Jesse Jost

Still using SONAR?

Back to the original question. Still using SONAR?

Yes and No.

Here's the No.

I took the opportunity to "explore" when Gibson shut down SONAR development. I already owned Reaper and Mixbus. Reaper does not meet my workflow requirement even though intellectually/technically it's the most robust DAW if you take forever and a DAW to customize it to your needs. Mixbus 32C is *not* a tracking or editing DAW (to me), it's a mixing environment that I enjoy when I use it that way.

I picked up Samplitude 3 Suite and Mixcraft 8. Both cute but not my cuppa. I owned Studio One 3 but since I found out about the Arranger and Chord Track features in Version 4 I thought they were going to be right up my alley. So I  upgraded. It is now my main day-to-day DAW.

Here's the Yes.

I collaborate with people still on CbB. Once I have created an baseline arrangement of  a song (where I'm the initial composer) I make a tracking shell (empty .cwp) with markers, tempo and time signatures. I export tracks/stems/mix and send them along with the .cwp and a handmade Chord cheat sheet.

Since then I have become DAW curious and have acquired ProTools 2019 perpetual, Digital Performer 10, Cubase 11 and ever since getting a refurbished Macbook Pro I got Logic Pro X and I have upgraded to Reaper 6. I also upgraded to Samplitude 4 and Mixcraft 9 (mainly because they were soooo cheap and  they made pretty big changes I was curious to try out). I have installed all the DAWs that are fully cross platform ready on both the PC and and the Mac.  I'm prepared for Armageddon.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:59 PM, Bapu said:

Since then I have become DAW curious and have acquired ProTools 2019 perpetual, Digital Performer 10, Cubase 11 and ever since getting a refurbished Macbook Pro I got Logic Pro X and I have upgraded to Reaper 6. I also upgraded to Samplitude 4 and Mixcraft 9 (mainly because they were soooo cheap and  they made pretty big changes I was curious to try out). I have installed all the DAWs that are fully cross platform ready on both the PC and and the Mac.  I'm prepared for Armageddon.

Blimey

How do you have time to make any music !

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Blimey

How do you have time to make any music !

There is always the time to make music. I just fire up the 'other' DAWs when I'm curious about an example that has been presented on the web in that particular DAW.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:59 AM, Bapu said:

I have installed all the DAWs that are fully cross platform ready on both the PC and and the Mac.

No licenses for FL Studio or Ableton Live!, though. Which is understandable if your focus is recording of live instruments, comping and editing tracks.

It is my understanding that the comping facilities in Live! are....rudimentary?

On 4/5/2020 at 10:07 AM, kitekrazy said:

The attitude among developers wasn't "yes another competitor gone" but almost like they lost a family member.  A longtime standing DAW goes under it chips at the confidence of DAW developers.

True. It was interesting to observe. Obviously, the "refugee discounts" were good for business, but I believe that you are correct. Having a 30-year company in your industry go down is not a good sign.

I've worked in both MI and software, and they're both industries where people move from company to company and wind up having friends at other companies, and they know what the employees are going to go through at termination time. I've been among the last standing at a dwindling company and it is awful, I never want to go through it again.

Moreover, people do tend to genuinely believe in what they do, even if it's only on some level. People whose careers or just jobs revolve around catering to the needs of some user base or other care about that user base and understand that their product may not be the answer for everyone. If it were, they would already have 100% of the market.

My business is (or was, I am on medical leave) repairing musical instrument amplifiers. For many years there was another amp repair guy less than a mile away, booming business, factory service for some major brands, etc. He left the business and I was sincerely bummed about that because there are already too few people in my area fixing amps and I knew he was good at it (if a bit chilly in demeanor). I'm a good capitalist, I know that competition is healthy, even for those being competed with.

