Summer Dreaming - Song # 8

amiller

Here’s a little setup for this song.  Imagine lying in bed and you start to wake up from a very pleasant dream to the sounds of a summer storm.  You dread having to get up and go to work when the realization that it’s Saturday filters into your half asleep mind and it dawns on you that you don’t have to get up...you can sleep in.  A big smile comes across your face as you allow yourself to drift back off in to dreamland:

Edited by amiller
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Enjoyed this. Great guitar tone, the first couple notes immediately reminded me of The Shadow Of Lo by RTF. - Great job!

RTF - fantastic group.  Thanks for listening and positive comments.😊

From the standpoint of composition, I thought it was great! Interesting chord progressions that don't go to cliche places. Very tasteful and well mixed instrument choices and arrangement ideas.

From the standpoint of guitar tone, holy jeepers, very clear, wonderful harmony lines, extremely well played! A pleasure to listen to that guitar. And the supporting instruments just . . . support. The bass is perfect volume for me, the drums might come up, or closer to the listener, just a smidge. Beautiful!

My crit might be the piano, do you have another instrument or vsti? This one has a midi honky tonk detuned sound and it's not half as tonally 3D as that wonderful guitar, and it bangs away rather dry compared to the more roomy tone of the rest of the arrangements.

I listened several times. Joe Walsh would like this. I like it too!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emeraldsoul said:

From the standpoint of composition, I thought it was great! Interesting chord progressions that don't go to cliche places. Very tasteful and well mixed instrument choices and arrangement ideas.

From the standpoint of guitar tone, holy jeepers, very clear, wonderful harmony lines, extremely well played! A pleasure to listen to that guitar. And the supporting instruments just . . . support. The bass is perfect volume for me, the drums might come up, or closer to the listener, just a smidge. Beautiful!

My crit might be the piano, do you have another instrument or vsti? This one has a midi honky tonk detuned sound and it's not half as tonally 3D as that wonderful guitar, and it bangs away rather dry compared to the more roomy tone of the rest of the arrangements.

I listened several times. Joe Walsh would like this. I like it too!

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks for listening and taking the time to critique.  Also, thanks for the very kind words.

As for the piano, you’re critique is spot on.  At the time, I thought the vst was pretty good.  It wasn’t until I got Ivory that realized how inadequate the first vst was.  I attempted to eq it into something better but...  Also, not being a piano player, I neglected to use the sustain pedal where needed.  If I still have the midi I may go back and replace the piano part or re-record...maybe.

Again, thanks.😊

2 hours ago, freddy j said:

This is an extremely nice song.  It took me exactly to that place that you described in your intro above.  "Lord I hate to get up in the morning."  Very good guitar work and interplay between the guitars.  Nice one!!

Yeah man, my bane in life is getting out of bed on a work day.  Thanks for the positive feedback and taking the time to listen.😊

19 hours ago, kakku said:

Slightly Vaiesque guitar work. Great melodies and performances and nice soundscapes

If I managed even a hint of Vai I’d be playing way above my skill set.  Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to listen.😊

Your guitar work never disappoints and is always a pleasure to listen to - have to agree with Tom on the piano sound but it's a minor crit overall and easily fixed. I like how the rain comes and goes throughout the mix. Oh and +1 on early starts (and late finishes) - way too many of those lately...

Andy

4 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Your guitar work never disappoints and is always a pleasure to listen to - have to agree with Tom on the piano sound but it's a minor crit overall and easily fixed. I like how the rain comes and goes throughout the mix. Oh and +1 on early starts (and late finishes) - way too many of those lately...

Andy

Thanks for listening and the kind words.  Ok, you’re like the fourth person, including myself, who has a problem with the piano.  So, I’m gonna re-do it using Ivory and the proper use of a sustain pedal.😊  I really appreciate the critique...thanks again.😊

By the way, the thunder and rain were recorded while watching a storm at my back door.  Every time I listen to this piece of music it pulls me right back to that moment in time...way cool.😊

Edited by amiller

17 hours ago, RikF said:

Hey amiller, nice tune and playing, very legato with a bit of break up naar the end. excellent tune and (guitar)tone😉

Rik

Thanks, this is one of my favorites.  Thanks for listening and commenting. 😊

-Al