Jesse Jost

Still using SONAR?

11 hours ago, Tenfoot said:

I believe, though I hope I am wrong, that even if you do that Cakewalk will occasionally revert to demo mode and need to be re authorised Chuck. Not really someting I would like to have happen with a client in the studio, but even more inconvenient at a gig. Don't get me wrong. I see why they do it. It's free! Just doesn't scream professional should it happen in either scenario.

@Tenfoot - from what I remember, Cakewalk needs to re-authorise every 6 months. As long as you run BandLab Assistant (with an internet connection) once every 6 months, you'll be fine.

Given that updates are far more frequent than 6 months (normally every 2-3 months), you shouldn't run into any issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you keep CbB offline, I mean permanently, it WILL revert to demo mode. I believe it is around 6 months and it will require you to be connected to the net, which under normal use getsd taken care of by the fact that you are updating online, but permanently offline, never going online, you WILL eventually  drop into demo mode.

• Like 1

I installed bandlab several months ago but still find sonar to be more solid and optimised so i don t know about the first post    Statement , this is what i experienced here  .... that said i don t have the very lastvplatnum ... just the one i labeled rock solid in my book ...

3 hours ago, Zo said:

I installed bandlab several months ago but still find sonar to be more solid and optimised so i don t know about the first post    Statement , this is what i experienced here  .... that said i don t have the very lastvplatnum ... just the one i labeled rock solid in my book ...

I guess I would say this, but knowing what I know about SONAR and CbB development, I can assure you that CbB is significantly more stable and optimized than SONAR. IMHO, 2019.07 is the best version of CbB/SONAR ever, and it's only going to get better going forward.

That said, I realize there's still work to do. If your experience with CbB is different, we'd love to hear from you so we can work out what's going wrong, and fix it if possible.

But I urge you to try CbB 2019.07 before doing so - you might just be surprised :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's great that I can reference specific functions Cakewalk can do at workshops (like create acidized files), and people can then get the program for free and do those things - even if they use other programs. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Ben Staton said:

I guess I would say this, but knowing what I know about SONAR and CbB development, I can assure you that CbB is significantly more stable and optimized than SONAR. IMHO, 2019.07 is the best version of CbB/SONAR ever, and it's only going to get better going forward.

That said, I realize there's still work to do. If your experience with CbB is different, we'd love to hear from you so we can work out what's going wrong, and fix it if possible.

But I urge you to try CbB 2019.07 before doing so - you might just be surprised :)

Thks Ben , will definitly give it a try ... one thing i would love to see is workflow enhacement , in he browser ( thumbtails , ect ) progessive sizing of console channels ( not big or small channels )  , waveform displayb(like in the track view but in the console view like on the avid s6)  .... youncan t think how much it helps until you get used to specially for automation , punch in s ect ...would also love a central channel inspector like in cubase when you tweak one channel and all needed and go to next one ...priceless ... and an arrgement option ...

Monitoring section as well giving that a lot of us use room and hp correction , it really helps making the session  clear ...( i ll put analysis tools there also , actually using buses )

when you look at it it s huge in impact but not crazy to do in fact ...more than several features here and there ...

ok maybe the resizing is a tuff one since you will have maybe to go vectoriel ...under than that ...stuff "easy "( for you guyz) to do and impacting /attractiv on the perception people will have coming from another daw ... (us users already know that cakewalk rocks ) 

Edited by Zo
  • Thanks 1

I've been stuck in VR for some time. I recently built a new Ryzen 2700x win 10 machine and interface to a UAD Apollo twin.  I started using X3 producer and SPLAT again and just downloading Cakewalk by BL. I'm excited to see what has been done with the old software and thankful to those who keep it alive and well.   

• Like 2

On 8/16/2019 at 6:22 PM, Tenfoot said:

I believe, though I hope I am wrong, that even if you do that Cakewalk will occasionally revert to demo mode and need to be re authorised Chuck. Not really someting I would like to have happen with a client in the studio, but even more inconvenient at a gig. Don't get me wrong. I see why they do it. It's free! Just doesn't scream professional should it happen in either scenario.

The program authorization is good for six months so you should only have to connect you DAW computer to the internet and run Bandlab Assistant about twice a year.  Click on Help and then about to open the CbB splash screen.  The version number is year and month of release.  For example the current CbB version is 2019.07 for July, 2019.  This should be legal and not go into demo mode until January, 2020.

Clipboard06

• Thanks 1

If you're still using Sonar and want to see how much has changed from the last Sonar and current (2019.07) Cakewalk by Bandlab, click on the link below and scroll down the webpage.  There is a chart listing more than 600 fixes and enhancements made to date.

I should note the link is available from every webpage.  Click on the "Cakewalk by BandLab" tab at the top of each webpage then select the "Still Using Sonar" link.

https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/FAQ/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cakewalk by Bandlab is delightful.  Last I looked, Sonar was dead with no hope for the future. Thanks for breathing new life in my favorite DAW Bandlab. 

6 hours ago, siordanescu said:

No!...What for?

