Jesse Jost

Still using SONAR?

Still using SONAR? Time to upgrade Cakewalk by BandLab!

SONAR is now Cakewalk by BandLab. With countless improvements, plus major stability and performance enhancements, Cakewalk by BandLab is the DAW you know and love, only better!

And did we mention it's FREE?

There's never been a better time to start using Cakewalk by BandLab. If you have questions or concerns about getting started, this handy FAQ will tell you all you need to know: 

https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/FAQ/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1

This is excellent!

I would like to suggest one good-natured correction:

"Is Cakewalk by BandLab the same program as SONAR Platinum?

Yes, Cakewalk by BandLab is the exact same core program as SONAR Platinum, only with a new name and many improvements."

Should read:

"Is Cakewalk by BandLab the same program as SONAR Platinum?

While this was initially true, Cakewalk by BandLab, is now an  improved, enhanced, evolved version of Sonar Platinum. Anyone familiar with Sonar will be able to jump in and use their exact same workflow and methods, but Cakewalk by BandLab has enhancements that have taken it far beyond the Sonar Platinum legacy."

😉

• Like 2

I have Sonar on my system but I have not used it for a very long time.  In fact I removed the icon on the task bar.  Now I have Cakewalk by itself on the task bar.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John said:

Now I have Cakewalk by itself on the task bar.

But John how is Cakewalk going to have babies now with no mate to  make music 😉 😉  :D

• Like 1

I still have the SPlat shortcut on my desktop, dunno why. Haven't touched it since CbB. I still have Samplitude installed, too, which I bought when SONAR went away - but never really used because two months later the Bandlab acquisition was announced. Been using CbB ever since, including hundreds of hours in the PRV with no issues.

1 minute ago, bitflipper said:

I still have the SPlat shortcut on my desktop, dunno why. Haven't touched it since CbB. I still have Samplitude installed, too, which I bought when SONAR went away - but never really used because two months later the Bandlab acquisition was announced. Been using CbB ever since, including hundreds of hours in the PRV with no issues.

I think Samplitude is on a lot of desktops without being used. Its on mine too. 

Ho ho ho it's MAGIX.

Never checked out Samplitude. Magix' products seem relatively under the radar in the US, although I upgraded from Vegas 10 to 15 via Humble Bundle and they are doing a BandLab-esque job of improving it and wailing on the bugs.

I checked out Music Maker and it's not bad as a way to get one's feet wet in the land of DAW's.

51 minutes ago, John said:

I think Samplitude is on a lot of desktops without being used. Its on mine too. 

I ended up removing Samplitude X3 Pro completely.  I didn't really like it (instruments are locked to it).  Went back to Cakewalk by Bandlab.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kev said:

Lodging a support ticket will get a better response.  There, your issue will have a reference number assigned and they can keep better track of the progress.

Simply relying on the forums will mean your issue will get lost in the hundreds of other posts.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Not sure I would call that "reported", this is just a thread you created in the old forums. I remember it because I commented on it.

This may be difficult to fix because I couldn't reproduce that on my machine,

PRV tabs remained docked after reload.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3789736

Unless I misunderstood you. Which in that case id be happy to go through it again. There have been a lot of fixes since then, have you tried it lately ? If it is a bug, its possible its fixed now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tenfoot said:

Still using Sonar for its offline installer.

I believe you can still do that Bandlab. The only need to go online/use the Bandlab app  is to install your update (same as Sonar was).

11 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

...There have been a lot of fixes since then, have you tried it lately ? If it is a bug, its possible its fixed now.

2018.08 was the last version that I tried. If I get time this weekend I will check out the latest version.

1 hour ago, Chuck E Baby said:

I believe you can still do that Bandlab. The only need to go online/use the Bandlab app  is to install your update (same as Sonar was).

I believe, though I hope I am wrong, that even if you do that Cakewalk will occasionally revert to demo mode and need to be re authorised Chuck. Not really someting I would like to have happen with a client in the studio, but even more inconvenient at a gig. Don't get me wrong. I see why they do it. It's free! Just doesn't scream professional should it happen in either scenario.

11 hours ago, Tenfoot said:

I hope I am wrong, that even if you do that Cakewalk will occasionally revert to demo mode

I run Bandlab offline once in a while and haven't had this happen to me, though anything is possible.

Here is the official word from Cakewalk/Bandlab

Does Cakewalk by BandLab require an internet connection to work?

While Cakewalk by BandLab will require an internet connection to install, activate, and update, you will not need an internet connection to run the program.

I hope this helps @Tenfoot.

It really is a great program. I've used Cakewalk Sonar for years and I love it but if I thought for a second there was some kind of "catch" to this free thing (which maybe there is but I haven't seen it) I would be moving on.

I use the new Bandlab because it has 10X times the fixes and enhancements than Sonar ever had.

• Thanks 1