Jesse Jost

Still using SONAR?

Hey SomeGuy,

If you want to be "anonymous", then don't use software offered for "free".  It's pretty simple.  Free is not free.  If you don't want to give up your contact info (or whatever is being asked for in any particular case), then don't, and use software that doesn't require it to use it.  Simple.  There are non-free options out there that you can use instead and then you don't have to worry about it.   You have it right, "data is currency".  There is no free ride.

You don't have to use Cakewalk by Bandlab.

We shouldn't have to wonder whether or not BandLab should give end users more control.

True.  And if you don't use their FREE DAW, you don't have to wonder.  It is your computer, not theirs.  If their FREE software is not on your computer, there is nothing to wonder about.

Not everything is a conspiracy.

• Like 1

It's interesting that some peoples' default is to assume the worst. For all we know, Cakewalk is keeping track of all the emails so that if/when the old Sonar servers shut down and we no longer have access to plug-ins from a decade ago, the company can send out a mass email saying "hey everyone, grab your stuff now before it's gone."

What I find it interesting is that BandLab has put out a line of audio interfaces. Yet I have not received ONE spam email or promotional piece, and believe me, they have my email in their database.

FWIW, when companies ask me to check a box to receive their newsletter, I always check it.

• I find out about updates and deals I wouldn't find out about otherwise.
  • If it's entirely promotional in nature, I can always unsubscribe.

Maybe everyone isn't evil, or has a hidden agenda. Or maybe they are, and I'm just stupid. But I wouldn't put BandLab in even remotely the same category as Google.

• Like 2

It's not an assumption, it's a preference.  I'd just rather not.  They can always integrate the login directly into the DAW (like Studio One) and make it optional for those who owned prior Cakewalk products.

But I guess that's the benefit of actually paying for a product.  You don't become one.

And like I stated, I just used dummy info, anyways.

AFAIK, BandLab is a social network.  It's not like VST Transit or something, so I "prefer" to not partake 😛

I don't need to be told that I don't have to use a free product.  I own enough that I can easily just not do that.  Keep telling people that, Blades... 

Edited by Some Guy

So here we go... I was one of the people who purchased Platinum a few months before Gibson mothballed Sonar. I had used it since version 2, and before that Samplitude linked via midi to Cakewalk, so I have been doing this for a while. I finally got back to this forum to see whats up, and to my surprise, Bandlab actually didnt just acquire Sonar, but are actually upgrading/bugfixing the the thing!! Lord Have Mercy!!! Debating on remaining on my exisitng Win7 / last release Sonar or maybe... taking the plunge here. I scroll up and see Some Guy's concern about being a product... and the a little farther up and see Craig Anderton

then I passed out

manfromplanetX

Take the plunge. CbB is to Platinum as Platinum was to X1. Just leave Platinum installed so you can take advantage of the instruments and plug-ins that come with it - CbB has a bare minimum of extras, and there's no news of when there will be an online shop so new users can catch up.

thanks Craig I will probably do so... just to give you an idea of how long I have been messing with this stuff, one of my first guitar related books I ever bought was Electronic Projects Musicians way back in the late 70s as a teenager!!

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 7:04 PM, Craig Anderton said:

It's interesting that some peoples' default is to assume the worst. For all we know, Cakewalk is keeping track of all the emails so that if/when the old Sonar servers shut down and we no longer have access to plug-ins from a decade ago, the company can send out a mass email saying "hey everyone, grab your stuff now before it's gone."

It's been almost 2 years now that BandLab have been providing the Cakewalk DAW for free and doing users of the old Cakewalk company's software the courtesy of keeping the servers active.

The DAW in that time has gone through astonishing improvement and if there has been a single reported instance of the company acting in an "evil" way, I have not heard of it, and I've been on the forums almost every day since.

Yet there are some who are still waiting for the big "catch" in all of this. There must be some secret nefarious plot afoot.

