Jesse Jost

Still using SONAR?

7 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Any OS, but latency that low is dependent on the driver. I just took out some of the impediments.

Exactly. I'm also finding latency  has more to do with the drivers than almost anything else...other than a zillion plug-ins with lookahead :) !

On 11/9/2019 at 5:31 AM, InstrEd said:

@Noel Borthwick    Just asking here.  What would the RTL be with a great USB interface like the Babyface Pro?  If you guys got the Audio Engine fine tuned that would be great.  

BF Pro has "conservative" buffer settings. It will not get lower then 48 samples for 44.1/48kHz (96 samples for 96kHz and so on). But there is difference in results with the same buffer size.

Video demonstrates "consumer grade" device (and not the best from latency perspective), 16 samples / 48kHz produce 4.1ms RTL.

Babyface Pro with 96 samples/ 96kHz (if I remember correctly, 48 samples / 48 kHz is the same) produce 3.1ms RTL.

Note that PC should be "optimized" for any reliable low latency mode (under 10ms). But when computer is better (in terms of quality for audio production), it can be a bit more forgiving. F.e.  3ms RTL or even less can work without tweaking BIOS settings (so with some CPU power-saving options still active). Approaching 1ms RTL seems to be way more tricky even on top configuration (fortunately I do not have Quantum and so I do not care).

Right although from the host perspective the RTL isn't something we have control over. I'm talking about the audio buffer size here not RTL.
As long as the host and the driver itself can handle very low buffer sizes efficiently (without dropping out) it means that you will get low latency performance with drivers that support it.  SONAR had incorrect behavior with buffer sizes lower than 1 msec (< 44 samples at 44100 Khz). By fixing that we have allowed for devices with buffer sizes smaller than that to be handled properly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

Exactly. I'm also finding latency  has more to do with the drivers than almost anything else...other than a zillion plug-ins with lookahead :) !

The main factor is the driver yes but the net effect depends on both the driver and the host. The host has to efficiently (and correctly) handle very low buffer sizes such as 16 samples to facilitate that.

@Noel Borthwick As an owner of a 6i6 (v2) - that's impressive!

Couple of questions:

1. What Maximizer settings (which algorithm and what amount of transient recovery) are you running there?
2. What buffer size would you have to otherwise set in the current public build of CbB? Is it a 32 -> 16 improvement or, say, 128 -> 16?
3. Which Focusrite driver version is it on?
4. Which version of Windows 10 is this? 1803? 1809? 1903?

Edited by Jan

I used a basic Ozone preset "Clear Transients" that was light in processing. 
Windows version 1809. 
I'm running the older focusrite driver (focusrite control 2.3.4) because the new one bluescreens!

Prior to this I don't think 16 samples would work properly since there was a limitation of 1 msec minimum being enforced internally.

Just installed it for the first time in order to accommodate a plugin. Love it! The install was the easiest thing ever. Never had an install go that smooth. The BandLab assistant software did exactly what they said it would. And, when I looked in my wallet afterwards? Holy smokes. Soundtoys is running a major sale right now, so I think you guess where some of that money disappeared to. Didn't think it could get better than Sonar, but CbB really ups the anti. Love the new look in the Piano Roll ... that area is known as Drum Programming Hell in my household and it finally got a spruce up. Now I don't wanna lay down in my garage with the car running after a few hours of editing cymbals. To think a few years ago we were smack dab in the middle of an existential crisis.

Great comeback guys!

Edited by scottcmusic
  • Like 2

So @Noel Borthwick, I'd like to uninstall Legacy finally; someone pointed out my Addictive Drums 2 license is independent of that, and I don't really need anything else from Sonar instrument/plugin wise.  Can I just straight up uninstall Sonar Platinum altogether (meaning, I don't need to worry about stuff getting deleted or messed up that shouldn't)?  Anything I need to watch out for or be careful of?  To my knowledge, CbB was 100% side by side, right?

Edited by AxlBrutality

There are several "Shared" folders used by all Cakewalk DAWs and CbB.

Uninstalling any of these DAWs may remove the Shared folders. If that happens, uninstall CbB using the option on CbB menu in BandLab Assistant

242xmEe.png

and re-install CbB.

• Thanks 1

I am glad that I still have SonPlt installed! After Cakewalk november 2019 update my BL Cakewalk DAW sound became completely noisy and I had to move back my work to old Sonar Plat. Cakewalk by BL now is buggy with a dirt sound. Hope they fix it with a hotfix or a new update.

9 hours ago, carlo said:

I am glad that I still have SonPlt installed! After Cakewalk november 2019 update my BL Cakewalk DAW sound became completely noisy and I had to move back my work to old Sonar Plat. Cakewalk by BL now is buggy with a dirt sound. Hope they fix it with a hotfix or a new update.

There is a hot fix for the 2019/11 update. 
But why go back to Donar when you could just as easily go back to a previous version of CbB. 

I didn't know that there is a hotfix and also I have more vsti plugins installed in Sonar. Thx

5 hours ago, carlo said:

I have more vsti plugins installed in Sonar.

If CbB and 64bit SONAR are installed on the same machine and the VST scan path settings are the same, they should have the same number of plug-ins listed.

I think I had to add some new vst folders to my old Sonar path because I had installed some Vsti in a different HD because of the folders bank size. I have to recheck it. Thx

Not that anyone at all should give a hoot but I finally had to switch to the Band Lab version in the voiceover studio.  My SPLAT was getting way too buggy and my audio interface kept dropping out (on two different units no less).  Anywhoo...just got everything installed and configured and am hoping for smooth sailing going forward.  I'll keep ya posted.  And a special shout out to any and all who probably thought I'd croaked or somethin.  It's me, Doghouse...only apparently I can't use that name no more.  Sigh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Patrick said:

Not that anyone at all should give a hoot but I finally had to switch to the Band Lab version in the voiceover studio.  My SPLAT was getting way too buggy and my audio interface kept dropping out (on two different units no less).  Anywhoo...just got everything installed and configured and am hoping for smooth sailing going forward.  I'll keep ya posted.  And a special shout out to any and all who probably thought I'd croaked or somethin.  It's me, Doghouse...only apparently I can't use that name no more.  Sigh.

You have some catching up to do in post count 😃