Steinberg Holiday Virtual Instrument Sale

cclarry

Save up to 50% on selected VST instruments

Whether you prefer a summer holiday filled with lazy days, healthy exercise or fun parties, you can create the perfect soundtrack from the sounds and grooves of HALion, Groove Agent and many more VST instruments at great discounts. You can pack your case with inspiration by entering the coupon code below at checkout.

But, like all holidays, it will end, and the discount is only valid from August 15 to September 5, 2019.

Your coupon code:
INSTRUMENTS19

Learn more about this offer!

Edited by cclarry

I don't know why they bother with the code and there is no place to enter it.   Groove Agent is a nice plugin.   I'm finding how annoying dongled stuff can be with you open up a DAW on another system without the dongle and it interrupts a VST scan because there is no licence for Retro or Pad Shop.

18 minutes ago, slartabartfast said:

I am not sure what the holiday is. Halion 6 is apparently available as a crossgrade from  Kontakt / Komplete, Falcon, Machfive, Omnisphere for $125. Does anyone have experience with Halion?

Cubase Pro comes with Halion SE, which is Halion but just "tied" to Cubase...
and it's a very capable VI.  I recommend a few videos to let you know if it's 
what you'd be interested in...sale is until Sept 5th.

6 hours ago, slartabartfast said:

I am not sure what the holiday is. Halion 6 is apparently available as a crossgrade from  Kontakt / Komplete, Falcon, Machfive, Omnisphere for $125. Does anyone have experience with Halion?

Halion comes with a big library.  The includes acoustic sounds (piano, strings, etc) are serviceable but nothing great.  The synths are pretty good.  It's a very capable sound-design tool and it has a very good wavetable editor and granular engine.  It's a very capable sampler as well.  The main draw for it is if you want to create your own multisampled instruments. 

For $125 it's a very good value, and I don't think you can get anything better for anywhere close to that price that does everything Halion does.   You don't need a USB eLicenser dongle for it, which is good.  You do have to have a soft though, kinda like how Cubase Elements is.  If you ever want to sell it then the only way is to transfer it to a USB eLicenser though.

I'm not a fan of the overall interface and I frankly hate the Macros.  Also, they advertise that it's super easy to create your own instrument interfaces but I would disagree with that, and I am pretty computer savvy.  Though honestly I was just trying it to see if I could. . . I had no interest in creating my own really. 

The development of it is super slow and the community on Steinberg's forums is pretty non-existent if that matters to you.

I actually posted my thoughts on it when I owned it. 

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=262&t=148241

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rlared said:

Halion comes with a big library.  The includes acoustic sounds (piano, strings, etc) are serviceable but nothing great.  The synths are pretty good.  It's a very capable sound-design tool and it has a very good wavetable editor and granular engine.  It's a very capable sampler as well.  The main draw for it is if you want to create your own multisampled instruments. 

For $125 it's a very good value, and I don't think you can get anything better for anywhere close to that price that does everything Halion does.   You don't need a USB eLicenser dongle for it, which is good.  You do have to have a soft though, kinda like how Cubase Elements is.  If you ever want to sell it then the only way is to transfer it to a USB eLicenser though.

I'm not a fan of the overall interface and I frankly hate the Macros.  Also, they advertise that it's super easy to create your own instrument interfaces but I would disagree with that, and I am pretty computer savvy.  Though honestly I was just trying it to see if I could. . . I had no interest in creating my own really. 

The development of it is super slow and the community on Steinberg's forums is pretty non-existent if that matters to you.

I actually posted my thoughts on it when I owned it. 

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=262&t=148241

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

This is a really good description of the many features of HALion. 

In terms of creating your own instrument, it has a set of pre-made knobs and sliders that can be dragged into an interface.  You can easily assign them functions.  You can use the sounds that come with HALion or drag in your own samples--and they even have a system for making this easy, with auto-naming, etc.  So if you have some simple thing that you want to make an instrument out of--HALion 6 should work fo you.  And there is a free player, so you could give it to a friend or maybe even sell it.

For me, the best part of HALion is the FlexPhrasers.  They exist to a lesser extent in SE.  Steinberg describes them as an arpeggio and phrase player, but they are much more than that. They respond in a much more interesting way than any other arpeggiator I've had.  One way to think of them is that they are like EZKeys.  You have a bunch of keyboard patterns that you can use on any keyboard sound--or anything really.  The difference is that they also have FlexPhrasers for Guitar, Bass, Keys, Drums, Synths, etc.   So you can layer up a single preset with different FlexPhrasers.  Once that's done you can play any chord, or in some cases, single notes, and it will play auto-arrangements.  The only thing about them is that the technology comes from the Motif and the Montage Keyboards--they were ported over, but not created for DAWs.  I have had some issues trying to get the FlexPhrasers to line up.  It's almost as if they are loops that come with no named BPM.   But they are very fun to play with.   You can save 8 Flexphrasers in a patch and switch between them with key switches.  Some of the FlexPhrasers come with key switches for different articulations built in. 

I totally think this is worth more than $125.  My only concern is that if they are selling it that cheap, they may be dumping it, not be working that hard on HALion 7.  For example, I doubt we will see more FlexPhrasers.   But they are trying to get other companies to make HALion instruments, and that's a good thing. 

As an instrument, it is more like Falcon than it is like Kontakt, as you can layer many different kinds of synth sounds.  Kontakt now has Wavetable, but HALion also has Granular, Virtual Analog, tone wheel organ, etc... all of which can be made into layered patches, along with the large included library of sampled sounds.