First Few m/s never render cleanly on Export

Mark Morgon-Shaw

This has been an issue as long as I can recall.

If you export your mix at the point where audio/midi starts, it's never clean...there's alway some kind of glitch/crackle/dropped note etc.

Many folks just work around it. i.e  have the track start later down the timeline , say bar 5 ..and when making the export selection have it start a 16th early thus avoiding any glitchy-ness.

I don't use other DAWs but I have had my ProTools and Logic using friends tell me this isn't an issue for them, it just bounces out as expected..no glitches

Can this be fixed? So we can start the counce at any point in the track without glitches. Some sort of pre-roll buffer ? 

Edited by CosmicDolphin

I've generally only encountered this kind of thing with specific soft synths or FX plugins that don't 'play nice' with Fast Bounce. Sometimes it can be fixed by increasing  the real-time ASIO buffer size which is used as the default 'chunk' size for offline rendering when BounceBufSizeMsec=0 in AUD.INI. Or you can set a non-zero BounceBufSizeMsec= value (I keep mine at 20). In other cases, the synth/FX plugin may have an offline render mode that has to be set in its UI.

Another problem I've encountered in the  past involved FX plugins that don't clear their own internal buffers on stop, and 'spit' some noise when playback is restarted.  This would sometimes manifest in exports as well. I haven't run into that issue for a while, but one setting that might be relevant would be "Always Stream Audio Through FX' in audio Playback and Recording preferences. You might also look into enabling Plugin Upsampling  (or disabling it if already enabled) for any plugins that you find are consistently causing a problem. 

Bottom line: If you have a project that does this consistently, save a copy of it and start removing  things until to find the trigger - most likely a plugin.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Bottom line: If you have a project that does this consistently, save a copy of it and start removing  things until to find the trigger - most likely a plugin.

I have found every project has done it for as long as I can remember..at least to Pro Audio 9 ... have 900+ plugins

9 hours ago, David Baay said:

Sometimes it can be fixed by increasing  the real-time ASIO buffer size which is used as the default 'chunk' size for offline rendering when BounceBufSizeMsec=0 in AUD.INI.

This seems to have helped thanks, the current project isn't exhibiting the same symptoms.  I will test it going forward as I'm making new tracks every few days 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CosmicDolphin said:

have 900+ plugins

Are there any that you use in every project?  Related to this, it also occurs to me that if you're using project templates that originated in some ancient version of SONAR, you might want to build some new ones from scratch starting with the Blank or Basic project template. The same might go for old track templates that you use frequently, especially anything complex like a drum template that includes the synth, multiple outputs, aux track with routing and plugin for parallel compression, etc.

The fact that you've experienced this so consistently across many versions of Cakewalk/SONAR and (presumably) many PCs with different O/S and interfaces, while many others experience it rarely or not at all suggests you're consistently doing something procedurally or with project content that precipitates the problem.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:56 PM, David Baay said:

Are there any that you use in every project? 

Yes probably about 30 or so

On 8/17/2019 at 4:56 PM, David Baay said:

Related to this, it also occurs to me that if you're using project templates that originated in some ancient version of SONAR, you might want to build some new ones from scratch starting with the Blank or Basic project template. The same might go for old track templates that you use frequently, especially anything complex like a drum template that includes the synth, multiple outputs, aux track with routing and plugin for parallel compression, etc.

I only use the default Basic Project Template when I start a new track but I've never even tried a track template to be honest..except maybe once in Version 6 or whenever they came out.

It seems be working okay now I changed that setting though thanks ..Just did whole track where it was fine

Edited by CosmicDolphin
  • Like 1