Secrets (of the Songs and Dance)

bats brew

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/secrets

working on final mix on this one,
it's a tricky one, because of the synths.

looking for mix issues and translation issues.

my short list:
1. vox too loud or too bright.
2. synth needs more meat, or maybe, roll off the high end to make it a bit warmer and bring it up.
3. rhy. guitars too edgy.

got any ideas on this one?
tnx in advance.

Interesting tune, I think the vocals are fine, as are the guitars; you didn’t ask but the kick and bass seem to be working well together on the Bose cans. The synths are not at all in my wheelhouse, so I can’t help there, other than it lends an interesting texture to the song. 

“Two sisters, one with child”

I like your story line. 

T

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Interesting tune, I think the vocals are fine, as are the guitars; you didn’t ask but the kick and bass seem to be working well together on the Bose cans. The synths are not at all in my wheelhouse, so I can’t help there, other than it lends an interesting texture to the song. 

“Two sisters, one with child”

I like your story line. 

T

thanks for listening, T....

the synths are really tricky to mix, i co wrote this with a musician that goes by 'virtualan', he did the synths and programmed the drums, i did the rest, and wrote the lyric.

i have 3 tracks of synths, but the main one is the one that carries the tune.

i have a lot of guitar ear candy in there, but i mixed it all down, so that the synths rule,

and the guitars are meant to draw the listener deeper into the mix, and not be obvious.

the story,

I got to thinking about aboriginal beats, for some reason....
something in the music that Virtualan (co-writer) offered up, drew me to this....

anyway, i found an aboriginal story, that has a tie-in to telling stories thru songs and dances....
the aboriginal people have this thing they call the dreaming:

The Dreaming  --   also means to 'see and understand the law' 

the Aborigines believe that the Ancestor Spirits came to the earth in human form and as they moved through the land, 
they created the animals, plants, rocks and other forms of the land that we know today. 

They also created the relationships between groups and individuals to the land, the animals and other people.

Once the ancestor spirits had created the world, they changed into trees, the stars, rocks, 
watering holes or other objects. 

These are the sacred places of Aboriginal culture and have special properties. 
Because the ancestors did not disappear at the end of the Dreaming, but remained in these sacred sites, 
the Dreaming is never-ending, linking the past and the present, the people and the land.

one of the most famous of these stories is the "Wagilag Sisters"....

The Wagilag Sisters

The story goes that the two Wagilag sisters, one of whom was pregnant, were fleeing their home and were being followed by clansmen. On their travels they come across many animals and plants and brought them in to life by naming them. Eventually, the Wagilag sisters set up camp beside a fertile waterhole at Mirarrmina. There, one of the sisters pollutes the waterhole and the pregnant sister gives birth, which causes Wititj the python to wake up angry and pissed off.

Wititj creates a storm on emerging from the waterhole and attempts to wash the two Wagilag sisters in to the well with his downpour (the first monsoon). The two Wagilag sisters dance and sing sacred songs in an attempt to diffuse the situation and keep them safe, but when the sisters become too exhausted to continue, the python is able to swallow them up (including child and dog)!

However, soon after, Wititj develops stomach pains and groans skywards above the land where he attracts the attention of other great snakes who also rise up in to the sky. The great snakes talk and they discover they all have different names but they wonder why the python is ill.

Realizing he made a mistake, Wititj lies about what he has just eaten but the pain becomes so unbearable Wititj falls back to the land and vomits up the sisters who regain their life from the stinging bites of caterpillars.

Undeterred, Wititj beats them with clapsticks and eats them again. Later, the Wagilag sister's clansmen, asleep in the hollow left by the python's fall, were visited in their dreams by the sisters who revealed to the clansmen the secrets of the songs and dances which had been performed in an effort to stop the rainstorm.

leads to my version of the story:
:
"the secrets of the songs and dance"

2 sisters, 1 with child
runs away to trees and water in the wild
birth of a child brings out the snake,
and both their lives it will take
rain and song to no avail, both are swallowed inside the tail
snake does lie about the meal, the caterpillar bites to heal
eaten again, and snake is gone,
the dreams reveal before the dawn---
the secrets of the songs and dance...