Jump to content
Johnbee58

An Old Old Recording

Recommended Posts

I had this as my first recording studio!  I bought it because it was one of the only 4 tracks that would record all 4 tracks at the same time. I had to sacrifice track 4 for stripping with time code to drive my Atari midi. So it was sort of only 3 tracks. It used DBX? noise reduction which made vocals sound sort of out of phase. I don't miss it one bit. I see idiots selling them for $400?? are people that hung up on analog? 

 

cws46gzlted0acztmaww.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good tune and well done. You can make some great stuff with just 4 tracks- ask the Beatles. 

I used to have a TEAC Portastudio and I would record midi rythm tracks (bass,drums, KB) from Cakewalk 1.0 onto tracks 1& 2 in stereo, and then put vocals, leads, GTR,etc on 3 & 4. You could get a lot of parts into your recording that way. As Brian Wilson would say : "saturate the tape".

Cheers,

Bert

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2021 at 11:30 PM, John Vere said:

I had this as my first recording studio!  I bought it because it was one of the only 4 tracks that would record all 4 tracks at the same time. I had to sacrifice track 4 for stripping with time code to drive my Atari midi. So it was sort of only 3 tracks. It used DBX? noise reduction which made vocals sound sort of out of phase. I don't miss it one bit. I see idiots selling them for $400?? are people that hung up on analog? 

 

cws46gzlted0acztmaww.jpg

I remember those too.  I almost bought one!  Like you, I don't see the (re)attraction to analog recording, but YouTube is full of recent vids about it  Why would anybody want to step backwards?

🙂 John B

PS-I think it was the MT2X I had my eyes on.

Edited by Johnbee58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bert Guy said:

Good tune and well done. You can make some great stuff with just 4 tracks- ask the Beatles. 

I used to have a TEAC Portastudio and I would record midi rythm tracks (bass,drums, KB) from Cakewalk 1.0 onto tracks 1& 2 in stereo, and then put vocals, leads, GTR,etc on 3 & 4. You could get a lot of parts into your recording that way. As Brian Wilson would say : "saturate the tape".

Cheers,

Bert

Yes, but the Beatles had better technology even in '67.  Thanks for the kudos.

🙂 John B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the interest in tape is that those people feel like this missed out on some golden era of recording. They do all the wrong things with a DAW and then think if they record to tape all those issues will be solved. The stupid thing is most of them can't afford the tape machines that would actually sound good and they start looking at cassettes! How dumb is that. Cassette never could compete with a proper reel to reel ever. 

I have way too many of those old cassette recordings and about all I can say is- I wish I had a DAW when I did that! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Vere said:

I think the interest in tape is that those people feel like this missed out on some golden era of recording. They do all the wrong things with a DAW and then think if they record to tape all those issues will be solved. The stupid thing is most of them can't afford the tape machines that would actually sound good and they start looking at cassettes! How dumb is that. Cassette never could compete with a proper reel to reel ever. 

I have way too many of those old cassette recordings and about all I can say is- I wish I had a DAW when I did that! 

I actually had 2. Fostex X15 and a Fostex 160 multitracker which ran at twice the standard speed.  This recording was on the X15. I just recently gave those to a Youtuber who calls himself joshismakingmusic.  I also gave him my Yamaha drum machine.  He says he will make a video on them soon.

Jb

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...