Sonar Clean Up - X1 X2 X3 for CBB

TedPiano

Hi All,

Quick Q: Re X1 X2 X3

I'm trying to clean up my computer and noticed that - going through the Desktop files with respect to all my Sonar CBB installations that the space and repetition of installations e.g. Dim Pro were as follows 

Sonar X1 - 32.1 Gb

Sonar X2 - 15.4Gb

Sonar X3 - 13 Gb

And with a little of file investigation noticed that - for example Dim Pro and many other programmes were being repeated to the extent of approx. 3.5 Gb's per installation and a lot more files & their zipfiles were equally repetitious and space demanding 

So the Q is - Do I leave the X Series and Splat as they are to keep all the previous instruments e.g. Beatscape & Studio Instruments etc or is there a way to "keep the core" of Sonar for use in CBB  and delete the repeated instances of e.g. Dim Pro (with the zipfiles etc - that are all still there taking space)

Hopefully, there is a way so  - any observations/warnings are most welcome 

If necessary I can provide Screenshots of the relevant files - to allow a visual view of the relevant files

Don't worry - I do not do anything in a rush these days - but if any long time Sonar - tech wiz - users have any suggestions - it would be a real help

Best

Ed

The previous installations really shouldn't be using that much space.

My X2 installation takes up 109MB, X3 takes up 125Mb.

In saying that, I've no duplicate installs of things like Dimension Pro etc. Everything lives in the common Cakewalk folders and is shared between all versions. This is a pretty new OS install, so everything was all installed using the default paths.

If you do indeed have multiple installs of dimension pro, I'd check to see what the current one is and where it's files are.

Fire up regedit and go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\dp , you should see the "Contents Folder" and "Multisamples Folder" paths. Those are the paths that Dimension Pro is currently using, so any other path that isn't under those will be duplicates.

Similar keys should exist for all the other Cakewalk products under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software

Try renaming all your other duplicate paths, and check that DP etc still work.

If everything is working ok, you should be able to delete those duplicate folders. 

As far as what X series things you can delete, this depends on the program. Some instruments/effects require that version to be installed whereas others don't care. Seeing as the core X series program is less than 150Mb, I'd suggest just keeping them.

Hi Mark - thanks for your always helpful advice - I'll probably spend the rest of the day taking on board your advice and reanalysing the situation - but just one more Q - do you use anything like Beatscape anymore because it seems to be very high on the Gb rar. file e.g. seems to be very high on the Gb's

Again thanks for the help - hope the last point makes sense with regard to the things that I can safely delete

Very best

Ed

Beatscape came with ~5GB of samples. The synth was bundled with X1 then discontinued. While the synth was dropped the sample library was repacked as "Loops and One Shots."  This is the only synth sample content that is duplicated in X-Series SONAR. All the other sample based synths are overwritten by each install.

One should install just the Beatscape Factory Library OR "Loops and One Shots" as they contains the same ~5GB of samples. The difference is how the samples are organized. The Beatscape Factory Library is organized by BPM, the "Loops and One Shots" are organized by instrument.

Beatscape as a synth had problems that were never resolved as the result the synth was dropped. Unless the synth was left in old projects, it may be a good idea to uninstall it rather than keep it around on the chance it may be useful in the future. If you do not plan to use the synth, it is safe to uninstall. "Loops and One Shots" from X2 will still be available from the media browser.

Again, this is unique in the X-Series. No other synths install duplicate libraries (unless you managed to instruct the installers to use non-default locations which I am not sure is possible). When upgrading from one version of SONAR to another most of the files overwrite existing files. IOW, installing X1 then X2 does not take up anywhere near 32.1 Gb + 15.4Gb (assuming your numbers are correct and I think X1 is a little high - I did not bother with performing a full X1 install instead opting for an advanced install of a couple of plug-ins - the X2 and X3 numbers look more reasonable). Installing X3 over X2 is not 15.4Gb +13 Gb. A full X3 upgrade on X2 takes a little more than 1GB and most of that are optional tutorials and sample projects. Install full versions X1 Producer through X3 producer is nothing close to 60GB.

Deleting plug-ins from one X-Series install means it is removed from all of them. Just like what you already experienced with Studio Instruments.

The tutorials and sample projects bundled with the X-Series are safe to delete and return most of the disk space not shared by all X-Series installs. By default the tutorials and sample projects are installed in each versions "Cakewalk Content" folder. For example, assuming a default X2 Producer install look in "C:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR X2 Producer" for a folder called "Tutorial Projects."

