Scheps Omni Channel - amazing problem solver

I've raved about the Waves Scheps Omni Channel before... but just had to do so again.

I've been working on some vocal tracks for a client's mix... where there are many plosives.

Usually, I can isolate the plosive (as a separate clip) and use a High-Pass filter to remove it.

In a few cases, the plosive is still objectionable (even after using a high-pass filter).

I'd been using the Scheps Omni Channel's De-Esser a lot lately... to solve numerous issues (guitar string squeaks, standard de-essing, taming cymbals, etc).

So... I figured I'd give the Omni Channel De-Esser (there's actually two of them) a shot at eliminating these problematic plosives.

I set the frequency at 325Hz and engaged the first De-Esser.  Problem solved.  It was that easy.

Ironically, I haven't been using the Sheps Omni Channel for standard mixing duty... but for specific problems it's been indispensable.

The two "De-Essers" are capable of *far* more than standard de-essing.

If you're dealing with similar issues, check it out.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

Fabfilter  Q3 Is  phenomenal for catching weird stuff like that too. For many months I just thought it was a really nice EQ.  I watched a video the other day and found the built In Compressor. It is a tiny ring behind the frequency.  De-ess / compress any frequency with Q control and watch the graph to see the frequency and amount of reduction. You can set up as many de-essers as you want! You can also Eq that same frequency. Can’t believe I missed this.   Now I got to go find the second de-esser you mentioned in Omni-channel lol! I love all the waves stuff! Great prices. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 12:31 PM, Craig Anderton said:

Waves makes great stuff. Have fallen totally in love with the Abbey Road Chambers reverb :)

Totally agree, love Chambers. I really enjoy using it on a string bus as it just gives them something special. Pushing drums through it as well is amazing,

Jim, gonna have to pull the zombie channel up as well. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Fabfilter  Q3 Is  phenomenal for catching weird stuff like that too. For many months I just thought it was a really nice EQ.  I watched a video the other day and found the built In Compressor. It is a tiny ring behind the frequency.  De-ess / compress any frequency with Q control and watch the graph to see the frequency and amount of reduction. You can set up as many de-essers as you want! You can also Eq that same frequency. Can’t believe I missed this.   Now I got to go find the second de-esser you mentioned in Omni-channel lol! I love all the waves stuff! Great prices. 

That's the only FF plugin I have and didn't know it had all you've stated....just wow. Thanks Max for this, now I have to watch some videos on using it well.

It's funny - The most powerful new feature and I didn't even know about it either!  - I guess I'll spend the weekend looking for the Scheps Omni Channel's second De-Esser LOL!

And Q3 can show EQ' and FFT graphs of several tracks to help find frequency overloads.  Haven't gotten to that either!

Wish I had time to learn everything about a bunch of plugins!

Max Arwood

• Like 1