I'm in the yes and no category. I have almost 20 years of projects going back to Pro Audio 9. There have been several times over the last 2 years where I had to revisit some of them for either remixes or reworking.  Basically I have no choice but to use SONAR or Bandlab to do this at least to start. I have, since the great panic of November 2017, switched to Reaper almost 100% and don't envision going back to SONAR as my main DAW at this point. There was a user here named Azlow who developed a plugin that allows me to open SONAR and Bandlab projects in Reaper so I've made use of that a lot in recent months. It's not perfect, but it gets me up and running. I still think SONAR/Bandlab is a fine DAW and often tell people about it who want to get started or don't have a lot of $$. Of course it means I become their tech support at times since I know the program so well :). I guess my only real gripe is that when using it for really big projects, it gets very clunky on my machine. I don't have that issue with Reaper. I also tried Samplitude, Studio One, and even a light version of Cubase, but didn't care for their workflow. BTW has anyone looked at Ardour ever?

hi I own old version of sonar and i would like to download the bandlab version and my question is how do I connect my VST programs that I purchase and installed under the old version, such as omnisphere,  FM8 etc, to the new version. in addition will bandlab provide telephone support. that would be big for us users even if we have to pay for it

Thank You

George

11 hours ago, gbc410 said:

hi I own old version of sonar and i would like to download the bandlab version and my question is how do I connect my VST programs that I purchase and installed under the old version, such as omnisphere,  FM8 etc, to the new version. in addition will bandlab provide telephone support. that would be big for us users even if we have to pay for it

Thank You

George

First of all, don't uninstall SONAR... that way all the bundled content with SONAR will be available to Cakewalk by BandLab.

Then:

1. Open SONAR, go to Preferences->VST Settings and take a note of the VST paths you have set in SONAR and close SONAR.
2. Install Cakewalk by BandLab
3. Within Cakewalk, go to Preferences->VST Settings
4. Add all the paths in (1) to the VST paths in Cakewalk
5. Click the Scan button

Cakewalk by Bandlab is so much better than Sonar Platinum. I love all the  new features and Bandlab did an awesome job with this program. Every time I get into a DAW discussion I tell everyone about Cakewalk. I really appreciate what Bandlab has done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marcus Curtis said:

Cakewalk by Bandlab is so much better than Sonar Platinum. I love all the  new features and Bandlab did an awesome job with this program. Every time I get into a DAW discussion I tell everyone about Cakewalk. I really appreciate what Bandlab has done.

Indeed! Same here. Cakewalk is incredible DAW and I try to recommend and tell about Cakewalk when there are some DAW discussions. Sadly is that a lot of people even doesnt know about Cakewalk and only remember Sonar and know as much as nothing about new Cakewalk by Bandlab!

• Like 1

Yeah, but what about those of us still using Windows XP who can't afford a new computer running Windows 10, and are stuck using an older version of SONAR. Gibson threw us under the bus. I need the Mp3 encoder Activator for my SONAR 5 and the Cakewalk Store no longer exists which is where that was available. This stinks!

So, you never bothered to get it in the 5 plus years that it was available, and so you were "thrown under the bus"?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, StudioNSFW said:

So, you never bothered to get it in the 5 plus years that it was available, and so you were "thrown under the bus"?

Computer crashed and I had to reinstall it, then the 30 day trial quit. I don't think it would have been that much trouble for them to continue to make it available for anyone that might need it. How hard could it be for all the computer geniuses they have working  for them.

Edited by david40
typo

Posted (edited)

Actually, it wouldn't have been hard, it would have been impossible. 

Good news is...MP3 encoders are easy.  Read up on LAME .  

https://lame.sourceforge.io

It worked on WinXP back then so still does and does a great job . 

Edited by StudioNSFW
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I use the DLL with GoldWave. I've had the eval for, like, forever. Many moons ago, pre-Napster I was doing rips that way and serving them up via FTP...old school MP3 pioneer here..

still available at https://www.goldwave.com and if I just need to do a quick heads and tails edit of a finished product, I still do it in Goldwave. Same tools since Win98...

Kids these days...geez. 

Edited by StudioNSFW

3 hours ago, StudioNSFW said:

Good news is...MP3 encoders are easy.  Read up on LAME .  

https://lame.sourceforge.io

I actually did try to get Lame set up but SONAR won't use it. The external configuration tool is looking for a .reg file and Lame doesn't give me one, so I can't figure out how to make that work. I really loved the original Fraunhofer encoder because it was the best, superior sound even at lower resolutions.

Hey everybody,

I've recently fired Cakewalk back up and I've kept it up to date regularly.  I've been spending more time in it recently to render out multitracks from my old projects and it's been nice.  It's been AMAZING to put my hands back on Dimension and Rapture...I love how those sound.

Donny