Jesse Jost

Still using SONAR?

On 16 août 2020 at 11:10 PM, bmog said:

Well I challenge your statement sir, Bandlab crashed on me today and old faithful Sonar Platinum to the rescue. Honestly I don't see enough of an improvement between to the two! Old head since Sonar 8.5 I may never go back to Bandlab version

Funny....Yes i have BL, but Splat, x1,2,3, S8.5, S7 and PA9 are still installed...

I like the simplicity of 8.5 GUI. The first thing I notice when X1 got out was how busy the GUI was and how. "bubbly" it looked....and still does today with BL.

I may finish the work with BL but for quick recording of a couple of tracks/overdubs I'll fire up 8.5 but then I feel guilty because I'm one of the that have paid their way up to SPLAT.

If only I could have the time to review rhe functionnality to at

leaat the ones I should really spend time learning.....(-:

Mario

Check out Workspaces in CbB - if you're finding the UI too busy then you can show as much or as little of it as you like, and set up a specific Workspace to hide everything except for the controls you need to record. Best of all worlds! :)

Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2020 at 9:54 PM, Lord Tim said:

Check out Workspaces in CbB - if you're finding the UI too busy then you can show as much or as little of it as you like, and set up a specific Workspace to hide everything except for the controls you need to record. Best of all worlds! :)

In my opinion Workspaces has some pitfalls.

(1) A project must be open for the Workspace Manager to be enabled.  The Workspace Manager contains the Workspace description text field so you can't read through the descriptions of the six, "factory" Workspaces unless you open a project 

(2) The online or pdf Reference Guides do not include a description of the six "factory" Workspaces.

(3) If a user is new to DAWs in general, or Cakewalk by BandLab in particular, they may not have a good feel for what they need or don't need so Workspaces may not be that useful to a novice.  Yet a novice is likely to be the one most intimidated by the default interface.  I would like to see a workspace guide that approaches building a specific task oriented Workspace.  Something that approaches the issue  by compiling a task list.  For examples: to work with midi you need, to work with notation you need, to work with loops you need and so on.

When the Arranger feature was first announced, a handy dandy 21 page pdf file was posted to the forum.  It explained what the Arranger feature is and how to use it very well.  I'd love to see a similar pdf release for Workspaces.

Cakewalk by BandLab is gaining new users that are also new to DAWs and audio production.  The product needs more guides focused on novice users.

Note:  I understand this post has nothing to do with the thread title but @Lord Tim's post inspired me.  The implication I received from his post is "everyone should know what they want in a workspace and set one up that way".  I'm 100% positive that was not his intent.  @Lord Tim please do not be offended by my post.

Edited by Jim Fogle
  • Like 2

Workspaces definitely went through a bit of an evolution since they were introduced as Lenses and I do think it confused people since Screensets also existed and they seem like they're more or less the same thing on the surface.

I think getting a user to check out the docs to see if that can get them to the end point (ie: uncluttering the UI to focus the tools and workflows to the task they want to achieve) is still a valid suggestion, but yeah - I also tend to agree that it would be nice to see a series of docs/videos similar to the Arranger stuff to help people get the most out of them. The Arranger docs were excellent!

Just FYI though, when you first install CbB now, you get an onboard dialogue that gets you to enable a workspace that suits your needs, with an explanation of what it is. Basic is suggested for new users.  I'm sure this could all be refined more, though!

I think a really detailed "Getting Started" guide would be a good idea for this kind of thing. There's a couple of great YouTube channels out there that do some good ones, but having something during the onboarding process or linked to in help would go a long way, similar to you being guided when the Help Module is open. Advanced users don't need that, but new users would find that invaluable.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

@Lord Tim,

I was not aware new installations have a workspace dialog displayed.  That's a great idea, I wish I had thought of that.  Like you I hope more guidance is in the works.

New installations default to the Basic workspace and users are guided into using a workspace during the onboarding process. I don't think more information than that is required or it will unnecessary confuse first time users.

• Like 1

I think what's there is pretty good already (and very much agreed - too much info jammed in your face actually does the opposite with making people feel comfortable), but we've seen a bit of confusion around the place with some initial set-up and people using the wrong driver models and that kind of thing. I think the actual onboarding isn't bad at all, but perhaps a "want to know more?" sort of link to a short video / doc to help people get the most out of an initial install?

