Should Hyperthread be enabled in BIOS?

Rod L. Short

On 8/12/2019 at 3:49 AM, Promidi said:

What version of Cakewalk/Sonar are you using?   BTW, yes, you would want to enable Hyperthreading.

Hmm. Confused about this. I'm looking at a new Dell computer and have been looking into the issue of hyper-threading because the current 9th gen i7 doesn't have it, and the 8th gen i7 did.

From what I've been able to learn, hyper-threading has little to no impact on DAW production because the read/write process is serial in a DAW, so it doesn't benefit from hyper-threading, which is a parallel read/write process (two threads per core, so two parallel processes).

Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks.

59 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

Hmm. Confused about this. I'm looking at a new Dell computer and have been looking into the issue of hyper-threading because the current 9th gen i7 doesn't have it, and the 8th gen i7 did.

From what I've been able to learn, hyper-threading has little to no impact on DAW production because the read/write process is serial in a DAW, so it doesn't benefit from hyper-threading, which is a parallel read/write process (two threads per core, so two parallel processes).

Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks.

Probably because the 9th generation CPU is so efficient that it does not really need hyperthreading.

That being said, if it's available, you still might want to enable it - even if "hyperthreading has little to no impact on DAW production"

I am thinking that there are likely many other processes that are running on a typical Windows 10 PC that can and does benefit from hyperthreading.