Metronome and Melodyne record timing bug

Murray Webster

1 hour ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

Have you tried bouncing them as clips before recording ?

i always do that and have not come across this. You can always undo if the bounce is no good.

J

Yes, that was the workaround - bit of a pain if there were a lot of them in a work in progress.

Definitely a bug I think but I don't need the metronome count-in more often than not.

M

I contacted Celemony on this issue Thursday and let then know of this issue.   I originally didn't tell them is was related to the count-in until I figured that out.  I sent another email to them letting them know what I found,  Waiting to hear back from them. Ill keep you posted as I hear more.

Edited by markrounds

A similar thing has been known to happen with both audio and MIDI recording...  new clips are laid down a measure late in the timeline when count-in is enabled. I've never experienced it myself so have always suspected it was related to interoperability of certain audio interface drivers with Cakewalk. If you're using WDM driver mode, maybe try switching to ASIO or vice versa.

BTW, what sample rate are you running? If it's 88.2 or 96kHz, possibly some subroutine is not accounting for the doubled number of samples in a measure vs. more common 44.1 and 48...? Just a thought.

I have spoken to Celemony and they were able reproduced this on their side.  They believe this is a Cakewalk issue, I have reported this to Cakewalk support and they said they will also do the same.   Hopefully they will provide a fix.

Here is their response to me.

Dear Mark,

Yes indeed this is the behaviour. But this is an issue on side of Cakewalk as they don’t report the correct timing to Melodyne. Melodyne ARA is completely pendent on what the DAW tells it. If the DAW does tell the incorrect data Melodyne will follow this data. For your understanding: ARA is a protocol which sits between the DAW and Melodyne so that the DAW can communicate directly with the application. The protocol itself is implemented in the DAW from the developer of the DAW in this case Cakewalk.

So this is an issue you should report to Cakewalk as they need to fix this on their side. Unfortunately this is nothing we can do from our side the only thing we can do and we will is to report this to them also.

Best,

Rob

Interesting that Melodyne are able to reproduce it. I would have thought there would be many reports of this on the forum if it affects all installations.  I use Melodyne mainly for MIDI extraction, and have probably never tried to record with pitch-correction enabled; I'll have to give it a try.

Hey Chuck, FWIW, any time you run into sync problems like that, it can help to have 'Set Now Time with Full Restart' enabled in Track View Options.  The trade-off is that moving the Now time during playback will sound a little glitchy (i.e. not 'gapless').   Basically, it's the equivalent of quickly stopping and restarting  the transport when you move the Now time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, ron murphy said:

This is happening to me too but on EZ Drummer 2. I'm almost sure it never did this before the update but I'm not 100% sure.

The issue here had to do with Region FX.

Your issue might be related to latency ? Check your soundcard and or your midi buffer size.