Windows updates & game mode

msmcleod

I'd been wondering why projects that used to play comfortably were now starting to use up more CPU, and in some cases cause clicks & pops / dropouts.

Turns out that one of the recent Windows updates had turned Game Mode on....

So yet another thing to look out for after running updates!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I'd been wondering why projects that used to play comfortably were now starting to use up more CPU, and in some cases cause clicks & pops / dropouts.

I have never had a Windows update (even a milestone one) turn game mode back on.  Mind you, if one is having issues, it does not do any harm to check.

9 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Good Catch... Just checked and yup,  Game Mode was on! When did you notice this??

37 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I noticed it last night - clicked on the Game Mode within Control Panel by accident and noticed it was on.

Patch Tuesday is precarious... I've had various settings weirdness  after an update restart, some vanish on a reboot, others not... One mo' thing to add to the check list, post update 😆

Checked mine and I’m on Win 10 Ver 1903 but it does say there is a feature update.  I’m guessing that it will turn game mode on... Currently game mode is off. Not a fan of Win 10 update practices.  I had uninstalled Catalyst Control Center and cleaned in safe mode only to find 2 days later Windows had reinstalled it.  I’ve since unchecked the box for other drivers besides Windows. Fun stuff! 😄

Thanks for the heads up! 👍

13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

So far as I can see, they have been getting better about not changing user settings--they no longer change desktop icons back to the default locations, updates don't always make me re-install my extended partition locator, etc. 

Thanks for mentioning the CPU issue and Games Mode; very good to know about. 

At my next update, I will have to check that and see if the update re-installs all the X-Box software I recently removed (since I don't have/use X-Box).

• Meh 1