You tell me 😂 Some people think software is like vintage guitars maybe? There are some still using SONAR 8 dreaming that its better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

When Sonar , was off , like many people I tried some otherDAWS, and my choice stoped on Mixbus and Ardour, Reaper was too "clustered" while being super efficient with my old CPU , what I like with Ardour is the ease of routing ... I am not sure any DAW offers such an ease on this point .... But Bandlab is operational on my computer and I open it from time to time,

I have no mean to go back to Platinium ... I must admit that thoose two past years I did not have much time to give to music production , with counted time, Ardour is really efficient , but if it comes that I pretend to produce music , I would go back to Bandlab  because of all the midi functionalities  and the way you can manage loops with Cakewalk , which is really efficient ...

Though I think , I would switch between Bandlab on some points but surely go back to Ardour for the routing ease!!!!

Just my point of view...

Olivier

• Thanks 1

I'm trying not to use Platinum, but my win 7 experience of the bandlab version (2019.05) is that it takes longer to open (the program itself) hangs a little when switching from one project to another ( as if it hasn't quite finished closing the last project even though it's closed and I'm back at the start screen) it's more glitchy generally speaking (smart tool selection seems more fiddly somehow and generally seems less tolerant of in playback tweaking) and more prone to crash/hang than Platinum ever was on the same set up, so I keep trying to tell myself that it's better, but on my pc the unfortunate truth is that it isn't.  Not trying to bash CW or anything, I'm glad that the program is alive and well and being developed, long may that continue, and it probably flies on a modern high spec win 10 pc, but on my old win 7 some days I'm tempted to forgo the bug fixes and go back to the version that just seemed to work better overall, so for those who question why anyone would still use Sonar, this is a reason why.

@paulo full disclosure is that we do not test on Win7 other than doing the most basic smoke tests. CbB is optimized and tested for Windows 10.
Its likely that in the near term that we may need to discontinue active support for Win7, because not only is it an obsolete unsupported OS, we're blocked because there are newer Windows features that we want to take advantage of that are not supported by Win 7.

That said some of your issues have already been fixed in the 07 release. I also saw the sluggishness when switching documents previously and it was partially due to the browser trying to refresh its directory list too many times. This issue (not new to CbB) was addressed and should be significantly better in 07.  As far as crashes go we are happy to look at any reports you may have even if its specific to Win 7. Any crashes or hangs should be reported to us by sending a minidump. More info here
The smart tool and editing in general has had a huge improvement in the 07 release so if you are not running that you should definitely get it.
If you are still seeing issues with the smart tool please let us know.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 4:33 PM, John said:

I think Samplitude is on a lot of desktops without being used. Its on mine too. 

It was on mine until my System drive died and I had to do a full reinstall. Now the Samplitude install set for X3 is on my NAS backup. Never upgraded to X4. Never saw the need. 

• Like 1

I know what you mean Bapu. Its a great DAW that somehow is unpleasant to work with. 

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@paulo full disclosure is that we do not test on Win7 other than doing the most basic smoke tests. CbB is optimized and tested for Windows 10.
Its likely that in the near term that we may need to discontinue active support for Win7, because not only is it an obsolete unsupported OS, we're blocked because there are newer Windows features that we want to take advantage of that are not supported by Win 7.

That said some of your issues have already been fixed in the 07 release. I also saw the sluggishness when switching documents previously and it was partially due to the browser trying to refresh its directory list too many times. This issue (not new to CbB) was addressed and should be significantly better in 07.  As far as crashes go we are happy to look at any reports you may have even if its specific to Win 7. Any crashes or hangs should be reported to us by sending a minidump. More info here
The smart tool and editing in general has had a huge improvement in the 07 release so if you are not running that you should definitely get it.
If you are still seeing issues with the smart tool please let us know.

Thanks for replying Noel. Pretty much as I thought re win 7 tbh - I had written as much when I was posting, but deleted that part as reading it back I saw that it could be read as being accusatory/bashing when that wasn't my intention, just a guess/statement of how it probably is these days. I will try 2019.07 - I was holding back on installing it so far because it seemed problematic when first released. The inevitable dropping of win7 compatability does raise another question for me...seeing as the program now insists on being updated every 6 months or will revert to demo mode, what will happen to win7 users when the day comes that the update does not support win 7? Is it back to Platinum or will there be provision to leave the current installation be and just re-activate it? 

Re crashes, it seems they are usually caused by my  tweaking of something or other during playback, but I also suspect that Melodyne could often be the culprit. It's not constantly happening, just seems to be more often than last version of Platinum ever did, hence why I posted here. Sometimes reporting is not an option because mid playback the whole thing just closes and I'm looking at the desktop again with no messages or anything at all to say what happened. I re-open it again and all is fine. If I do get something that I figure is not Melodyne related or due to me being over ambitous within the confines of what I'm asking my old pc to do all at once I'll send it in. 

To those that haven't tried Cakewalk. It really is a better Sonar.  You have nothing to loose by trying it. It will cost you nothing except a small amount of time for DLing.  Plus you have this forum. It is every bit as good as the old one and I believe its better.  The membership is the best on the net. 

• Like 1