Jesse Jost

Still using SONAR?

3 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

That said, I do agree it would be nice to have a "you have 5 days remaining to reactivate Cakewalk" toast or something like that, which will also encourage you to get a new version. It's the best of both worlds in that case.

A toast message appears when there 14 days left in the current activation period.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

As far as the "only if online" stuff goes, you can do an offline activation from the Help menu at any time, just like you could do with SONAR. If you're on the forum now, you have a way of getting onto the net to get the activation key to take to your offline DAW, right? And, as I said, sometime over the course of 6 months, it's probably a good idea to do a program update anyway which will automatically refresh your activation anyway.

Yes, you can do offline activation and I am thankful for that! 👍 But you have to use Bandlab Assistent on another PC to get the offline response!

If you update CbB on an offline computer, then the activation is NOT reset, please believe me! You still have to do a offline activation every 6 months (I don't complain about this, but I just want to clarify the facts for others)! Else I did something wrong all the time! 😊

59 minutes ago, scook said:

A toast message appears when there 14 days left in the current activation period.

There you go, schooled by @scook again! HAHA! I didn't know that. :)

And yes - of course, you do need to use some method of getting online to get the Activation Response using Bandlab Assistant, and then it exports the Activation Response which you can take back to your DAW. Obviously if you update CbB on an offline computer, it can't connect to the net to validate the activation, right? But if you've downloaded the update for it on some other internet connected machine, it also means that you're in the position to do the Offline Activation at the same time. It's another step, sure, but for the vast majority of people who are either online, or connect only when they need to update, it's entirely seamless and just happens automatically with no messing about.

I program with Delphi and it just puts a reminder nag in the title bar.

It does NOT block you like Cakewalk does.

Please, Bakers - I appeal to you: Consider this gentler, less drastic alternative.

Edited by twelvetone
  • Great Idea 1

On 10/15/2021 at 11:05 PM, Lord Tim said:

One thing Noel mentioned years back (around the time we switched over to Bandlab) was that if nothing could be sorted out for SONAR going forward, they would likely release a perpetual activation patch. As we all know now, that wasn't necessary and we've had years of excellent updates and fixes since, but I'd feel pretty confident that if Bandlab ever dropped Cakewalk for whatever reason, the Bakers would be going out of their way to make sure we're all covered.

Cakewalk by bandlab is owned by people who are not the "bakers". If they were to release a version that lessened the intellectual property of the company that owns the code, they would probably be breaking the law and up for the legal ramifications of doing such. I have worked for companies that abruptly go into liquidation, there is no time to release some cracked version, even if they wanted to. Once a firm goes into the hands of the liquidators, they will try and sell off remaining pieces of the company to repay the outstanding debtors. So the code of cakewalk is an item that may be of value for sale after the company is dissolved to pay off debtors. Just think, SONAR didnt go open source or free once Cakewalk dissolved.

• Like 2
  • Meh 1

On 10/13/2021 at 6:13 PM, SteveAmbient said:

I'm a cakewalk user since 1999 Sonar6 has everything i need and is still my favorite but sadly, now since cakewalk sabotaged their product starting at Sonar8, i have to  "upgrade" .  I'm giving this free cakewalk a try for the third time and this time i promise to be a little patient but to tell you the truth my expectations are not very high. If i have questions of course i will ask.

You are living in the past.  My first version of Cakewalk was 2.  I can't even imagine going back to the pre X series no skylight interface.   

Spend some time learning the layout and perhaps try some user created  themes.  The current product is world's better.

"You are living in the past."

nothing wrong with that - -if it ain't broke don't fix it... but of course software companies these days have to keep updating/changing as some sort of justification for there dev team's existence because capitalism 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

"You are living in the past."

nothing wrong with that - -if it ain't broke don't fix it... but of course software companies these days have to keep updating/changing as some sort of justification for there dev team's existence because capitalism 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, because it couldn't possibly be to fix bugs, add features and otherwise just generally improve the product could it?

1 minute ago, bdickens said:

Yeah, because it couldn't possibly be to fix bugs, add features and otherwise just generally improve the product could it?

why would you introduce new features when you're fixing bugs?

modern software dev has shifted from traditional waterfall (specs up front) to weekly "agile" methodology (for the benefit of the business people who can't understand the complexity of software), where the business reqs can change drastically, and hence the monthly updates rather than a point version every year or so

trad system of a yearly or so beta/beta2 (early access) before public release has been overtaken by the need to keep idiot/bean-counter managers happy 🤷‍♂️

/fwiw 😘

On 10/20/2021 at 10:52 AM, pwalpwal said:

why would you introduce new features when you're fixing bugs?

modern software dev has shifted from traditional waterfall (specs up front) to weekly "agile" methodology (for the benefit of the business people who can't understand the complexity of software), where the business reqs can change drastically, and hence the monthly updates rather than a point version every year or so

trad system of a yearly or so beta/beta2 (early access) before public release has been overtaken by the need to keep idiot/bean-counter managers happy 🤷‍♂️

/fwiw 😘

As someone who works in the software industry, that first question seems odd...  why would you not want to do both?   If software never changed until every single existing bug was gone, that software would likely never change.   So unless it's near perfect to begin with...

The company I work for has gone from annual releases (give or take) to quarterly and now to semi-annual.   All of them have pros and cons, no exceptions.   It's just a matter of your perspective at any given moment.

