old cakewalk FX

depends on what is meant by

20 minutes ago, martins said:

old cake FX

VST plug-ins are not problem except they are old unsupported plug-ins. Run the old installer in advanced mode and select the plug-ins.

32bit DX plug-ins that were not ported to 64bit technically can be used but are not worth the effort. In order to use 32bit DX plug-ins they must be "converted" into VST plug-ins using a DX-to-VST wrapper so they may be loaded in BitBridge or jBridge. This combination is rarely satisfactory.

In general, it is a bad idea to add old unsupported plug-ins from any manufacturer into a new project.

18 hours ago, scook said:

Run the old installer in advanced mode and select the plug-ins.

i already have thems installed on my PC,i tried some stuff to get them working but no luck

the things i have tried is ( shell2vst) (FFX-4) but to no avail..

do i have another solution to make them working please

cheer

martin

It has been almost 15 years since Cakewalk introduced a 64bit DAW. At that time, some DX plug-ins were ported to the new platform, some were not. I am not going to waste my time or yours trying to get 32bit DX plug-ins from that time to work in CbB. I wish you luck with the exercise should you choose to continue. There are some that like this kind of challenge; I am not among them.

If you have projects with these plug-ins in them, install a 32bit version of SONAR and either render the tracks or replace the plug-ins with something that can work going forward. Expecting projects created with XP era and older software to keep working as it did back in the day is setting oneself up for disappointment.

I am just beginning to get up to speed with the new Cakewalk, but was pleased to learn this morning that z3ta+ FX  (pre-z3ta+ 2) still works--to a degree.  For my initial tests, I added the plug-in to two other synth plug-ins ("simple instruments" insertion), one being TTS-1. However, I am stumped on how to pass midi CCs from my keyboard to the z3ta+ FX plug-in to control the FX parameters.  Not ready to conclude it can't be done, yet.

Anyhow, I offer this as an example of an old plug-in working in the new Cakewalk.

(FWIW, I am attempting to come close to some real-time performance techniques I used with my Roland M-GS64 and the TTS-1 plus z3ta+ FX is coming very close--if I could just tweak the FX parameters in real-time with CCs. )

Steve

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to fix gramatical and syntactical atrocities
  • Meh 1

z3ta+ is a VST that was ported to 64bit.

Quite a few DX and VST plug-ins were ported to 64bit. There are a few VST plug-ins that were not ported to 64bit but there is bridge software available for them. Although, moving away from 32bit VST is still a good idea.

32bit DX plug-ins that were not ported to 64bit are a problem. There is no bridge available for 32bit DX format. The process to get these plug-ins to work in a 64bit host is flaky at best.

I have not tried sending CC data to the z3ta+ FX plug-ins but all FX plug-ins that can use MIDI data require these 2 steps to setup for interactive use with a MIDI controller.

1) Enable MIDI Input on the plug-in's VST2/3 drop down in the standard header

WBoEAIf.png

2) A MIDI track with the output set to the plug-ins, input set to the controller and input echo enabled