• Thanks 1

Hi scook, thanks very much for the info - very very helpful as always - I will work through both your and Mark's observations and advice i.e. I will work through step by step - observe and make notes and will probably post a follow up Q for checks to make sure I don't do anything stupid e.g. Studio Instruments

Thanks again

Very best

Ed

Hi All, esp Mark & Scook - Sorry about the quality of the ScreenShot - but thought I'd try to let you see the file size of Sonar X1 - the screenshot does not show the size of the files I've listed below but hopefully gives you useful info - I know I've probably made all the mistakes that can be made re installing Sonar over the years so again any thoughts most welcome

Re: Sonar X1

Beatscape Setup Files – 4.20 Gb

Dimension Pro Setup Files – 2.92 Gb

SONAR X1 Content Setup Files – 3.43 Gb

SONAR X1 Setup Files – 5.57 Gb

265521545_SonarX1No1Capture.JPG.22e7975db09e0e9a1683c4109eb53166.JPG

Thanks again

Best

Ed

17 minutes ago, TedPiano said:

Beatscape Setup Files – 4.20 Gb

Dimension Pro Setup Files – 2.92 Gb

SONAR X1 Content Setup Files – 3.43 Gb

SONAR X1 Setup Files – 5.57 Gb

16.12 GB seems more reasonable than the original value of 32.1 GB. Looks like most of the files are counted twice in the original value. 16GB is much closer to the other X-Series installers (at least the values you supplied, I have not bothered validate any of the numbers provided).

Hi scook - thanks again - really appreciate the insights - I don't know about you but I'm pretty tired - even the "counted twice" is confusing me - but as I said above I'm not rushing this problem - so have a very good evening and thanks again

Very best

Ed

On 8/11/2019 at 1:43 PM, TedPiano said:

Hi scook - thanks again - really appreciate the insights - I don't know about you but I'm pretty tired - even the "counted twice" is confusing me - but as I said above I'm not rushing this problem - so have a very good evening and thanks again

Very best

Ed

In the 32.1 GB total are you including both the downloaded installation files (01_ * through 05_*) and all the files in the Sonar X1 folder on the desktop? Also, I don't see the various update/patches. I am not sure if they came after your 2012 download and unpacking.  

Steve

Addendum: It looks like I originally updated to SONAR X1 in 2011, and then in March 2014 I downloaded them all (included the patches) probably after getting a Win 10 PC (with an update to SONAR X3 later that year).  I seem to recall I might have had 8.5, X1, and X3 on the computer at one time.

Edited by User 905133
to reclaim image space; to show the X1 files as I downloaded them in 2014 for purposes of comparison
  • Meh 1

Hi Dr. Steve - sorry for the delay in replying - Does the Screenshot from my download files showing the update patches that are approx. 450 to 650mb's each

699347151_SonarPatchUpdatesNo1Capture.JPG.8ff97a6abdd2c7a2f30c745f54b5ac8d.JPG

Are they all necessary?

Thanks again - I'm still working through all the advice you, Mark and Scook have provided

Very best

Ed

Couple quick notes:

1. Installation files are safest to move to external media (or another internal drive that isn't the OS drive). That puts them in a safer place, and frees up space on your OS drive. The contents of the "Downloads" folder I move religiously, and then sort the important stuff.

2. Watch for files ending in (#). Those are created when you move/copy files and elected to keep both versions. You have 3 copies of the X3e patch showing in that screenshot alone.

[Edit: Had to log into my computer since the mobile version is inserting annoying emojis.]

You can find those files by: In Windows Explorer, if you type  ~="("  into the search field it will filter the search for only things containing the ( character (i.e. what is in the  quotes; you can chose other things). Another alternative is to search your OS drive for anything "huge" or "gigantic," then make the call on why they are there, and if they should be.

Edited by mettelus
  • Great Idea 1

Hi mettelus - I'm still working through all the great advice from You, Mark, Scook and Dr Steve - referring to you comment below about repetition of "patch files" - Am I safe to delete the X3e patch 1 & 2 exe i.e. copies - without compromising X3 - 

Also - I don't use Beatscape - i.e. as scook said they were rebranded as "One Shots" - should I delete the Beatscape rar files in my downloads?

