Jump to content
cclarry

Humble Bundle Magix software!

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I love that GUI.  It's the best thing about it.

How it looks, sure. How it works, not so much... Although some of the shortcuts and the workflow really are nice. I like simple, and Acid could have excelled at that, if it weren't for the flaws that race to cancel out the conveniences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sarine said:

How it looks, sure. How it works, not so much... Although some of the shortcuts and the workflow really are nice. I like simple, and Acid could have excelled at that, if it weren't for the flaws that race to cancel out the conveniences.

 I had an issue where I clicked the eraser and couldn't unclick it.

Edited by kitekrazy
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 6:14 PM, trager said:

Some may wish to note that the cheaper MAGIX stuff, e.g. Music Maker, tends to include adware which cannot be opted out of during install and which will pop up special offers on your desktop. Or at least it has been that way in the past. You have to uninstall an app called Connect to stop this happening. Sound Forge is not affected, to my knowledge.

Magic Connect (whatever they call it now) can be deflected before downloading the installers. So, you're wrong... just look 😉

It's definitely opt in, and can be easily uninstalled; even if you fail to pay attention to what you tell it to download. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2019 at 4:29 AM, ZincT said:

Thanks Larry! 

I have recently sold off all of my Samplitube Pro X3 Suite parts which I bought when Cakewalk went under. I sold it in parts including SF Pro 11 and ended up slightly in profit so cannot complain! However I couldn't resist this deal to get SF Pro 12. I will definitely get Vegas 16 too when that's in an HB deal even though I am finding DaVinci Resolve to be a great replacement (v 16 is now out of beta and 16.1 beta has just been released).

 

Sound Forge and ACID are more valuable than VEGAS Pro, especially now that Resolve has a Free Version that is better than VEGAS Pro - for $0 buy-in.  ACID runs circles around most generalist DAWs for Loop-Based Music production; so for those in that niche this is an amazing deal.

The Sound Pools distributed with ACID Pro  can be used for commercial compositions, and so can the other sound pool in the $25 Tier - that MSRP is for the Commercial Use License (I checked & Confirmed).

The Music Maker sound pools are Non-Commercial Use Licenses - which is normal for all of MAGIX Consumer Market products (the products that aren't in the Pro Tier: Video Pro X, Samplitude Pro X4 [Suite], VEGAS Pro, ACID Pro, SOUND FORGE Pro, etc.

I bought Resolve Studio, though.  So I don't use VEGAS Pro anymore.

Edited by SomeGuy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be interested in sound forge pro, still don't understand how this all works,

You have to subscribe for $12.00, then pay $1.00 for the edm stuff, then you have to also pay $16.54 or more and then also pay $25.00 "or more" to get sound forge, is that right. Has anyone actually bought, downloaded and installed sound forge from this deal yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tezza, you don't have to subscribe. $25 gets you everything in the bundle...the EDM stuff, Sound Forge Pro, etc. Just click to buy and set your price at $25 and you'll get it all :)

Bill

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What CJ said....it's just $25 for the whole bundle...no subscription required

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tezza said:

I'd be interested in sound forge pro, still don't understand how this all works,

You have to subscribe for $12.00, then pay $1.00 for the edm stuff, then you have to also pay $16.54 or more and then also pay $25.00 "or more" to get sound forge, is that right. Has anyone actually bought, downloaded and installed sound forge from this deal yet?

Pay a minimum of $25 in one single payment and you get all the software in that bundle. 

 

Yes, installed and authorized SF12 pro on two machines from this deal, after adding the serial number they give you to my Magix account.  It works.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the only subscription they have is for the monthly gaming bundle.  For me those are too hit and miss, but to be fair my backlog of games is huge so I also just don't need it to get a bunch of games each month that I might play next year etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

ACID Pro also functions actions as a ReWire Slave and Host, so you can use it as an I instrument from other DAWs, as well... if that floats your boat. 

Haven't installed it on my main machine, cause I'm worried its instruments will mess with my Samplitude install (uses same instruments, but bot sure how the licensing/DRM) works. I'm interested in using it to chop up tracks to rearrange or reuse sections, though. 

The Loops are useful. 

The MAGIX eFX Suite from ACID can be used in other DAWs and NLEs, as well, so they're an upgrade over Sonitus FX in CbB. I did test that. AM-Track SE also works, but not Vandal SE. 

All the DirectX plugins show up and are usable in CbB, except "ACID FX" (I hate this).

All of its bundled VSTs work in Sound Forge Pro 12 and Vegas Pro - so it seems Vandal SE is vendor locked, but not locked to a specific product/version. 

