Jesse Jost

Still using SONAR?

I use both 64 bit and 32 bit plugins with Cakewalk for Bandlab and never have any trouble. I really don't understand it when people say they can't use 32 bit plugins with Cakewalk for Bandlab.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Terry Saunders said:

I have and will always use Sonar X3 PE,

respectfully, no you won't, and the sooner you start making plans to upgrade the better :)

good luck

• Haha 1

Using 32 bit plugins in  native 32 bit DAW, I get to use the entire plugin(s) UI, whereas using jBridge, some of the plugin(s) UI is hidden and can't be used, such as when creating presets, some of the UI's when using jBridge hides that option and I can't recall the presets.

2 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

respectfully, no you won't, and the sooner you start making plans to upgrade the better :)

good luck

OK, well without sounding sarcastic, if I send you a list of all my VST's including VSTi's will you be able to find 64 bit versions of *ALL* of them?

1 minute ago, Terry Saunders said:

OK, well without sounding sarcastic, if I send you a list of all my VST's including VSTi's will you be able to find 64 bit versions of *ALL* of them?

no of course not, which is why you need to make plans (including replacements for the 32bit only ones)

not trying to be funny, but software doesn't stop canging and at some point you do need to throw things away

luckily for the world, i'm just a hobbyist so it's easy for me to do that

bounce to audio your 32bit stuff and move forwards :)

good luck :)

1 hour ago, Terry Saunders said:

Cakewalk, doesn't have VST bridging builtin

Yes it does. It is called BitBridge. Cakewalk purchased the source code for it years ago. It was part of the IP BandLab purchased from Gibson.

When a plug-in is loaded into BitBridge the standard header is in a second window.

1SMUZ3H.png

To access the second window hold down the ALT key when adding the plug-in or opening the plug-in UI. X3 uses the SHIFT key instead of the ALT key. Typically the second window opens behind the plug-in UI.

That said, working with 32bit plug-ins in 64bit host is not optimal.

One big problem with 32bit software is lack of support. Manufacturers are discontinuing 32bit plug-ins. A lot of 32bit plug-ins have not been updated in years.

Of course, this is not an issue as long as one is satisfied with what they have, do not require support and make no changes to their platform. Use whatever makes you happy.

I elected to move to 64bit around 10 years ago not because I had plug-ins that needed to access more the 4GB of RAM (the hard limit for 32bit software regardless of the OS) and, of course, not because of the sound (can't believe anyone even mentions this after all these years) but for the same reason I moved from 16bit computing to 32bit computing - to say on a supported platform current developers design their products around. Not that the tools developed 10-20 years ago are bad, they were good at the time and many are adequate today but I appreciate the advances made in the last decade.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, scook said:

I elected to move to 64bit around 10 years ago

do keep up at the back! ;)

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2020 at 5:53 AM, Terry Saunders said:

I have and will always use Sonar X3 PE

Hey Terry if it works for you, more power to ya.  Some people want the latest and greatest because it is just that, some because it works better for them or eliminates some problem that bugged them.  Others are cool with what they have and are in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp.  If I were a violinist and had a 200-year-old violin, I'm not putting it into the dumpster only because I saw a newer one on Amazon.  Again this presumes that your tools do what you need.

Besides, what kind of reaction do you expect on a CwB forum anyway?  SONAR users not into CwB are less likely to be on here in the first place.

OK I am done ranting, and I shall now stop typing on my 1986 genuine IBM 101-key AT keyboard (Seriously. Model M. Look it up.)

Edited by LS Allen

I made the switch as soon as BandLab offered. I kept, and still keep Sonar installed. I don't use it often, but times like these, where the May 2020 update to CwB has glitches/bugs, and there is no going back to a previous version, I have to go back to Sonar just so I can work in peace. I hope they hurry and fix it.

11 minutes ago, Randall Forsythe said:

I made the switch as soon as BandLab offered. I kept, and still keep Sonar installed. I don't use it often, but times like these, where the May 2020 update to CwB has glitches/bugs, and there is no going back to a previous version, I have to go back to Sonar just so I can work in peace. I hope they hurry and fix it.

ahh... but there is...

"Should you need to revert to the 2020.04 release, you can download the Cakewalk 2020.04 Rollback installer."

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

ahh... but there is...

"Should you need to revert to the 2020.04 release, you can download the Cakewalk 2020.04 Rollback installer."

And here I almost didn't post. Thank you, this saves me a lot of trouble.

UPDATE:
I ended up rolling back to 2020.1 which gave me some relief from the errors. I will wait for the next update before I upgrade again.
Fingers crossed.

Edited by Randall Forsythe
  • Like 1

Hello Tech Wizards! ☺️

I'm on Sonar Platinum (v23.10.0.14) and I would like to try out the latest CbB release (2020.05), but I have little desire to do a 1GB+ online installation on my unstable internet connection. So my question is, can this latest CbB version be downloaded as an offline installer? ...so that the only online task will be the activation. One more ting, what is the average CPU usage on the latest CbB compared to Sonar?

zac 😎

...hope this is the right place for these questions. B|

It is, and you can't.

But in reality, the online installed shoves an installer into your system and then executes it after download is completed. So it's really about the same diff either way. But there is no offline installer per se.

Re: CPU Utiization...No noticeable difference from SPLAT here.. For me CPU usage comes more from Soft Synths than anything else and can be managed even with my pretty low powered proc. 

Same as it ever was

On 6/22/2020 at 6:52 AM, zac said:

I have little desire to do a 1GB+ online installation

The good news is the core CbB install is about 500MB

I still have Samplitude installed, too, which I bought when SONAR went away - but never really used because two months later the Bandlab acquisition was announced. Been using CbB ever since, including hundreds of hours in the PRV with no issues.

On 8/15/2019 at 3:59 AM, Jesse Jost said:

Still using SONAR? Time to upgrade Cakewalk by BandLab!

SONAR is now Cakewalk by BandLab. With countless improvements, plus major stability and performance enhancements, Cakewalk by BandLab is the DAW you know and love, only better!

And did we mention it's FREE?

There's never been a better time to start using Cakewalk by BandLab. If you have questions or concerns about getting started, this handy FAQ will tell you all you need to know: 

https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/FAQ/

Any chance to make the VS700 officially back to live? 

13 minutes ago, reza sadeghi said:

i think you'd need to ask roland

On 8/2/2020 at 6:14 AM, reza sadeghi said:

It's a unsigned driver thing as I am sure you know.  I don't think Bandlab got the IP for the driver stack in the acquisition.  As far as why Roland doesn't put in the work to get the driver signature thing done - either they just don't give a sh!t about their former customers (Most likely) or there is something with the drivers construction that would not pass muster with Microsoft - elevated permissions or something  (could happen...)

In any event, the hack from the old forum works fine and my VS-700 unofficially works trouble free in Windows 10.

Edited by StudioNSFW