Synth Rack broken?

Danimal

Hello, 

It appears that since a recent update I can no longer get any audio output from any instruments when added "+" from the synth rack explorer.  Some VST's like Rapid, prompt me to activate my license. 

My work around has been to right click in the track view and add insert instruments, midi, audio tracks that way. This is very repeatable and odd - so I figured it should get reported at least. Been using Cakewalk for decades.

Thanks

-

Dan

Adding via the Synth Rack continues to work fine here. Are you inserting as a Simple Instrument or separate audio and MIDI tracks? In any case, check the MIDI/Audio I/O routing of the track(s) being created when you insert the synth, and all the usual stuff (input echo is enabled on the MIDI track, keyboard/audition function in the synth UI shows output signal, etc.).

Hello, I'm inserting them as single track VST instruments. 

After rescanning all, I did find one third-party VST instrument that was crashing bitbridge and moved it, but the problem remains.  Incidentially, Sonar Platinum which I never uninstalled does not have this issue, only the Bandlab install.

-

Dan

The question is where exactly in the MIDI/Audio data chain is the break; is it in the MIDI or audio portion of the Instrument track or is it the synth itself not generating audio output? I'd start by splitting the instrument track, and looking at the MIDI and Audio track setups separately. Are you echoing live MIDI input or playing back existing MIDI clips? If you're playing live, do you depend on Always Echo Current MIDI track, or do you manually enable input echo? 

MIDI information is getting in. I can see the lights, etc indicating that.

The problem appears to be when I instantiate any VST instrument using the Synth Rack explorer.  The reason I say that is in the case of Rapid, it's frozen asking for my authorization.  If I try, say u-He synths, I get no audio output.

In the same project, I can load up two tracks using both methods mentioned above; one works, the other does not.  Not a game changer, just a very odd "bug" that I've never seen before in... 20 years? 

Well...

It's back! Here was the issue.

I must have accidentally switched insert soft synth options (fourth icon from the "+" within the Synth Rack) from "Simple Instrument Track" to "MIDI Source".

One clue was the track icons visually looked different for the non responsive tracks.  Once I ticked the appropriate box, everything came back to normal. Thanks to all who responded. Game on!

-

Dan

Edited by Danimal

2 hours ago, Danimal said:

I must have accidentally switched insert soft synth options (fourth icon from the "+" within the Synth Rack) from "Simple Instrument Track" to "MIDI Source".

Hence why I suggested splitting the 'Instrument' track to check functionality of both parts.

Glad you got it figured in any case. Thanks for letting us know.