Jesse Jost

Still using SONAR?

1 hour ago, pwalpwal said:

the name change really is more confusing than it should be!

Come on¬† "Its a piece of CAKE" ūüėĀ

On 9/6/2019 at 12:33 PM, pwalpwal said:

the name change really is more confusing than it should be! :D

The name change was completely unnecessary, IMO.  I personally liked SONAR [a lot] better, but have to just deal with it now.

There seem to be only two reasons people stick with older versions of software:

• Technical issue, like not having a compatible OS, not enough RAM, etc.
  • The "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" maxim, and concerns that updating will reveal that there is a technical issue.

BUT that problem isn't relevant here, because you can use the two side-by-side. If CbB doesn't work, uninstall it and carry on with Sonar. 

I kept Sonar on my system after updating to CbB. There was one time I had to use it, to deal with a plug-in issue that was resolved in a CbB fix. Since then, I haven't opened Sonar...kept it on my system only to take advantage of the bundled goodies.

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2019 at 9:33 AM, pwalpwal said:

the name change really is more confusing than it should be!

The whole deal seems more confusing than it should be.

Company A goes out of business, company B buys the main product and reissues it as freeware, named after company A. The name also includes the fact that it's "by company B."

How do we end up with these people who are convinced that in order to use the upgraded program they'll be obligated to use company B's other services and whatnot?

On 9/19/2019 at 10:40 PM, Starship Krupa said:

The whole deal seems more confusing than it should be.

Company A goes out of business, company B buys the main product and reissues it as freeware, named after company A. The name also includes the fact that it's "by company B."

How do we end up with these people who are convinced that in order to use the upgraded program they'll be obligated to use company B's other services and whatnot?

By forcing them to use Company B's other services.  That's what "Creating a BandLab" account and being forced to use bloatware to sign in and authenticate Freeware is.

3 hours ago, Some Guy said:

By forcing them to use Company B's other services.  That's what "Creating a BandLab" account and being forced to use bloatware to sign in and authenticate Freeware is.

unfortunately that's not enough to dissuade trolls from using it

You know, it used to be that you had to create a cakewalk sonar account to use the PAID subscription and had a different price of software with a different logo on it to get your updates.  Now it's free and still in business, those are the two primary differences.  

I don't use cakewalk like I once did (now more in the paid studio one group) but I fail to see it understand why people have a problem with this model.  You know there are other programs out there both free and paid.  If you hate the idea of having to create an account THAT bad, why are you still here?

10 hours ago, Blades said:

You know, it used to be that you had to create a cakewalk sonar account to use the PAID subscription and had a different price of software with a different logo on it to get your updates.  Now it's free and still in business, those are the two primary differences.  

I don't use cakewalk like I once did (now more in the paid studio one group) but I fail to see it understand why people have a problem with this model.  You know there are other programs out there both free and paid.  If you hate the idea of having to create an account THAT bad, why are you still here?

The problem seems to be mostly with how the BandLab Assistant functions.  The way it automatically installs without asking you where to install it.  The way it downloads to a private user directory, which is non-configurable.  The way it sets its content download directory, non-configurably.

For some of this stuff, junctions can be created - if you're into that. The registry entries for this don't seem to work at all (vestigial).  The locations seem hard coded into the application code.

Additionally, creating an additional user account with "potentially" (unless you use dummy data - fake name and disposable email addresses) personal data tied to it for a paid service or commercial piece of software is viewed differently than doing this for a freebie - especially when the service in question is basically another Social Network.  If it's "free," then users often don't feel like they should have to bear this cost at  all.

Cakewalk Command Center is similar to, say, iLok eLicenser Control.  BandLab Assistant is like a Facebook Widget, as far as I'm concerned.

16 hours ago, backwoods said:

unfortunately that's not enough to dissuade trolls from using it

Being critical and unafraid to voice them is not trolling.  Calling people a troll because you don't like it, while contributing absolutely nothing to the discussion, however... 

Well, you can figure that out for yourself.

Edited by Some Guy

I think its fair for Bandlab to know who is using their software.  As to it being a problem for Bandlab to have a setup and download app, I don't see it as a problem. I certainly don't look at it as if it were iLok or eLicenser. I have both of those and they both cost me money plus the hassle of registering with two third party companies simply to prove I have bought the product. 

Anyone use Plugin Alliance or Plugin Boutique? They do much the same thing. With them it doesn't cost extra money to register. 

Could Bandlab give the end user more control? I think it would be nice. On the other hand I would most likely use their defaults for installing.

I think we are losing the perspective of the company. I think most businesses keep data on their customers. The data can be very useful to them. 

How many here use Google?  

It's an incredible offer from Bandlab and all  you have to do is give your email and  and you have  a great DAW for free. Just look at the updates alone since they took over. Incredible, and you get the man who designs and writes this software  Noel answering  the forum questions. It don't get any better than that. Thank Bandlab for a job well done.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just loading up a new desktop. I have both Sonar Plat and Cakewalk with loads of plugins on my old laptop.

Is it recommended to install Sonar plat first from command centre or should I just jump straight to Cakewalk then install everything else.

Would Cakewalk alone pick up all my plugins if I miss out installing Sonar first?

I have a ssd C drive and 2tb hdd D drive . Will I be OK to change content and download paths to the D drive?

thanks.

Edited by jadonx

On 9/27/2019 at 6:00 AM, jadonx said:

Just loading up a new desktop. I have both Sonar Plat and Cakewalk with loads of plugins on my old laptop.

Is it recommended to install Sonar plat first from command centre or should I just jump straight to Cakewalk then install everything else.

Would Cakewalk alone pick up all my plugins if I miss out installing Sonar first?

I have a ssd C drive and 2tb hdd D drive . Will I be OK to change content and download paths to the D drive?

thanks.

It will work either way. Though, it seems to me to follow a logical order of Sonar then Cakewalk makes a lot of sense.

My only use for SPLAT is all the extra third party stuff it installs that doesn't come with Cakewalk now. And I don't want to give that stuff up, so SPLAT stays installed, but never run. 

2 hours ago, garry said:

My only use for SPLAT is all the extra third party stuff it installs that doesn't come with Cakewalk now. And I don't want to give that stuff up, so SPLAT stays installed, but never run. 

Ditto.   I personally can't think of any reason to use SPLAT given the advances in CbB.

Someday, if I ever get a mobile hotspot, I'll try CbB. Until then, I have to use Splat because CbB doesn't offer offline installation, and I don't have internet at my house.

• Like 1

I've changed over to CbB and that's fine, but I want to use the synths that came with Platinum. Something happened during the changeover, and now Dimension and Rapture don't work, and while I have the software packages all downloaded from my old account, I can't find my list of registration codes to make them all work again. Customer service doesn't respond when I ask about this, so does anyone else know of a way I can get my list of registration numbers back?

The registration codes for DimPro and Rapture should be listed in the account. That said, all of Platinum including bundled content like DimPro and Rapture are best installed using Cakewalk Command Center as it will automatically activate products during installation. Serial numbers and registration codes (for products that use registration codes) are displayed in the Command Center too.

6 hours ago, Moving Air Productions said:

while I have the software packages all downloaded from my old account, I can't find my list of registration codes to make them all work again.

I can confirm that every single serial number for all Sonar related products are all present on my product page.  This includes Dimension Pro 1.5 and Rapture 1.22