Singing the iLok blues - new iLok plugins have problems...

TheSteven

There is a problem with plugins that have been built using the current iLok SDK.

This  problem affects 64bit VST2 and VST3 plugins on Windows 10 and can causes problems with the hosting DAW running in unless the DAW is run under Admin mode!
Note that older iLok plugins do not have this issue. For example Eventide just updated their Elevate Mastering Bundle to v1.5.12 and all the 64bit VST2 and VST3 plugins in the bundle have the problem - however the older release v1.5.7 is problem free of these issues.

Issues I've verified if DAW is not run in Admin mode

With Cakewalk -
If you scan your VSTs while running Cakewalk as Admin  - they will successfully scan.
If you later run Cakewalk as non-admin it appears that you can use these iLok plugins (at least the ones I tried) without issues.

If you are affected by this issue let iLok know! Please go to the iLok website, login and create a support ticket:
https://www.ilok.com/#!support-ticket/gn

Peace out
...Steven

Edited by TheSteven

I don't have the Master Bundle but I did update my EQuivocate to 1.5.12 and didn't have any problems with CbB or Cubase.  Scanned just fine, no admin mode.  I've got the most recent iLok Manager (5.0.3.2569) and I'm using a hardware iLok (not sure that matters).  Most recent Windows 10 ver 1903, fully patched.  I even deleted the CbB registry entries for it to force a rescan without any problems.  VST2 and VST3 versions.  And I do have UAC mode enabled/etc but nothing is running as admin.

Might be more to this.  Going to make it hard to track down though, iLok doesn't consider us customers or important.  They will force you to go through the plugin developer for support.

16 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I've got the most recent iLok Manager (5.0.3.2569) and I'm using a hardware iLok (not sure that matters).  Most recent Windows 10 ver 1903, fully patched.  I even deleted the CbB registry entries for it to force a rescan without any problems.  VST2 and VST3 versions.  And I do have UAC mode enabled/etc but nothing is running as admin.

Ditto.
I'm using iLok3 dongle also uninstalled iLok Manager and C++ libraries.  
Not sure what else I could try except holy water and incense.

My PC specs are:
Alienware M17xR4 laptop
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
24 GB RAM, 2 x 1TB SSD hard drives
Windows 10 Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
Audio interface: Roland Quad-Capture

On 8/11/2019 at 12:39 PM, Jaime Ramírez said:

I have the Slate Bundle and i figure out what was the issue with the ILok. I have to disable my Avast Antivirus and works fine. If a don't turn off i have problems in Cakewalk and others DAW. I don't know if was an windows update or a Antivirus update when start this issue. 

Rather than turning off Avast (I use it too), but the same issue can exist with other antivirus programs, try adding Exclusions or Exceptions (terminology may differ), for the following: Cakewalk Projects folder, Sample libraries, program folders for synths and apps used in Cakewalk (including Cakewalk), basically, telling the antivirus software to skip scanning of those folders, so they don't bog the performance or cause any other issues by accessing/scanning files and programs used in a Cakewalk session.

Think about it - your sample libraries - these are static files, thousands and thousands of them for just one piano patch - once written to your hard drive on their installation, these files are not updated, so there is no need to have them get scanned while trying to stream them while working on your piano track.  

Setting up folder exclusions allows you to leave your antivirus software active, without bogging down your performance during your Cakewalk session.  Do this once, and you don't have to worry about it again, and don't have to remember to temporarily shut down or disable the antivirus processing on the whole system.

There is the other school of looking at it, which is that you shouldn't access the internet while working in Cakewalk, and that is fine, but a bit of overkill, and I may want to look something up in the middle of working in a project, or respond to a text or FB message, or whatever, so I prefer to leave using the internet as an option during sessions, so this is why I just set up the exclusions, so that I can both record and browse safely and not sacrifice performance in the process.

Just a thought.

Bob Bone

@Robert Bone The issue with the antivirus isn't with Cakewalk and others DAW. The issue is with the Ilok software.. A conflict with the Antivirus with the Ilok software. I figured out and open the "task manager" and see that an ilok file stopped work, and become unstable all the Slates plugins and session. I was 2 days with the issue. Was with all the Daws with the Slate plugins. I disable the Antivirus before open the Daws and al works flawless. 

No probs - was just suggesting adding exclusions to whatever involved with your Cakewalk sessions that was having issues with the antivirus, rather than disabling the antivirus software altogether.  When I have had issues in the past with antivirus software and music apps in the past, adding exclusions for the music app software and data folders made MY issues go away, and allowed me to keep the antivirus software running, while no longer interfering, additionally benefiting performance of the music software.

Bob Bone

I work for Eventide and have seen this issue. We've given customers the same workaround. I didn't realize so many developers were having the same problem so I had our engineers reach out to PACE in hopes that they can fix this.

• Like 2