Dou you compose the genres you listen to?

Logan_4600

I think stuff gets caught up in our grey matter without us realizing it, even though I wasn't fully absorbed in the listening experience, like say, maybe I heard it on someone's radio at work. When it gets there our brains are chewing on it in the background. I don't intentionally do this but it seems to happen with me at least.

So I guess I have unintentionally done that . I don't immerse myself in music for hours like some do though. I'll hear something and it's just sort of floating around doing things in the background.

I write in a short list of genres because that's what I like. However, whatever I write, it always has the influence of the styles I grew up liking. If someone were to tell me they want me to write something without those influences in it, they would be asking me to write something I don't like--so there you are.

Edited by razor7music

I definitely work within my preferred music genre. I actually have pretty broad musical tastes, and listen to a lot of different stuff. But I almost exclusively compose orchestral music because it is - by far - my favorite kind of music, and if there was a magical app that tracked the lifetime hours I spend listening to music, then classical/symphonic/soundtrack music would easily dominate. Should I ever have the chance to have an orchestral work of mine actually performed live (highly unlikely), I could pretty much chuck out the rest of my bucket list. I can imagine no finer moment than that. 

And while I do try and listen across a very broad spectrum of the classical/symphonic genre (and lately I've been seeking out stuff I am not familiar with as a way to expand my palette of ideas), when writing I tend to return to very melodic, traditional sounding orchestration -- at least, I end up attempting to create that. 

Rob

• Like 1

No, not really.

I am writing and recording primarily Christian Rock with our band.  I play mostly modern Worship every Sunday; the real modern stuff.  It’s not what is on my radio or iPhone.  

I’m an old Rock an Blues guy at heart and that’s what I listen to, most of the time.  

My roots show up still in the music that I write and the way I perform.  Many here have made the comment to me, when hearing my work...”very Petty-like on the vocals.  

• Like 3

On 1/13/2019 at 2:18 PM, Marshall said:

I listen to Dream Theater and there are about 10 people on the entire planet capable of playing their stuff...I am not one of them

I have this issue with DT (like with other virtuosos bands), they have this inmensley huge talent, but their songs lack some heart (and hooks too). But, yeah, they're great nonetheless

On 1/14/2019 at 9:17 PM, ØSkald said:

Yeah. I wish I was as good to write as the ones I listen to. I try, but I must make my own thing because I just can’t play as good as John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, Tosin Abasi and so many others. I try to make it interesting and in the genres I want and love tho.

I wish I'd have the talent Tony Banks has, but no, not remotely close. I have to deal with what I can do. (That's where the DAW comes in handy, and can make a great idea from a below average-musician sound good, and it's great)

• Like 2

My favorite genre for listening is jazz, but I don't have the training or chops to play real jazz. I also love fusion, and a lot of what I do could be classified as such, though typically with less virtuosic performances, and less adventurous changes. I don't really listen to ambient, chill-out, trance, lounge or what used to be called  new age, but much of what I create leans in one of those directions.  Like most around here, I grew up listening to - and still listen to - a lot of guitar-based pop and rock, both soft and hard, but I'm not a guitarist, and I don't sing or write lyrics, so I'm influenced by that listening, but it's not what I do.

5 hours ago, bitman said:

I've moved on from metal to country / Americana type music as It can have more instruments and is more or less still relevant.

But if I'm just sitting around I like EDM if it doesn't get too disco.

You can have folk music in metal too. Like antestor here. They use altott of folk music melodies and self made melodies in style of folk norwegian music too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WmL8aAtOnk&t=492s

Prog rock/metal by the band Gåte too. They play folk songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJXLfOk0Lk

1 hour ago, Logan_4600 said:

It's awesome how the term 'folk' varies from place to place. My folklore music is nothing like the european celtic, scotish or nordic folk

They use the melodies and lyrics. Sometimes make new in the old tradition, but use modern instruments.

Definition of a folk melody/text in norway is that it is old enough to be collected in the 19th c, but without a known maker. Many works is in the same style but you have a name of the composer/writer and you call it folk music, but that is really a slap in the face to the maker, like you dont give him kred.

• Like 1