Like Jim says, the Arranger docs were sensational. It'd be awesome to have a visible but optional link to something like that get started, IMO. :)

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 8:10 PM, bmog said:

Well I challenge your statement sir, Bandlab crashed on me today and old faithful Sonar Platinum to the rescue. Honestly I don't see enough of an improvement between to the two!

My guess is that if you compared your Preferences settings between them in the Audio section, perhaps the AUD.INI, there might be a difference or two that would account for this. Even the plug-in paths, because a rogue plug-in that is being scanned can cause problems in certain situations.

Last night I put my laptop to sleep without realizing I had a project up in Cakewalk. Today I'd been using it, then looked down and it stayed open just fine through going into sleep mode for 8 hours and then sitting in the background for 3 more. I don't know what your experience is with stability, but the first build of CbB I used, 2 1/2 years ago, was said to be what would have been the next update of SONAR, but with text strings and branding updated. It could barely handle being left to sit through a screensaver without crashing or locking up, it was just a given that I better restart it between projects and certainly not walk away from an open session for any period of time. The audio engine would stop and need to be restarted like a lawnmower if I did things like change the loop markers too many times with the transport running, sometimes just adding a plug-in. All that is a distant memory.

If SONAR works just fine for you, you don't have the issues that I did, and you're not interested in the new features, then more power to ya. The Arranger Track alone is a great, really useful addition, but you're doing okay without it now.

Calling on my fellow VS-700 users,

On 8/16/2020 at 8:10 PM, bmog said:

Well I challenge your statement sir, Bandlab crashed on me today and old faithful Sonar Platinum to the rescue. Honestly I don't see enough of an improvement between to the two! Old head since Sonar 8.5 I may never go back to Bandlab version

I have tried the driver hack that others have been using. I was able to install the drivers in Win10 but they didn't actually work.. they showed up in the preferences, but did not work with the vs700c for me, then there were some added bugs/popups too. I went back to windows 8.1, and back to Sonar, and it works perfectly, with full functionality.

Is anyone using the vs700 with bandlab with actually full functionality with all it's features and no bugs? As in not just the faders, but everything?

There were some functions lost with Sonar x1 and x2 from what I've read, so I went back to Producer 8.5, as that was when Roland had everything fully tuned to work seamlessly with Sonar. It seems there has been a decline in some of the advanced features since then.

For instance, I want to be able to use the video mixing and surround sound capabilities, and make use of a lot of the original features when the vs700 came out. From what I can tell the greatest/smoothest/seamless integration only really happened at producer 8.5.. and then at Sonar x1/x2 it started to lose a bit of functionality. Then now there is the driver hack, that doesn't properly work for me at all (yet), but seems to be working fine for some others, but not all. Am I missing something here? Is anyone running Cakewalk Bandlab on Windows 10 with FULL VS700 functionality with all it's features? Or are people running earlier versions of Sonar in Windows 10?

For seamless integration and functionality I've had to go all the way back to Sonar/Cakewalk Producer 8.5 on Windows 8.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've read so many past threads and spent days and days trying to solve this.

And just for my own two cents worth- Roland should look after their customers better. To sell a premium studio product with a high price tag, and then just dump everyone who bought the gear is shameful. It's like selling a car that no longer drives due to a minor software issue. It's enough to make me want to dump Roland after years of being a loyal customer. The fact that Cakewalk changed hands is no excuse IMO.

If Bandlab are able to sort out a new driver that enables a fully functional vs700 with Cakewalk/Bandlab, with all of it's original features, they will certainly have a very loyal customer in me- but not until then.

It's such a shame because the VS700c is such an amazing controller. I want to be using all it's features! But I have to go back in time to do so.

I am on the latest version of Bandlab and I am using the vs700 controller only.
It does not work 100% as intended but good enough for me.
I no longer use the 700 sound interface as I now upgraded to a UAD product.

There will be no driver updates for the product.
We are fortunate that BandLab still manages to use the products after so many upgrades  but I cant see this lasting for ever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvan7 said:

Calling on my fellow VS-700 users,

I have tried the driver hack that others have been using. I was able to install the drivers in Win10 but they didn't actually work.. they showed up in the preferences, but did not work with the vs700c for me, then there were some added bugs/popups too. I went back to windows 8.1, and back to Sonar, and it works perfectly, with full functionality.

Is anyone using the vs700 with bandlab with actually full functionality with all it's features and no bugs? As in not just the faders, but everything?

There were some functions lost with Sonar x1 and x2 from what I've read, so I went back to Producer 8.5, as that was when Roland had everything fully tuned to work seamlessly with Sonar. It seems there has been a decline in some of the advanced features since then.

