Help please. Windows and CbB crashing after updates of both

Billy86

Hope someone can help....

I'm randomly running into the Blue Screen of Death after the latest Windows update (Version 1903) when launching the latest CbB version., 2019/07. I seem to be able to launch CbB projects with low track counts and plugins (hit or miss), but not the hefty one I'm in the middle of. Crashes every time with references to problem plugin.dlls spread among the ones in the project.

The blue screen says this... STOP CODE: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. I have no idea what that means. 

I tried to troubleshoot based on this: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-fix-page-fault-error-windows-10,36234.html

The "scan now" function resulted in this message: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at... and it showed me where the log is on my hard drive. Opened it; again no idea what it's telling me. I'm running the latest Windows 10 home edition on an SSD. 

The next thing on the troubleshooting list suggests setting a custom size for the page file. To what? It doesn't say. I have 32 gigs RAM.

Any ideas what I should try next? Thanks... 

For me, after the last windows update, I had to re-register some of my plugins (like AD2). I also had to zip through all the hardware and disable the selective suspend stuff.

In other words, I had to kick off Latency Monitor and hunt down all the issues that come with a fresh install.

HTH

Blue screens are either a driver issue or hardware failture.

Initially I was going to suggest that maybe a driver was updated when Windows perform its update.  That is until I read about corrupted files.  Maybe have a look at the SMART info for your system drive.

Can you check your system event viewer for disk errors (like bad blocks)

You might also consider doing a 'Refresh' of Windows, where Microsoft essentially replaces your current Windows installation, with a shiny new copy of Windows, and it is my understanding that this preserves your current installed programs and settings and such.

I have not performed this refresh of Windows, but I DID replace a bad motherboard with a completely different one from another manufacturer, and unbelievably, Windows dealt with that MASSIVE change internally, as they use what they call an 'Abstraction Layer', where the hardware and the software are fairly independent of each other, making things like swapping out a motherboard possible.

If you cannot locate information on doing this refresh - just post back here on that, and I will spend a little time digging up the info for you.  (I will also cruise through the info, to make sure what I am suggesting you look into doing would actually be helpful for you).

Bob Bone

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Billy86 said:

... I seem to be able to launch CbB projects with low track counts and plugins (hit or miss), but not the hefty one I'm in the middle of. Crashes every time with references to problem plugin.dlls spread among the ones in the project.

If it's only crashing with bigger projects, that would suggest problems with certain plugins rather than system files (in which case you'd likely have crashes on every project).

Try a RESET and RESCAN of your VSTs.  (Make sure you do BOTH.  Many users inexplicably bypass the RESET and only do a  RESCAN when it's just as often the former that fixes the issue).

3 minutes ago, JonD said:

Try a RESET and RESCAN of your VSTs.  (Make sure you do BOTH.

A VST reset automatically performs a scan after clearing the VST Inventory in the registry. Usually there is no need to perform a scan after running a reset.

Thanks everyone. I’m going to start with the VST reset/rescan and hope that takes care of it. Would prefer not to have to open the hood of the OS and start mucking around. The problem seemed to start when I added a particular VSTi plugin. CbB locked up and crashed, then the other issues started kicking in. I can’t open the project to remove that VSTi to see if that makes a difference.

Hopefully the reset will clear it up. I’ll post back when I do this. Appreciate the help.

Billy

I cannot recall an instance where a VST reset fixed a blue screen problem but running one won't hurt anything. As mentioned above blue screens are almost always driver/hardware problems.

My first post was an effort to dispel the notion that a scan must be performed after a VST reset. A VST reset is a scan that clears the VST inventory in the registry before scanning.

Hi, I am brand new here and am not very good with computers, not even sure what you mean about the version of windows you have because mine says something like 10.0.17763 Build 17763 so not sure how to read your version, but the only thing I wanted to comment on, Windows is pretty good about doing an auto restore before updating so maybe you should restore to the previous version for now?  Sorry that I am not more helpful!

Edited by kazzamy

Well… The computer BSOD went from bad to worse, no matter what I did. Death spiral.

So, my ol' Dell 3rd gen i5 3450 has moved on to the great silicone ranch in the sky. It served me well for 8 years, from my office then down-streamed into the music room. Fortunately, I back up my data to an external drive.

The good news is, I have the chance to buy a new DAW computer. I've had good luck with Dell for years, so that's where I'll go again. All I’ll use it for is recording/mixing. Web browsing when needed. Any tech-savvy advice for getting the most bang for the buck appreciated! I know it’s a balance of budget versus performance. I’m thinking CPU speed is Job 1. Thoughts? I’ll have at least 16 gigs of DDR4 Ram.

My go to plug-ins are typically Waves, Izotope, SoundToys and a couple of Eventide. And I also do some MIDI and run virtual instruments, primarily Kontakt and Addictive Drums.  No matter what I get, I’m going to install a Samsung NVMe SSD to run the OS and CbB (should I also run all the plugins and VSTi’s off of it?) I'm looking at at clean start on the configuration... 

