Default MIDI Input Presets

murat k.

When we add a synth, the default input comes as "None."

If the "Enable MIDI Output" option is checked in any existing synth within the project, the "Always Echo Current MIDI Track" feature starts to become problematic because having "None" as the input means "Omni" for all inputs at the same time. However, generally we use one input tool that we use for each track.

Currently, Cakewalk users have two options that they have to repeat every time: either keep the "Always Echo Current MIDI" option disabled and enable the "Input Echo" option for each instrument they play or change the input value for the default input they use for every newly added instrument.

As a workaround, we could consider using "Project or Track Templates," but what would we do when we want to add a new instrument to an existing template? Perhaps, to avoid this, we might have to create separate single-track templates for each instrument, which can be cumbersome.

To solve this issue selecting the default input option from the Preferences can eliminate the need to make such a setting for every instrument we add.

This is not a new topic; it has been discussed multiple times before:

Having such a feature in the final version of Cakewalk by Bandlab would resolve one of the important issues with MIDI routing in Cakewalk.

Edited by murat k.

Or a Default MIDI Input Preset would work as well.
Also with this method, we can achieve the desired result with minimal intervention in the software's interface.

1172947719_DefaultMIDIInput.png.c0668cb87b3403a5ebc1e0aff5d24a78.png

Edited by murat k.
  • Like 1

I’d vote for this .  It would be great to have a default setting where I choose my controller and it was always the input. I rarely use anything else and because it is bus powered it is always turned on with my computer.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

I’d vote for this .  It would be great to have a default setting where I choose my controller and it was always the input. I rarely use anything else and because it is bus powered it is always turned on with my computer.  

Thank you for supporting the idea. Initially, I thought the problem could be solved through a general setting like in other software programs. However, considering that Cakewalk already has a feature like MIDI Input Preset, it occurred to me that developers could achieve the desired outcome with minimal effort by adding a preference like the one in the image, without the need for any new menu. Other than that, what developers would need to do is simply add a procedure of applying the default MIDI Input preset to the track creation operation.

If this feature were added, it would permanently resolve an issue we encounter in projects where we need routing between tracks. However the main question here, I suppose, is whether such a feature will be added to the final version of Cakewalk by BandLab. As we know that from the statements the latest CbB version will be released not to introduce new features but to give the software a final form with bug fixes. Before learning this, I thought that, like in other DAWs, there would be an updated but limited version offered for free. Perhaps the company may consider such an option in the future. 

However, even if such an alternative exists, we cannot guarantee that MIDI Input Presets will be included in the free version of Cakewalk Sonar, as in the past, MIDI Input Presets were not supported in SONAR Home Studio, which was a lower-tier but paid version compared to Cakewalk SONAR. Of course, the company may consider it more appropriate to include such a feature in the paid version, after this point, it's entirely up to them.

Edited by murat k.

Everything we request will be for what will become Sonar.
As you read,  the last free version will be what we have right now with a few minor bug fixes that they had already sorted out before all developments were focused on Sonar.
We hope part of the update will be the removal of the time out on authorization as well. That will give users what is now only possible with Sonar X3, a totally untethered DAW.  

Currently, it makes no sense for the "None" option in the MIDI input to mean something else than what it implies. That's the same lying to the user thing which happens in the Export Window, where selections done  before opening it override presets. And it causes plugins which do send MIDI out events to trigger other instrument tracks, forcing you to manually turn off midi out on each instrument that does it.