Toontrack drum maps

Richard W

I have never created drum maps in Cakewalk, but now that I am getting into re-learning the software, your implied question ("How can I create drum maps for my gear/softsynths?") caught my interest.  I had been under the impression that those sorts of things had been contributed by users, but I am not sure where I got that impression and could be wrong. 

Anyhow, I am not sure if this is the best video for it's purpose, but I stumbled onto it and thought of sharing it here.  Of course, if someone has already done one for Toontracks, that would better meet your needs than doing one yourself.  If others know of online repositories, other recommended videos, and/or tips, I'd also be interested.

Thanks for raising the issue.

Steve

21 hours ago, MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve) said:

I have never created drum maps in Cakewalk, but now that I am getting into re-learning the software, your implied question ("How can I create drum maps for my gear/softsynths?") caught my interest.  I had been under the impression that those sorts of things had been contributed by users, but I am not sure where I got that impression and could be wrong. 

Anyhow, I am not sure if this is the best video for it's purpose, but I stumbled onto it and thought of sharing it here.  Of course, if someone has already done one for Toontracks, that would better meet your needs than doing one yourself.  If others know of online repositories, other recommended videos, and/or tips, I'd also be interested.

Thanks for raising the issue.

Steve

+1  would also love to access drum maps if available to the community.  I got EZ Drummer, AD2 and Slate. 

Creating drum maps is a typing exercise.

One thing that can speed up the process is Ins2Map a tool available at http://dis.sesseler.de/

From the old SONAR & Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) Resources and Utilities page

Ins2map.zip (Listed Nov 18 2015)
ralf (Ralf Sesseler)
This tool will convert an instrument definition (ins file) into a drum map for Cakewalk SONAR. (Essentially, any text file with a mapping from midi note number to drum instrument name can be used.) The created drum map uses default values for most parameters and is not linked to a particular virtual instrument, so it's mainly the first step and may require enhancements to be done in SONAR directly. 
Download and Further Information http://dis.sesseler.de/ In the left menu area, click on “Cakewalk SONAR”. Then select “Instrument to Drum Map” to download the file.

UPDATE: This is an old thread. Since it was created, starting with CbB 2021.06 supports persistent alternate note names in the label pane next to the note pane. In most cases, for me, this is enough to forget about drum maps. Alternate note names use instrument definitions. I have created several instrument definition files for drum synths and posted links to them in the instrument definition section of this forum.

Edited by scook
edited to add updated information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't the Superior kits all come with drum maps?     There are also some GM maps for various Superior kits in the Groove Monkee Midi packs.  However, because most of these maps contain all the i-mappings as well, they are rather large and cumbersome.  Because of this, I've had to make my own.   It's time consuming but not that difficult.  I always end up moving the kit pieces around so as too keep them together.  It's much easier to edit a midi track that way.

I'll try and dig up what I have.

HTH

Paul

• Thanks 1

With Superior Drummer I like mapping within their software.  You can really tweak the velocity layers to react how you want. (Nodes like automation for amazing customizations) Really easy to setup (click then hit a pad or drum) and save presets. 

I already had my acoustic/electronic hybrid kit’s trigger converters  (3 TMC-6’s) setup for Native Instruments (Studio drummer and Abbey road series).   To make life easy I made my Superior Drummer preset with my NI presets selected at the trigger converter  so If I can easily re-trigger using NI or Superior without changing anything except calling up my map preset inside Superior drummer 3. 

• 1 year later...

This part is always a pain... Has been since pre-digital audio. (midi sequencing)

Though Drum Maps are very powerful, I don't really need them often in my work, but the mapping of the kit pieces replacing the keyboard while editing drums in PRV is a big issue for me. Since we received AD2 from Sonar days, I already long ago added it's ins file and the note names are available in PRV (which now sticks. Thanks!), But I don't remember where I might find such a file for Superior Drummer 3?

I guess I could dig in and attempt to manually create one, but that's a task I'd rather not tackle at the moment, so I ask.... no I beg...

Has anyone found or created any ins files for Superior Drummer 3?

I know this topic has come multiple time in the past but there has never been resolution. Where are all of the other drum maps for EZX expansion packs?  We those provided by James above but I would like to collect all of them together and post for other to benefit from.

Can anyone else please drum maps that you have made or have come across?  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, lapasoa said:

I remember Cakewalk offered us an excellent drum map for XLN AD Drums.

Would be very nice if Cakewalk offer us a drum map for Superior drummer 3.

Yeah, but honestly?

It was back in the day when AD2 was bundled with a paid version of Sonar, yes?

...also, in all fairness. AD2 drum maps are far less complex than SupD3 (gotta stop me referring to it as SD3 for I've been using SD3 for Session Drummer 3 far longer).

...but from what I see of the basic map, SupD3's mapping and included derivatives (assortments of variations of strike etc.) are much more extensive and thus resulting in issues between apps  with fewer mapped sounds/instrument.

Hard to satisfy all in a single mapping. But this does raise the bar on more tedious mapping.

Edited by Keni

11 hours ago, Keni said:

Yeah, but honestly?

It was back in the day when AD2 was bundled with a paid version of Sonar, yes?

...also, in all fairness. AD2 drum maps are far less complex than SupD3 (gotta stop me referring to it as SD3 for I've been using SD3 for Session Drummer 3 far longer).

...but from what I see of the basic map, SupD3's mapping and included derivatives (assortments of variations of strike etc.) are much more extensive and thus resulting in issues between apps  with fewer mapped sounds/instrument.

Hard to satisfy all in a single mapping. But this does raise the bar on more tedious mapping.

Drumps maps for SPD3 and EZX libraries have to exist out in the studiosphere. It's a matter of getting people to share and collect them together in one place. 

1 hour ago, Josh Powell said:

Drumps maps for SPD3 and EZX libraries have to exist out in the studiosphere. It's a matter of getting people to share and collect them together in one place. 

Some, yes. And if you follow the links provided you will find some as well as a free util to create a drum map from an ins file which is a simple, text file. Easy to create if you put in the time. ...just sayin'

I followed the links and found the SupD3 ins file which was enough to satisfy my immediate need as well as the ins2map util should I wish to create the map.

It's definitely worth the exercise to learn how to create drum maps, especially with EZD2 since each EZX has different routing. AD2 is nice because no matter what the kit, they all use the same mixer routing. Once you figure it out, it's only about 10-15 minutes of work to make a new one, versus the time spent searching online for an existing map.

On 8/17/2019 at 12:01 PM, scook said:

Creating drum maps is a typing exercise.

One thing that can speed up the process is Ins2Map a tool available at http://dis.sesseler.de/

From the old SONAR & Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) Resources and Utilities page

UPDATE: This is an old thread. Since it was created, starting with CbB 2021.06 supports persistent alternate note names in the label pane next to the note pane. In most cases, for me, this is enough to forget about drum maps. Alternate note names use instrument definitions. I have created several instrument definition files for drum synths and posted links to them in the instrument definition section of this forum.

I looked at this but there don't appear to be any instrument definition files for the EZX kits.  In the meantime I created a drum map for one EZX kit. Very nice once it's in place. Time consuming though.

Edited by Josh Powell

I have never seen anyone publish an instrument definition for any Toontrack products.

I created one for Superior Drummer 3 and posted it in the instrument definition area of this forum.

I found a couple of Toontrack mappings here

You may be able to save some typing by looking for drum maps for Reaper.

Reaper drum maps are text files which can be easily edited into CbB instrument definitions.