Keyboard Shortcuts --> Preferences

Astraios

Sorry, I'm nerving 🤓

start CbB plain (without any project loaded).
Goto preferences --> 'Keyboard Shortcuts' and realise there are almost no factory-assigments shown in the window.
Load a project and see what happens...

Now you will have 100 Cakewalk factory-killer-assignments determinig my/your workflow.

Please Bandlab give us freedom to make our own keybinding rules finally! 

🙌

Agreed 100%! I knew when I ditched Cubase that this was Cakewalk's big drawback for me and sure enough it has caused me no end of frustration.  I would just like a completely blank keyboard shortcuts template so I can put my own in which then actually work. It would also be good to have some additional shortcuts added which would really aid workflow. As an example,  you can create a shortcut to create a Melodyne region, there is no shortcut for closing it.  It's also frustrating that you can enter a shortcut in eg the global section, and the same action in eg track view is not replicated automatically. The way it is at the moment it's not very logical. And to me it's unfathomable how it sometimes does and doesn't accept a customised shortcut.....and then after a while it works for no apparent reason. And I agree the difference between how they appear with no project loaded and then with a project loaded is baffling.  It appears as though different projects save at least some shortcuts to the project not to Cakewalk itself. Totally mysterious!

• Like 2

Just now, seadude said:

I have never fully understood the purpose behind lenses. Maybe someone will enlighten me. But in any case lenses are set to none in all my projects and templates.

It essentially allows you to remove clutter on the UI, by removing all the modules you're not going to use for a certain workflow task and making them easier to find.

has nothing to do with lenses - this problem exists for years

to make my Point of view a bit plastic:

that's how Cakewalk decides you have to use the letter N in their keybinding-religion

N        Snap to Grid on/off

CTRL+N         File > New

SHIFT+N        Open Snap to Grid settings

CTRL+SHIFT+N    Swap the primary and secondary Snap to Grid settings

ALT+N        Show/hide Navigator pane

but I have another idea about the use of 'N'

I'd rather want  (for example)

n                             copy

ctrl +n                 paste

crtl+shift+n     cut

alt+n                    delete

I tell you, you'll get a hard time 

Few bindings are reserved. A project must be loaded before most binding are active and before the may be changed in preferences. Once changed they may be saved for future sessions. This appears to be by design. To modify keybindings before loading a project would be a feature request.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, scook said:

Few bindings are reserved. A project must be loaded before most binding are active and before the may be changed in preferences. Once changed they may be saved for future sessions. This appears to be by design. To modify keybindings before loading a project would be a feature request.

Well I would like that feature! But the added difficulty for me is that saving them and applying them in a project does not appear to work properly. Another project then defaults back to a mixture of mine and default shortcuts.

Keybindings are not stored in the project. If changes are made to keybindings saved with "Save Changes for Next Session" enabled, the changes are written to the registry and recalled the next time the DAW is started and any project is loaded UNLESS a lens is loaded. If the "Save Changes for Next Session" is not enabled, keybinding changes are forgotten when the DAW is shut down.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, seadude said:

Hmmm, I will double check again that I am doing all that, probably tomorrow now. But I still think there is some underlying issue. In any case the whole shortcuts interface seems designed to confuse imho

hi seadude - have you tried to disable all the cakewalk assignments with the 'no action' command?

A few years ago, my efforts toward this ended after 20 or 30 'unbindings' with a total crash.

Endless Frustration... 😮

1 hour ago, scook said:

Thx, scook - for responding