I finally killed Magix desktop advertising

Mitch_I

Every time I started Windows, I got a huge ad from Magix.  Changing settings in Windows Notifications didn't touch it. Hitting the monitor with my fist didn't help either. Here's what did.

Start -> Administrative Tools -> Task Scheduler.
Click Task Scheduler Library (on left).
Find Connect on the right and click it.
Optional - open Connect and look at the Actions. You'll see ...MAGIX\Connect...
Right-click Connect and select Disable.

Is there a better subforum for this kind of tip? If there is, I hope the forum admins will move it there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 4 years later...
On 8/9/2019 at 9:03 PM, Mitch_I said:

Every time I started Windows, I got a huge ad from Magix.  Changing settings in Windows Notifications didn't touch it. Hitting the monitor with my fist didn't help either. Here's what did.

Start -> Administrative Tools -> Task Scheduler.
Click Task Scheduler Library (on left).
Find Connect on the right and click it.
Optional - open Connect and look at the Actions. You'll see ...MAGIX\Connect...
Right-click Connect and select Disable.

Is there a better subforum for this kind of tip? If there is, I hope the forum admins will move it there.

Doing a new install and i had to find this again , your rock , i wanted to erase the target but i said let's just disable it .... shame to Magix , Pretty sure if i uninstale soundforge , it will stay ....

If doing new installs or especially if loading a new machine, another thing to check is "Services." There are a lot that can either be set to Manual start (because you trigger them on open) or disabled completely (if you never want them to run at all), but many program installs set both of those categories to load into RAM on boot by default.

There are actually settings in each MAGIX product that allow you to turn that crap off, and they do work. No need to dig into Task Scheduler.

Poke around in Preferences and you can uncheck the option to see offers.

Corel Painter and Paint Shop Pro are similar. Bombardment with offers until you disable it, but disabling it works.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, User 905133 said:

How do you keep it from installing Magix Low Latency Drivers? I tried over the span of several years and never stumbled onto the solution.  Each time they totally messed up my audio. Thx.

You can't keep it from installing, there is no option to do so during the installation, but you can go into the registry afterwards and remove them in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

At least NVIDIA finally has the option not to install their custom audio driver, but I have not seen this option with MAGIX (it is really just ASIO4ALL anyway).

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2023 at 5:49 AM, User 905133 said:

How do you keep it from installing Magix Low Latency Drivers? I tried over the span of several years and never stumbled onto the solution.  Each time they totally messed up my audio. Thx.

Keep it , it's like asio for all , it can be handy in case one day you need it , i found over the years that it's not introducing any trouble , just a line on audio devices ...but i used it onces doing some editing in standalone apps , and it's wayyyyyyy better than windows drivers .....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zo said:

standalone apps

There are still some standalone apps out there that require "ASIO"... some have added Windows defaults (pretty large latency hit), and even fewer have added WASAPI.