SF2 files not working

OldNick

I am trying to get sf2 files to play in a couple of sf2 players that I have: sfz (not 32) and DSK SF2 V2

I can find heaps of SF2 files scattered around my PC, but only one or two of the many I have tried have actually made any sounds.

One thing that puzzles me is that many of these sf2 files are a Cakewalk /Dimension Pro subfolder, and I am pretty darn sure that DimPro does not allow SF2 files....so I might understand why they may not play.

However I have tried SF2 files from other locations, but am getting very little joy.

My symptom is that if I enter a note in the PRV, the MIDI meter shows activity, but there is no signal going though to the actual signal track of my synth, and the Master/Buss does not show activity...and of course there is no audible result. That matched my experience of a SFZ file that does not have a pointer to its sample location and will therefore not play even when loaded.

But....I though SF2 files contained their own samples. If an SF2 file that I had made/modified did not work, I would look to my work. But these are 90% files bundled with various VST instruments and players, and presumably pro-written.

Anyone any ideas?  If so they would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, I have tried SForzando. It did at least start to tell me something about some of the fonts, but only that wavs were invalid. Then suddenly it would import one and convert, but still no sound.

The fact that I can load, say Dimentia and get a result, both in the signal path and audibly, means that (AFAICS) something is failing at the Font level.

I am flummoxed! Even though the SoundBalster was cheesy until you searched for fonts, it was reasonably reliable....you only had SFZ (GM compatible or not was about the worst thing you came up against)and we all knew where we stood. :(

Surely, either I am doing something wrong, or others are having this trouble.

You know, I am getting an impression here that SF files are just flung about all over the place, including those in Dimentia's folders that are SF2, although unreadable to the parent DimPro.

SForzando does produce a log if there is a failure...for the one I just tried, it said....nope...I have taken away focus from that window and it has disappeared. Whatever it said file not available or not found for everything....this is from and SF2 that Sforzando has converted.

I refuse to just sit here and write mucus using vanilla....if you get my drift. While I can do the basic melodies, riffs, chords and measures, in the end I want control over the sound as well. I now feel I had it more with the primitive stuff than I can get now. It feels as if each system is jealous of its sounds and does not want it touched.