Edited by SomeGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SomeGuy said:

ACID Pro also functions actions as a ReWire Slave and Host, so you can use it as an I instrument from other DAWs, as well... if that floats your boat.

I wouldn't count on ReWireing ACID Pro.  I sure couldn't get it work right and I'm pretty good with stuff like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Acid would be a nice tool indeed, if only it didn't lag and crash so much. I actually had less issues with v8 than with v9, then again my projects grew by the time v9 was released. On yet another hand, v9 now crashes occasionally just from loading a minuscule project with three VI tracks and pressing play. If I'm using ASIO, some projects don't load at all. It also crashes if I change sample rate to anything but 44.1kHz, except when 1 out of 10 times doesn't, for no obvious reason.

I actually used Acid as my main DAW for almost two months, but currently it's just so slow, quirky and unstable (YMMV...) that I had to bin it. Conceptually it's great (though not perfect, and the workflow could be improved more) and efficient for many of the most repetitive tasks in certain styles of music production, it's just that in implementation it's not reliable, and that's a big no-no in any long haul production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I wouldn't count on ReWireing ACID Pro.  I sure couldn't get it work right and I'm pretty good with stuff like that.

I've got Acid Pro 8 rewired as a slave to CbB and it works as expected.  I have 6 additional stereo ports and 6 additional mono ports sending audio to CbB. There is 1 trick though, if you need to change the number of additional audio ports, you need to run Acid as administrator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I wouldn't count on ReWireing ACID Pro.  I sure couldn't get it work right and I'm pretty good with stuff like that.

I tested it. It works. 

Edited by SomeGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/27/2019 at 9:59 AM, sarine said:

Acid would be a nice tool indeed, if only it didn't lag and crash so much. I actually had less issues with v8 than with v9, then again my projects grew by the time v9 was released. On yet another hand, v9 now crashes occasionally just from loading a minuscule project with three VI tracks and pressing play. If I'm using ASIO, some projects don't load at all. It also crashes if I change sample rate to anything but 44.1kHz, except when 1 out of 10 times doesn't, for no obvious reason.

I actually used Acid as my main DAW for almost two months, but currently it's just so slow, quirky and unstable (YMMV...) that I had to bin it. Conceptually it's great (though not perfect, and the workflow could be improved more) and efficient for many of the most repetitive tasks in certain styles of music production, it's just that in implementation it's not reliable, and that's a big no-no in any long haul production.

ACID is definitely not slow.  I've used it a lot.  It's fast -  Loads fast, Operates fast.  Everything is just fast - and that's a big reason why a lot of people used it.  It isn't as bloated with functionality as Cakewalk, and there aren't really any unfinished buzzword features.  It's very streamlined.   Not as "feature rich" as a "generalist DAW," but what is there is pretty much finished - if not quite polished.  MAGIX has bought the price down for the base DAW, so I can't really complain about that (Sony used to sell ACID Pro for ~$350).

It's just designed for a different, and rather specific, niche.  I wouldn't even call it quirky, TBH.  ALL DAWs are quite different from each other.  Going from Cakewalk to any other DAW will have them all seeming quirky - to varying degrees.  Stability is probably the biggest issue, but that's definitely a YMMV situation, judging by what I've seem on various forums.  

If you work primarily with loops, then ACID Pro is going to be far more productive than Cakewalk by BandLab.  It isn't even really a competition.  The documentation is decent.  It has context sensitive help.  ACID Pro has better stock plug-ins and instruments (that only work in MAGIX software, mind you) than Cakewalk by BandLab, as well.  Those domains don't depend on Cubase-level MIDI or Samplitude-level Audio capabilities.  The included Loop Packs may not be world-class, but they're better than nothing.  Meant as a starter.

In addition to that, its ability to function as both ReWire Host and Slave allows it to be used almost like an instrument from other DAWs, so its utility extends far beyond "using it as your main DAW." It doesn't really need to be your "main DAW" to be useful.

Generally, if I'm producing a beat or theme for a video, I'll use ACID Pro.  It's very fast at doing that, and working with loops.  Almost nothing on the market is as productive.  I also use it, sometimes, when cutting program music, due to the ease at which you can work with Tempo Curves, etc.

Not a great generalist DAW.  It's a great domain-specific DAW, or a Utility that can be used in innovative ways from within other DAWs.

Only a small niche of people live in ACID Pro, for this reason... but a larger community of people use it in less exclusive ways 😛

Edited by SomeGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...