Dieting

bayoubill

39 minutes ago, craigb said:

using bone broth

I've been making my own bone broth, using a slow cooker, and slowly cooking for 36 hours. I freeze them into ice cubes. I usually drink about eight ounces in between lunch and dinner. Not only does it curb my appetite, but It really has been helping with inflammation.  Also great for a sauce, or soup! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.L.I.P. said:

I've been making my own bone broth, using a slow cooker, and slowly cooking for 36 hours. I freeze them into ice cubes. I usually drink about eight ounces in between lunch and dinner. Not only does it curb my appetite, but It really has been helping with inflammation.  Also great for a sauce, or soup! 

I just looked up how to make it. Now you got me wanting to try this!

1 hour ago, S.L.I.P. said:

16 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

I just looked up how to make it. Now you got me wanting to try this!

Your knees and other joints will thank you!

21 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Now you got me wanting to try this!

SLOW COOKER BONE BROTH

Ingredients

2 carrots chopped medium

2 celery stalks chopped medium

1 medium onion chopped medium

2 cloves garlic

3.5 lb beef or chicken bones or combination of both

Kosher salt

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

water

Directions

Place the bones into your slow cooker. The bones should fill up about 3/4 of the slow-cooker.

Chop your vegetables and garlic, no need to peel. You can also add vegetable scraps. You'll be straining these out before consuming the broth.

Fill the slow-cooker with water. Season with 1 teaspoon salt .

Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (you won't notice the taste)

Cook on low and cook for 18-72 hours.

Strain the broth through cheesecloth or a strainer and cool. A good broth will usually have a layer of fat on the top, and will gelatinize when thoroughly cool. Remove the fat with a spoon and discard.

I usually cook it for 36 hours. After straining, I let it sit in the fridge overnight, which makes it super easy to remove the fat the next day.  I freeze it up in ice cube trays, and put the cubes into a Ziploc bag. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, craigb said:

Sounds like I need to get my slow cooker out of storage... 

Nothing I've ever made in a slow cooker was ever great. I'm happy to finally have a great use for it! 

18 minutes ago, craigb said:

Ok, gotta ask.  What's with the ice cubes?

The slow cooker will make quite a bit of bone broth, so freezing into cubes is easy storage.  Also if I'm making a sauce it is very easy to grab a couple of cubes to put into the pan.  Each cube is about an ounce.  If I'm making a soup and it calls for a couple of cups of stock, or broth I'm able to grab the correct amount in cubes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bayoubill said:

speaking of, I have to come up with supper. I Am thinking tacos at the moment

I  Am  not thinking of Tacos.   Thinking we're having slow cooked chicken tonight.

My wife was told recently to go on a gluten free diet.    We have been revamping our main dishes.   I can say the gluten free diet has been helping her so it is well worth it.

On a different note.  See it is about music in a way (he he).  Anyone here use an Air Fryer for cooking?     My wife has to go gluten free and I thought an air fryer might be something to help make meals easier to prepare for us.   Any suggestions folks I'm all ears :)

15 hours ago, InstrEd said:

On a different note.  See it is about music in a way (he he).  Anyone here use an Air Fryer for cooking?     My wife has to go gluten free and I thought an air fryer might be something to help make meals easier to prepare for us.   Any suggestions folks I'm all ears :)

I've got a Tefal Actifry.

It blows hot air over the food at a temp of 180 C. You can't change that as with a plate or owen but you adjust the time you fry the food.

The advantage as i see it is the little shovel that moves the food while it's being fried. It eliminates the need to stand there. You just set the timer and go and watch tv or something. It also makes the food get a more even fried surface.

You still have to use a little bit of oil.

It have to be somewhat smaller bits of food than in a fryingpan to fit the airfryer.