Thanks again for the help to all you guys - very best - Ed

23 hours ago, mettelus said:

You have 3 copies of the X3e patch showing in that screenshot alone.

Everything shown in your Downloads folder is an installation file.

As long as you've already installed it, then it's perfectly safe to remove it. I can't see anything in there that would need to be there after installation.

In saying that, you might want to create backup copies on to a removable disk (e.g. external drive or thumb drive) to save you having to download them again if you need to re-install.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TedPiano said:

Hi mettelus - I'm still working through all the great advice from You, Mark, Scook and Dr Steve - referring to you comment below about repetition of "patch files" - Am I safe to delete the X3e patch 1 & 2 exe i.e. copies - without compromising X3 - 

Also - I don't use Beatscape - i.e. as scook said they were rebranded as "One Shots" - should I delete the Beatscape rar files in my downloads? 

Thanks again for the help to all you guys - very best - Ed

As Mark mentioned above, the download folder is sort of a temporary repository, so if you have installed things from it, those files are no longer necessary. The caveat is also what he mentioned - If you need to reinstall at a later date and do not want to re-download things, moving them to another drive will allow you to just install from that. I tend to keep mine so that I can rebuild my OS drive from scratch if needed.

To your question specifically, you can delete the (#) files in your screenshot. Those are duplicates of the ones without any number at the end (keep the "ProducerX3ePatch.exe" and delete the other two). Same with Native_Access_Installer.zip (you have one duplicate), and ProducerX3bPatch.exe (also one duplicate). The thing to watch out for is you *may* get into a situation where they all end with a number (but be the same size), so for that situation, you can keep one of your choice, then rename it to remove the (#) at the end. Also in the downloads, failed downloads sometimes remain with a "_part" at the end (meaning a partial file). Those will not run anyway, so are safe to delete. The same name (without the (#)) and size are good indicators of duplicates. Smaller files are often a nuisance to track down without a "Duplicate Finder" style application and rarely contribute to space issues, which is why I suggested "huge" or "gigantic" (files >16MB) previously. Those will eat up hard drive space quickly.

If you do not use Beatscape, you can delete those files (or move them if desired). The "Loops and One Shots" replaced it, as scook mentioned previously.

I don't have much to add to the excellent advice others have given. I tend to keep the installation files in case I want/need to reinstall from scratch. As suggested, you could move those to long-term storage (e.g.,  usb/flash/thumb drive, or a secondary internal drive) - just in case.  As for the true duplicates, I usually delete those, too. If I am not sure an "ancient" file has become corrupted--esp. if I am not sure I could replace it, I will use MS-DOS's vestigial FC program [File Compare] with the /b option [binary comparison].

Steve

• Meh 1

Hi mettalus & Dr Steve - thanks so much for the great advice - will work through slowly - and update - can't thank you guy's enough - but generally because of my naivete re downloading I've caused a lot of duplications that you have clarified - and you have given great advice - so thanks so much again 

Very best

Ed

Hi  All 

Re: mettalus: thanks again for the advice but when you used the figure (#) for files I can delete - I don't see any - they are either numbered part (1)exe. - e.g. as in the screenshot - and are these the files that may be deleted - I'm not going to move any files yet - as I said I'm taking this slowly - but if you could clarify the # direction that would be great

Thanks again

Best

Ed

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:53 PM, mettelus said:

you can delete the (#) files in your screenshot.

15 hours ago, scook said:

It is not a literal hash tag in parentheses. The duplicate files have a number in parentheses at the end of the name such as

Native_Access_Installer (1).zip

ProducerX3ePatch (1).exe

^^^^ Sorry about the confusion, the (#) was meant to represent anything with a number in parentheses - (1), (2), (3), etc. as scook pointed out. Just be sure there is one without a number as well (the original one in most cases should not have a number, but that is not always true, especially if you have "cleaned" things before). Basically, you want to keep just one file that is the same name and size.

Circling back to the OP quick... if space on your machine is the real issue, external hard drives are relatively inexpensive and large (you can get a 4TB+ for under $100). That allows you to move things off the computer (quick and easy way to "clean" the OS drive), then "potentially" sort them later (slow and painful at times)... you can always sort them later on if desired, but searching that drive (via Windows Explorer) may be all that you need (it takes a lot of duplicates to fill up a 4TB drive). My bigger concern is not spending too much time to achieve the purpose of slimming down your OS drive, which "seems" to be the point of the OP.