Horror of horrors, BandLab require the user to supply them with an email address in order to download Cakewalk! Not their personal one, mind you, or their work one, you can go to any of the free email sites and create a "burner" email address for the purpose of obtaining BandLab Assistant and never use it for anything other than that, but just one working email address.

And that somehow serves as proof that "they're up to no good" and "free ain't free." Well, can you get anything online without giving them a working email address? Amazon? Netflix? PayPal? Google? Apple? Your bank? Your insurance company?

The whinging about how it requires a download manager (as did SONAR and the products of Cakewalk Inc.) is also "interesting," given that Native Instruments, Waves, Spitfire, ImageLine, Meldaproduction and UVI all have free products and all have download managers.

Here's a hint from someone who used to work in computer security (me): don't use the same email address for your financial accounts that you use to sign up for free plug-ins and things like that. It's not that the plug-in companies are going to try to rip you off, it's just that they can't afford the same level of security protection that your bank can. Email addresses are free! Get one, or even a few, to use for commercial offers.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Here's a hint from someone who used to work in computer security (me): don't use the same email address for your financial accounts that you use to sign up for free plug-ins and things like that. It's not that the plug-in companies are going to try to rip you off, it's just that they can't afford the same level of security protection that your bank can. Email addresses are free! Get one, or even a few, to use for commercial offers.

better still, get a domain and issue new email addresses for everything -then they can't connect them, and you'll know where everything you receive has originated from ;)

• Like 1

Yes, I'm still using  Platinum for the additional vst(i)'s combined with CbB.

Edited by user4325874

If the incredible low latency performance of CbB compared to SONAR Platinum isn't enough to make you switch...

Here is a video of an upcoming build of CbB playing a project that includes Ozone, at 16 samples with a Focusrite 6i6. Completely glitch free. On my un-optimized development machine with no tweaks. CbB now has support for up to 8 sample audio buffers. I've yet to see a driver that support a latency that low but CbB can handle it.

As a comparison attempting to set the latency to 16 samples hangs SONAR on the same machine and won't even let it start :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Great Idea 1

16 samples = very impressive!

The video is a little confusing in that the 16-sample setting appears in the buffer size slider and in the little ASIO Control Panel, but in the ASIO reported latencies section, it says 90 samples.

16 samples is the audio buffer size. The other values are the internal hardware input and output latencies as reported by the audio interface. The sum of those values is the round trip latency.

@Noel Borthwick    Just asking here.  What would the RTL be with a great USB interface like the Babyface Pro?  If you guys got the Audio Engine fine tuned that would be great.  

15 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

If the incredible low latency performance of CbB compared to SONAR Platinum isn't enough to make you switch...

Here is a video of an upcoming build of CbB playing a project that includes Ozone, at 16 samples with a Focusrite 6i6. Completely glitch free. On my un-optimized development machine with no tweaks. CbB now has support for up to 8 sample audio buffers. I've yet to see a driver that support a latency that low but CbB can handle it.

As a comparison attempting to set the latency to 16 samples hangs SONAR on the same machine and won't even let it start :)

what spec is this un-optimized development machine with no tweaks? CPU? RAM? ozone version? tia

3 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Its a Haswell 8 core 16 thread desktop from over 5 years ago with 16 GB memory. Running Ozone 9.

so quite some "oompf" despite its age, optimisation unnecessary!

Pretty much any decent modern PC should be able to equal or exceed the performance of this machine. I had a ton of background processes running including chrome, visual studio, slack etc which is why I say its not optimized. That machine also has low disk space and a many apps installed - not an ideal DAW environment. My actual DAW uses the same processor but has better specs overall.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

not an ideal DAW environment

good for new users, who typically haven't reached the "must optimise" stage

That's impressive Noel. I use an older -ish Apollo Firewire Silver face - on Win 7.  Do these optimizations cover any win OS ? - or are they Win 10 specific ?

Edited by RBH