Tempo Adjusting

Eric Solomon

You know what would be a helpful addition? (For me anyway) To be able to drag the tempo you want with mouse wheel, instead of using the +, - or typing the tempo in.

I record vocals mostly to a 2 track beat and I have to find the tempo of the track first and have found it very simple to find the tempo by dragging the tempo with the mouse wheel to match transients with bars and beats.

Mostly now I use Hornet Songkey 3 which now has tempo detection. So far it seems to work ok but it would be nice to have that function built in.

• Great Idea 1

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm understanding correctly that you're working with imported audio that isn't already loop-enabled to follow tempo, try this (assuming  the audio is  already trimmed to start with a downbeat at 1:01):

- Play the project, count through 4 measures, and hit space bar when you count hits 5:01 (for added precision, you can then Tab or Shift+Tab to the 5:01 transient in the audio).

- Shift+M to open Set Measure/Beat at Now dialog, enter Measure 5, Beat 1, and hit enter.

- The initial tempo will be automatically reset to make the specified measure/beat in the timeline hit that beat in the audio file.

- If the calculated tempo is very close to a whole number (likely for imported beats), you can undo the Set, and enter that whole number tempo  directly. 

This technique is handy for setting tempo in a new , empty project, too. Just, start playback, count out 4 bars at the tempo you have in your head, stop with spacebar, and Set the Now time to Measure 5, Beat 1. I suppose this could work for a project with REX/Groove Clip loops already imported, too, but you would need to mute the track to keep it from interfering with your mental count.

Edited by David Baay