Any way to make Novation Automap work??

winkpain

My Novation Impulse keyboard/controller surface used to work fine with its Automap software and Cakewalk Sonar.

Now with CbB, I simply cannot get my keyboard to work any more for both note input AND a controller surface - specifically in regard to the transport buttons. Either I have the Impulse as a controller with the hardware surface controls functioning (thru Automap) and then the keys WILL NOT transmit notes, OR I remove the Automap controller functioning and the keys work again for notes, but the hardware controls no longer function.

I have been using the Impulse with Automap and Cakewalk for years with everything working fine.

I have uninstalled Automap, re-installed it and ran the initialization wizard but to no effect.

What has changed?  What do I do to get all functions working again??

Edited by winkpain
update on controller info

Hi winkpain . . . I hear your pain . . . I've also got the Novation Impulse controller, but I have abandoned the AutoMap software.

I originally installed it with Sonar years ago, had it working for a while, but mysteriously "things" changed, and due to too many frustrations with it, I tried AZ Controller.

The AZ controller interface was created by a member of the cakewalk forum (azslow), and he's kept it up to date with the recent changes to cakewalk by bandlab.

Yes, Automap has more powerful features, but it just doesn't work anymore for me in the bandlab world, so it's power is diminished shall we say ?

Anyways, hope this helps . . . just a tip from a fellow Impulse user.

Automap never worked properly for my Impulse 61. This was the same for Sonar as well as CbBL.

Novation never seemed to bother much with Cakewalk. They seemed to jump through hoops with other DAWs.

I just have the midi driver installed now and use a Korg NanoStudio for transport etc.

15 hours ago, noynekker said:

Hi winkpain . . . I hear your pain . . . I've also got the Novation Impulse controller, but I have abandoned the AutoMap software.

I originally installed it with Sonar years ago, had it working for a while, but mysteriously "things" changed, and due to too many frustrations with it, I tried AZ Controller.

The AZ controller interface was created by a member of the cakewalk forum (azslow), and he's kept it up to date with the recent changes to cakewalk by bandlab.

Yes, Automap has more powerful features, but it just doesn't work anymore for me in the bandlab world, so it's power is diminished shall we say ?

Anyways, hope this helps . . . just a tip from a fellow Impulse user

@noynekker  Are you saying that AZ is software that makes the Impulse work with Cakewalk, or that I would need to get another physical controller?  I don't care about using the Automap software specifically. It works wonderfully with Ableton where I use it more to its potential. But with CbB I just want to use the Impulse with simple transport and mixer control in addition to note input...

@Hughb  I'm just saying that Automap and Cakewalk worked fine for me (for my minimal needs in that regard) before and now it does not. So something changed, it seems, with the Bandlab version.

Anyway, not having had to ever figure it out before, it is now time for me to familiarize myself with setting up ACT or Generic surface control from scratch. It seems that is all I have to do. That is certainly better solution for me than going out and buying another piece of hardware.

Thanks anyway.

7 hours ago, winkpain said:

@noynekker  Are you saying that AZ is software that makes the Impulse work with Cakewalk, or that I would need to get another physical controller?  I don't care about using the Automap software specifically. It works wonderfully with Ableton where I use it more to its potential. But with CbB I just want to use the Impulse with simple transport and mixer control in addition to note input...

Yes, I have AZ Controller working for my Novation Impulse inside Cakewalk by Bandlab.  If you're looking for basic controls it might work for you.

azslow has a web site, and there's also lot's of info there about Cakewalk's ACT interface, and there's a forum, well worth checking out.

Do a search for "Novation" there's a lot there.

http://www.azslow.com/

• 1 year later...

HI:)

@devonaire45

It's definitely no dangerous site! I'm on the forum (with lots of other Cakewalk Users) since 2015 and never had any problems. I visited azslow in Heidelberg this summer and can for sure confirm that he is not "dangerous" 😅

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/dangerous-website-blocked-problem

It is obviously blocking non-dangerous websites!

@winkpain

I can help you writing a preset if you want to use AZController

Greetz;)  (Underneath my latest preset)

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2020 at 6:07 PM, devonaire45 said:

NORTON IS REPORTING AZLOW.COM AS A "KNOWN DANGEROUS WEBSITE"

Lets compare....

1. who force you to give complete private information? azslow.com - no, norton.com - yes
  2. who is taking money from you? azslow.com - no, norton.com -yes
  3. can you get private information of concrete person which is the owner of the site? azslow.com - yes, norton.com - no

So, which from these 2 sites is more dangerous?

Also check the terms and conditions you have agreed when you have installed Norton. They do not promise you anything they report has something to do with reality, they explicitly refuse to take any responsibility for false (positive nor negative) information. They effectively reporting your what they want and ask you to pay for that.

Note (3): my real e-mail (+address, +name, +telephone) is associated with my domain. Have I EVER got e-mail/post/call from ANY "service" which declared me as "known dangerous"? NO! At the same time when some of our servers/workstations at work is really infected, we get notification within several hours (days at most). 

-------

Since years I am periodically "reported"... sometimes the website, sometimes particular versions of my software, etc. Once I get throw ridiculous procedure to whitelist my staff (complete personal information is required to register on each service, then one or more e-mails, putting special files to the website, etc...), they just whitelist me. No explanation why it was blacklisted, no apologize, sometimes not even simple notification that has happened... So I no longer waste my time doing this.

• 2 years later...
On 8/16/2019 at 11:50 AM, WinkPain said:

@noynekker Thanks for the advice! I did check out AZ, but it's way more complex than what I need. Just finally figuring out (again) how to use ACT does the job for me.

Thanks again

I’m new to ACT… any ideas on how to configure this for the Impulse in Cakewalk? I see nothing that came with the Novatoon software that looks like an ACT driver… I have exactly the same problem as described here…

mthanks in advance