For instance, I want to be able to use the video mixing and surround sound capabilities, and make use of a lot of the original features when the vs700 came out. From what I can tell the greatest/smoothest/seamless integration only really happened at producer 8.5.. and then at Sonar x1/x2 it started to lose a bit of functionality. Then now there is the driver hack, that doesn't properly work for me at all (yet), but seems to be working fine for some others, but not all. Am I missing something here? Is anyone running Cakewalk Bandlab on Windows 10 with FULL VS700 functionality with all it's features? Or are people running earlier versions of Sonar in Windows 10?

For seamless integration and functionality I've had to go all the way back to Sonar/Cakewalk Producer 8.5 on Windows 8.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've read so many past threads and spent days and days trying to solve this.

And just for my own two cents worth- Roland should look after their customers better. To sell a premium studio product with a high price tag, and then just dump everyone who bought the gear is shameful. It's like selling a car that no longer drives due to a minor software issue. It's enough to make me want to dump Roland after years of being a loyal customer. The fact that Cakewalk changed hands is no excuse IMO.

If Bandlab are able to sort out a new driver that enables a fully functional vs700 with Cakewalk/Bandlab, with all of it's original features, they will certainly have a very loyal customer in me- but not until then.

It's such a shame because the VS700c is such an amazing controller. I want to be using all it's features! But I have to go back in time to do so.

Are you using just he 700C or the Surface/Rack combo? I've got the full rig and I don't really have any issues with getting the driver installed. If you could provide some specifics as to the problems you're seeing, we could troubleshoot it a bit. It's not going to be as seamless of a system as it was with SONAR 8.5 considering it was specifically designed for that implementation, but generally it should work fine with any of the SONAR X Series, Platinum, or Cakewalk by BandLab. 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

On 9/9/2020 at 6:33 AM, Jonathan Sasor said:

Are you using just he 700C or the Surface/Rack combo? I've got the full rig and I don't really have any issues with getting the driver installed. If you could provide some specifics as to the problems you're seeing, we could troubleshoot it a bit. It's not going to be as seamless of a system as it was with SONAR 8.5 considering it was specifically designed for that implementation, but generally it should work fine with any of the SONAR X Series, Platinum, or Cakewalk by BandLab. 

Thanks for responding. I am using the console and rack combo.

I've actually found another thread where someone was having the same issue and you gave a link to download the control surface plug in 1.2-- which I've done and now it seems to be integrating communicating with the console again. Major step in the right direction.. It's a different thread so I am not sure whether I can quote it here but I will try and add it below.

Edited by Silvan7
Updated
  • Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 4:30 AM, Jonathan Sasor said:

I'm just catching up to this thread now. If you've seen the 2020.04 Early Access threads you could tell things have been busy in the Bakery of late getting ready for the formal drop.

@Mark Withers what you need should be right here: https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013201/V-Studio-700-Control-Surface-Plug-in-version-1-2-update#

If you're running a VS-700 you should likely have a single sign on account to grab that link, but otherwise let me know and I can get you a link otherwise.

This was the missing link I needed to get my vs700 working with Cakewalk Bandlab

I've did the 1.31 firmware upgrade for the VS700c but somehow I missed this "control surface plug in version 1.2 update"

And I'm running it through the WASAPI Exclusive audio driver. I can't seem to get it to work with ASIO?

Things are certainly looking up. At least the controller is working now, in CwB, on win10.

Do you (or anyone) know how well the surround panner and T-bar functionality work with bandlab? or the V-link? I could not load up the surround panner at all. 

Edited by Silvan7
Update/questions
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Silvan7 said:

This was the missing link I needed to get my vs700 working with Cakewalk Bandlab

I've did the 1.31 firmware upgrade for the VS700c but somehow I missed this "control surface plug in version 1.2 update"

And I'm running it through the WASAPI Exclusive audio driver. I can't seem to get it to work with ASIO?

Things are certainly looking up. At least the controller is working now, in CwB, on win10.

Do you (or anyone) know how well the surround panner and T-bar functionality work with bandlab? or the V-link? I could not load up the surround panner at all. 

WASAPI certainly works on mine as well, but so does ASIO. The T bar/Surround panner are working fine for me, the same as in SONAR Platinum at least, so there haven't been any changes that should impact that. 

The surface 1.2 update should be downloadable off the old site with your old SSO login, but PM me if you can't get that link and I can send you a link. 

• Like 3