As for the last line, Bandlab doesn't charge for Cakewalk so I don't think there's actually a bean counter connection?   Although for most applications there certainly is some truth to that statement.   That's the world we live in. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SteveC said:

As someone who works in the software industry, that first question seems odd...  why would you not want to do both?   If software never changed until every single existing bug was gone, that software would likely never change.   So unless it's near perfect to begin with...

me too, and it is always more manageable if you do these in separate streams - -fix the reported/known bugs first before adding new features (which usually bring more/new bugs) - but you're right, it depends on the software itself, current perspective, etc... and i did sign off with a /fwiw :)

• Like 1

I currently have both Sonar Artist and Cakewalk by BandLab. I realize that the old Cakewalk will not be maintaining its servers indefinitely, and I will not be able to reinstall Sonar Artist to upgrade to Cakewalk eventually. The main reason this concerns me is that I like using some of the instruments included in Sonar, like the Roland GM2 module as well as Cakewalk's Session Instruments, not to mention Cakewalk's own Rapture instrument. If I were to just install Cakewalk by BandLab by itself without first installing Sonar Artist, would I lose those instruments, or did BandLab also get the right to include those when it bought Cakewalk?

Edited by cubdukat

1 hour ago, cubdukat said:

I realize that the old Cakewalk will not be maintaining its servers indefinitely

Those servers were part of the purchase from Gibson.

BandLab is keeping the old Cakewalk site running.

BandLab did not buy the Cakewalk company so they cannot distribute their products.

They can and do make Cakewalk products available to customers who created a single sign-on account during 2014-2017.

BandLab purchased the Cakewalk code library and may make BandLab badged products using the code.

The part of BandLab who develop/maintain and support Cakewalk by BandLab is not very large.

There have been a couple of releases of addition plug-ins but the main emphasis has been on developing the DAW.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have been using SONAR X1 Studio since 2010, and was unaware of everything going on in the background……until my 12 year old computer started crashing. Then I began looking into reinstalling SONAR when I get my new computer and I see that BandLab has Cakewalk, and SONAR is no longer supported – yikes! (Not to mention that I also find out the Firewire flame went out, and I will need to change my audio interface, which is also no longer supported. Yes, I have been under a rock for 12 years!)

So, is the logical next step to download the free BandLab Cakewalk?

Will this be similar to my SONAR?

Will I be able to run my SONAR song projects on the new Cakewalk software, or do I have to have both sets of software installed?

If I was working on a SONAR project, can I “convert” it to the new Cakewalk to continue working on it?

I’m reading a lot about the periodic “activation” required. Are we somehow notified when this is required? What happens if we miss the date activation was required?

Any advice is appreciated! I was not expecting to make so many changes all at once.

Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB) is SONAR Platinum updated and supported. Your projects should load and play just fine. Many of us have decades-old songs that worked in CbB. You may get a warning or 2 about missing plug-ins, silent outputs, etc. since those things have changed. Just reset them and continue.
Install the old programs first along with your preferred plug-ins and synths, then Cakewalk. Just opening your old project in CbB will "convert it to the new Cakewalk". Probably they are already in .cwp format. Older projects might be in the .wrk format, which will be changed to .cwp.
Reactivation has always been painless for me. It notifies me, I click a few buttons. Done.
If your music computer (DAW) is not on the internet all the time, the process is different.
Lots of threads here about the best way to go about switching computers; take a few minutes to check them out. Good luck!

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

Support for X1 was discontinued well before Cakewalk (the company) went out of business.

1 hour ago, Muzeek said:

Will this be similar to my SONAR?

Yes, Cakewalk by BandLab uses the same Skylight Interface introduced with X1 with 10 years of enhancements and fixes.

1 hour ago, Muzeek said:

Will I be able to run my SONAR song projects on the new Cakewalk software, or do I have to have both sets of software installed?

Yes, however; Cakewalk does not include many of the third-party plug-ins bundled with SONAR so leaving 64bit X1 fully installed may be a good idea. The X1 DAW software itself is < 200MB. All of the plug-ins and other content bundled with SONAR can be used by CbB.

1 hour ago, Muzeek said:

If I was working on a SONAR project, can I “convert” it to the new Cakewalk to continue working on it?

yes

1 hour ago, Muzeek said:

I’m reading a lot about the periodic “activation” required. Are we somehow notified when this is required? What happens if we miss the date activation was required?

A message appears 15 days before activation lapses. If activation lapses, the program goes into demo mode and will not save data until reactivated. Updates to the software occur every few months, more frequently than the activation period. Updating automatically renews activation. For more info about this subject see https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/26123-activating-cakewalk-by-bandlab/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally started migrating from SONAR 8.5 in January 2022. 🙄 Mind, I had a license for SONAR Platinum that I never opened... :D

It's been pretty smooth thus far, mostly an exercise in battling with outdated plugins, especially since this jump has me moving to 64-bit! Old projects will open in at least a "workable" state, but I'll have to figure out if I can leave v8.5/32 installed just for rendering out old mixes.

- m

9 minutes ago, Markleford said:

Finally started migrating from SONAR 8.5 in January 2022. 🙄 Mind, I had a license for SONAR Platinum that I never opened... :D

It's been pretty smooth thus far, mostly an exercise in battling with outdated plugins, especially since this jump has me moving to 64-bit! Old projects will open in at least a "workable" state, but I'll have to figure out if I can leave v8.5/32 installed just for rendering out old mixes.

Is there a reason why you don't want all the updated plug-ins from Platinum?  Repeatedly I have seen the recommendation not to remove Platinum so that plugins will be available when users install CbB

12 minutes ago, Markleford said:

I'll have to figure out if I can leave v8.5/32 installed just for rendering out old mixes.

Should be able to, if not, Platinum includes a 32bit version too.

Having a working 32bit DAW is handy for transitioning to 64bit.