Jesse Jost

Still using SONAR?

I solved it. You have to move the minimized thingy for the view (right-click and select "move"), then you can stretch it out and put it where you want, and enable floating. This enables me to work in staff or event list views while still having access to Track view, which enables me to select tracks for cutting and pasting. sonar 8.5 was very customizable, although it's harder to do it than in CbB.

Edited by mdiemer

I'm a cakewalk user since 1999 Sonar6 has everything i need and is still my favorite but sadly, now since cakewalk sabotaged their product starting at Sonar8, i have to  "upgrade" .  I'm giving this free cakewalk a try for the third time and this time i promise to be a little patient but to tell you the truth my expectations are not very high. If i have questions of course i will ask.

Edited by SteveAmbient

2 hours ago, SteveAmbient said:

I'm a cakewalk user since 1999 Sonar6 has everything i need and is still my favorite but sadly, now since cakewalk sabotaged their product starting at Sonar8, i have to  "upgrade" .  I'm giving this free cakewalk a try for the third time and this time i promise to be a little patient but to tell you the truth my expectations are not very high. If i have questions of course i will ask.

What on Earth are you talking about "sabotaged?" There's been nothing but a steady stream of improvements, the pace of which has only increased exponentially ever since BandLab took over.

Edited by bdickens

10 minutes ago, bdickens said:

What on Earth are you talking about "sabotaged?" There's been nothing but a steady stream of improvements, the pace of which has only increased exponentially ever since BandLab took over.

I,m not talking about bandlab, but before bandlab. I know nothing about the improvements since bandlab yet.  And if they didn't f*** up they're product it wouldn't be free now.

Edited by SteveAmbient

And how would you know, still being stuck on a version that is 15 years old? From back when Roland still owned it?

@SteveAmbient    The modern version of your (and my) loved Sonar - Cakewalk by Bandlab, contains dozens of times more creative tools and virtual instruments for editing music, while remaining as clear and intuitive as Sonar was in its time. It doesn't take you long to get used to something much more powerful and usable, you waste more time in unproductive nostalgia for the familiar past.

48 minutes ago, Igopp said:

@SteveAmbient    The modern version of your (and my) loved Sonar - Cakewalk by Bandlab, contains dozens of times more creative tools and virtual instruments for editing music, while remaining as clear and intuitive as Sonar was in its time. It doesn't take you long to get used to something much more powerful and usable, you waste more time in unproductive nostalgia for the familiar past.

um, actually less virtual instruments, there's none of the 3rd party stuff typically included with sonar releases (although those that were included with sonar will still work if sonar is still installed)... and the main thing the user really needs to be aware of is the massive overhaul of the UI, almost like a different app altogether

/asyouwere

I have made the switch. However, one niggling fear is if BandLab goes under like Cakewalk. At least with Sonar, once you purchased it, you could continue using it regardless of the source company disappearing from the face of the earth. What worries me now, if BandLab goes under, Cakewalk will stop working, as it relies on the online registration. What highlighted this is my mind was when I stopped using it for a while, and I had to re-register it. If BandLab were no longer responding to eable the registration, I would of been screwed.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JohnK said:

What worries me now, if BandLab goes under, Cakewalk will stop working, as it relies on the online registration. What highlighted this is my mind was when I stopped using it for a while, and I had to re-register it. If BandLab were no longer responding to eable the registration, I would of been screwed.

One thing Noel mentioned years back (around the time we switched over to Bandlab) was that if nothing could be sorted out for SONAR going forward, they would likely release a perpetual activation patch. As we all know now, that wasn't necessary and we've had years of excellent updates and fixes since, but I'd feel pretty confident that if Bandlab ever dropped Cakewalk for whatever reason, the Bakers would be going out of their way to make sure we're all covered.

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

... release a perpetual activation patch.

This would be the most wonderful feature.

Oh! Relief from activation anxiety!

I'd never know when that red box would stop me working until I took my PC in again to re-activate (remembering to turn off Windows Update!) Last time it happened in a band's rehearsal room with no internet.

Activation anxiety...

Which is why I installed only Sonar on my new PC.

Edited by twelvetone

1 hour ago, twelvetone said:

This would be the most wonderful feature.

Oh! Relief from activation anxiety!

I'd never know when that red box would stop me working until I took my PC in again to re-activate (remembering to turn off Windows Update!) Last time it happened in a band's rehearsal room with no internet.

Activation anxiety...

Which is why I installed only Sonar on my new PC.

The thing is with the new Cakewalk, every time you update it automatically refreshes the activation. And the need to activate only happens every 6 or so months anyway. Given the amount of fixes and enhancements we get each other month, I can't imagine your activation would ever lapse if you're even a couple of versions behind the latest.  No need to remember to log into Bandlab Assistant or any of that other stuff, plus you can manually activate anytime you like and that's good for another 6 months, even aside from the audio refresh during updates.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

... , the Bakers would be going out of their way to make sure we're all covered.

If they would have time for it!

1 hour ago, Lord Tim said:

The thing is with the new Cakewalk, every time you update it automatically refreshes the activation.

This is only true if you are online!

1 hour ago, Lord Tim said:

No need to remember to log into Bandlab Assistant or any of that other stuff, plus you can manually activate anytime you like and that's good for another 6 months, even aside from the audio refresh during updates.

Again, the former is not true if you're DAW is offline! The latter maybe possible, but it's somehow complicate because you don't know how many days are left! At least this would be a great improvement, if you could look up how many days are left!

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

I have only ever had to go through the whole reactivation process once since I made the jump.

As long as you are online ... !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marled said:

If they would have time for it!

What do you mean by that? They might get taken by surprise by Bandlab or something?

It was pretty short notice when Gibson pulled the rug out, but you'll see that years later you're still able to get SONAR activations and your purchases from Cakewalk Command Center, so I think that's a pretty good endorsement that they're not going to go running off into the night with your ability to use their software.

As far as the "only if online" stuff goes, you can do an offline activation from the Help menu at any time, just like you could do with SONAR. If you're on the forum now, you have a way of getting onto the net to get the activation key to take to your offline DAW, right? And, as I said, sometime over the course of 6 months, it's probably a good idea to do a program update anyway which will automatically refresh your activation anyway.

Have a look through the new features and bug fixes we've gotten in the last 6 months alone - it's worth grabbing updates more regularly than 6 months apart. And the thing is too, with such a small team, it makes sense for them to nudge people towards getting the latest version because chasing bugs that have already been fixed months ago is a poor use of their time, as much as it's a bit of an inconvenience for people who are offline usually.

That said, I do agree it would be nice to have a "you have 5 days remaining to reactivate Cakewalk" toast or something like that, which will also encourage you to get a new version. It's the best of both worlds in that case.

@marled      It is strange that you see the world - now even in the poorest countries of the "third world" the majority have the Internet, and even more so - those who work with programs of the level Cakewalk by Bandlab  (Sonar).