WISHLIST! WIFI REMOTE

Stxx

Any chance we can ever get a wifi remote for sonar.CbB?  This would be great for those of us that play and record at the same time when some of our hardware for example is located away from the laptop etc.   Ive tried Vcontrol and it is pretty much unuseable and I don't know of any other similar apps.   Just curious if anything like this might be in consideration!

Edited by Stxx
  • Like 1

The Korg nanoKontrol Studio also works wireless (via Bluetooth MIDI).

The only restrictions are:

• You need to use UWP instead of MME in your MIDI config (this may affect older MIDI interfaces if you have any); and
  • AFAIK, only Windows 10 supports Bluetooth MIDI

Personally, I use the Korg nanoKontrol 2 with a long USB cable. It's stuck to the wall using velcro right next to my vocal mic.

• Like 2

I would also love this. Years ago when I was DAW shopping, the fact that Mixcraft comes with its own wi-fi remote app was a HUGE selling point.

Since BandLab already has another DAW that runs on Android and iOS, I like to fantasize that it could be somehow be adapted to control Cakewalk.

The Mixcraft remote only does transport and master fader, but as long as I set everything up, just having the transport available is golden.

One of the  barriers to doing this is feature creep, with people saying that it would be "useless" without this or that feature. I think the time I asked about it, the first reply was that such a thing would be "useless" without the ability to arm individual tracks. Fair enough, but that adds a lot of work to creating the app.

For that level of control, I think a remote desktop like VNC with a tablet might be more appropriate.

Me, I just want to be able to have access to Play, Record, Stop, and be able to go back to the top. The ability to assign one fader would be nice, for adjusting the level in the cans, but it would not be "useless" without it.

Right now, I use a nanoKONTROL2 on a long cable like Mark. The wireless keyboard is also a fine idea. Both are rather bulkier than a phone, though.

Lemur has a Sonar template that works. There is nothing like a dedicated app though as all of the generic remote solutions either lack deep integration or are very involved to set up and the connections are unpredictable at best. The app  for Studio One works a treat straight out of the box!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tenfoot said:

Lemur has a Sonar template that works. There is nothing like a dedicated app though as all of the generic remote solutions either lack deep integration or are very involved to set up and the connections are unpredictable at best. The app  for Studio One works a treat straight out of the box!

Connection is normally as stable as local network configuration (which is easy to configure wrong).

"Deep integration" is a personal thing (in range of Control Surfaces support in CbB, f.e. content editing is not really supported). F.e. http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,295.0.html

There's a Eucon control surface plugin for CbB.

Many folks don't know this, but you can actually use the (free) ProTools Control applet to control any (Eucon capable) DAW application.

It will require some custom mapping/preparation... but it works great.

I've thought about doing an instructional video on this topic.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

I'd be reluctant to use any remote device that relied on wi-fi, just because it would require enabling the one piece of hardware most likely to have a detrimental effect on audio performance. Try to find a solution that doesn't need wi-fi.

Depending on how far away you are from your computer, a hard-wired (USB) control surface might be a better way. That's only practical for runs less than 15', but for many people that's plenty. Wireless keyboards are great, don't slow anything down, and work right out of the box. However, they also have distance limitations and many require line-of-sight to the receiver.

(Sigh. I miss my Frontier Designs Tranzport. That was a brilliant solution, but Windows 10 killed it. I know some folks here are still using one under W10, but I've never been able to get mine to work.)

19 hours ago, azslow3 said:

Connection is normally as stable as local network configuration (which is easy to configure wrong).

Maybe so, but on the same 3 setups the deeply integrated Studio One app works perfectly every time. Thats my point.

Edited by Tenfoot
Formatting

5 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

TeamViewer does the job, and it's free. It's a little crowded on a smart phone ( a stylus helps), but tablets are good.

@Craig Anderton - I've thought about having using TeamViewer or VNC myself, but I've always thought there'd be a huge performance hit.

Have you encountered any issues?

5 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

Not that I've noticed...but most of the time, I just use the wireless keyboard if I'm within reach, and use shortcuts.

That approach can be used even more sophisticated way. I have not ported the code to CbB (at least not yet), but the following works: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,423.0.html

So a mouse can be the cheapest and smallest wireless transport controller (and it can work without charging for a month or more...). And a keyboard can be the cheapest wireless button controller (with 102 buttons) 😉

19 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

TeamViewer does the job, and it's free. It's a little crowded on a smart phone ( a stylus helps), but tablets are good.

Great idea! I use TeamViewer every day in my day job but never considered it as a remote control for a DAW. It is indeed very responsive; I'm usually controlling computers that are physically thousands of miles away and the response times are almost like being there. Latency is going to be less than a millisecond on a local network, but even if it was 100 ms that's good enough for a control surface.

My only reservation is the network overhead and its possible impact on audio performance. Sending individual clicks, keypresses and mouse moves is a necessarily inefficient use of bandwidth because every event may require its own packet, and your network card's interrupts take priority over your audio interface's. I could see it occasionally causing a dropout. I doubt it would be a concern for me, as my ASIO buffer size stays at 2048 at all times, but it might be an issue for someone wanting very low latency, e.g. a drummer playing Superior Drummer in real time.

Where might I find the EUCON Cakewalk plug-in so that I can try to work with the Protools Control app?  One link that I found supposedly offers the 32bit and 64bit version but requires an old Cakewalk/SONAR account login to download which I don't have and cannot create:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013271/EUCON-Control-Surface-Support-for-SONAR-X1

I found another link that doesn't require a login, but it appears that it is 32bit and it won't install.

Thank you,

G