry about higher DPC Latency).  ;)

The iPad (tablet) is the only device connected via WiFi.

I've already tested this configuration.

It works fine with Sonar/CbB... as well as all other Eucon enabled DAW applications (obviously including ProTools).

Other than the time to actually configure all the options, it's pretty easy to set-up.

Edited by Jim Roseberry

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 11:41 AM, Grigorios said:

Where might I find the EUCON Cakewalk plug-in so that I can try to work with the Protools Control app?  One link that I found supposedly offers the 32bit and 64bit version but requires an old Cakewalk/SONAR account login to download which I don't have and cannot create:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013271/EUCON-Control-Surface-Support-for-SONAR-X1

I found another link that doesn't require a login, but it appears that it is 32bit and it won't install.

Thank you,

G

I've been looking too. CbB docs say to just select it as a control surface but it's not there.  Any attempt to find it always takes you to the Avid site and it assumes you bought something. I'll keep looking.

Hey bitflipper...I have a frontier transport that works in windows 10.  

Maybe I could help you get yours going? Let me know if you want an assist.  It mostly has to do with allowing unsigned drivers, which is fine if you trust the device.  The device isn't supported any more and lacks some features like the pause button working in the "new" way (like 2009 new I think).

I've been asking for it. Presonus guys have a great remote app to control Studio One for example https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One-Remote. I would like to see something like this for Cakewalk, but I think it won't happen in a few months. Still there's a chance to use TouchOSC in Cakewalk and there's a forum for AZcontroller http://www.azslow.com/  which was created to use OSC. It works. 

I know this isn't what the original poster requested, but thought this was as good a place as any to mention my solution to recording and playing at the same time. I set up markers where I know I will need them for recording takes, and then I use my wireless keyboard and keyboard shortcuts to navigate where I need to go and use the transport controls. I set up my keyboard on a music stand near where I'm recording my takes. This obviously only works if you're within your wireless keyboard's range, and if you're close enough to your computer monitor to see what's going on. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 8:25 PM, msmcleod said:

The Korg nanoKontrol Studio also works wireless (via Bluetooth MIDI).

The only restrictions are:

• You need to use UWP instead of MME in your MIDI config (this may affect older MIDI interfaces if you have any); and
  • AFAIK, only Windows 10 supports Bluetooth MIDI

Personally, I use the Korg nanoKontrol 2 with a long USB cable. It's stuck to the wall using velcro right next to my vocal mic.

THANK YOU for pointing this out about UWP.  I just got my nanoKontrol Studio, and it was driving me nuts.  There's nothing about this in any of the Korg "manuals," if you can call them that.

• Like 1