Thanks for any wisdom on the technical stuff...

29 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

Thanks for any wisdom on the technical stuff...

One thing I can suggest is that you disable every solitary power saving feature you can find.  Speedstep (sometime called EIST), C-States, USB power management - lose all of it.  Set CPU min and Max to 100% in WIndows power settings.

Use highest performance power settings. If you have an Nvidia card, set Power Management Mode to "prefer Maximum Performance in 3d settings...(Remember, some plugins use the GPU for any dynamic GUIs - melda plugins do this)

Another thing, is fully patch your PC.  Make sure you always use the latest drivers for all hardware (Video, network, Audio interface - everything).  Do all this before installing CbB.

Disable any audio devices you don't use.

Settle on a sample rate and set every audio device you do use (and have enabled) to that sample rate - even in Windows Control Panel sound settings. 

Obviously use ASIO for your main audio interface.  Avoid ASIO4ALL like the plague.

Others will have further suggestions.

37 minutes ago, Promidi said:

One thing I can suggest is that you disable every solitary power saving feature you can find.  Speedstep (sometime called EIST), C-States, USB power management - lose all of it.  Set CPU min and Max to 100% in WIndows power settings.

Use highest performance power settings. If you have an Nvidia card, set Power Management Mode to "prefer Maximum Performance in 3d settings...(Remember, some plugins use the GPU for any dynamic GUIs - melda plugins do this)

Another thing, is fully patch your PC.  Make sure you always use the latest drivers for all hardware (Video, network, Audio interface - everything).  Do all this before installing CbB.

Disable any audio devices you don't use.

Settle on a sample rate and set every audio device you do use (and have enabled) to that sample rate - even in Windows Control Panel sound settings. 

Obviously use ASIO for your main audio interface.  Avoid ASIO4ALL like the plague.

Others will have further suggestions.

Thanks so much.  Have you ever heard of/used this: https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

I been using it for a few years on my computer and it prevents cores from parking, spreading the work load. It made a big difference for my old i5; before using it, core 1 would nearly max out before any other core engaged and the CPU would really chug. After installing it I could see my 4 cores working evenly in the performance monitor and the GUI park control has.

Easy to configure depending on what you need. It has a "highest performance" mode which I believe automatically overrides all the Windows power management settings.

Before you invest in an M.2 2280 PCIe NVME, you need to make sure the computer you are planning to install it into supports that kind of hardware.

I happen to have an Alienware 17 R5, which has the support for the M.2 2280 PCIe drives (comes with 1, supports a total of 2 of them, and the drives can either be the NVME or SATA III type).  I upgraded the boot drive from a 128 GB M2. 2280 PCIe SATA III drive to an NVME drive that is 2 TB, and added a 2nd identical 2 TB NVME drive, and then I also replaced the 1 TB SATA III HDD, with a 2 TB SATA III SSD.  (so, there are 3 2 TB drives after the upgrades, 2 NVME and 1 SATA III SSD) This laptop also has a Thunderbolt 3 port, which transmits data from a Thunderbolt 3 audio interface I bought - at ridiculous speeds.

Anyways - check the laptop/desktop specs to make sure NVME support is indeed there.  :)

Bob Bone

2 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Before you invest in an M.2 2280 PCIe NVME, you need to make sure the computer you are planning to install it into supports that kind of hardware.

I happen to have an Alienware 17 R5, which has the support for the M.2 2280 PCIe drives (comes with 1, supports a total of 2 of them, and the drives can either be the NVME or SATA III type).  I upgraded the boot drive from a 128 GB M2. 2280 PCIe SATA III drive to an NVME drive that is 2 TB, and added a 2nd identical 2 TB NVME drive, and then I also replaced the 1 TB SATA III HDD, with a 2 TB SATA III SSD.  (so, there are 3 2 TB drives after the upgrades, 2 NVME and 1 SATA III SSD) This laptop also has a Thunderbolt 3 port, which transmits data from a Thunderbolt 3 audio interface I bought - at ridiculous speeds.

Anyways - check the laptop/desktop specs to make sure NVME support is indeed there.  :)

Bob Bone

Hi. Yep.  Everything I’m looking at supports that protocol.  Can’t wait for the speed upgrade, even from a SATA SSD  I was using in the crashed computer.  Thanks. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Oscar Martín Díez-Canseco said:

Hello. This is happening again. Problems with the Cakewalk vst with the plugin manager. 

You have just replied to a two year old thread. 

You would be better off starting a new thread.  Mention your PC configuration and what you have tried so far.

1 hour ago, Oscar Martín Díez-Canseco said:

Hello. This is happening again. Problems with the Cakewalk vst with the plugin manager. 

How can this be happening again when it never happened in the first place? The OP's entire system packed up - so it was not linked to "The Cake" what-so-ever. 

You're issue seems to be plugin manager related, this thread was open on a BSOD issue.