Multi-Out Insert Track Option

JnTuneTech

One procedure that Cakewalk, and other DAWS can offer, -one that is in fact often working under the hood already, and often not as easily understood by those of us who started on analog consoles and recording devices, is to reference data in a single track in multiple ways within a project, without duplicating or modifying the original data, and also then keeping it in sync across multiple routing choices. It has taken me some time to begin using that more in my own mixes, and I wonder if perhaps there might be better ways to make that function more obvious and quicker to use?

A lot of other recent posts lead me to thinking how Cakewalk might offer that better than it does now. Primarily on the subject of multiple routing options for a recorded MIDI track output, but it also applies to audio, and that may be even more overlooked because audio is typically just routed in analog fashion to a bus, as well as have sends routed, -again as in the analog world, already.

Perhaps an option to create a multi-out track could be one option. If it could bring up a second dialog - similar to the insert soft synth option, which can allow for track creation options - including the number of reference tracks, and perhaps the initial naming, so that it would be clear the tracks are all related (name + -Ref + number), and have the option to populate them inside a track folder, for instance.

-I'm not sure if the complications of associated clip and arranger options would get in the way there though, but if it can be done, more of us could quickly route a new track to multiple outputs using the same data track source. -I suppose that might be a track template use option?   That still may be too buried, and too many steps.

How many of you have used the track view - right -click option to "Duplicate Track" - and used the pop-up options to include "Events" - "Link to Original Clips(s)" - and worked with that functionality?  -For me, it is the simplest native option to have recorded MIDI tracking output to multiple devices, and along with keeping one master edit version, gives opportunities to add different levels, fx, etc., to each routing, and the option later to unlink the duplicate(s).  -I do it with audio too, for various patching options, which, if I was trying it from an analog console, would take a lot of work... You get the picture.

In any case, might there be a better way to implement this in Cakewalk Sonar, or perhaps I am already missing something and it just needs better exposure as is?

• JnTuneTech changed the title to Multi-Out Insert Track Option