Listening to this now

Mesh

2 hours ago, Mesh said:

Looks like I a variety of music to listen today.....nice! :)

I appreciate all the different styles. Much of it I never even knew existed.

How about my favorite Dr. John album. He got together with other New Orleans (NOLA) expats living in L.A. and recorded an entire album of New Orleans music in NOLA style and honoring previous NOLA artists. It's a fine example of a style of music that suffered greatly when Katrina leveled NOLA. It's well recorded and you can hear the fun these people had playing their roots music.

Dr John - Gumbo (full album - I hope the full album thing works, I'm still on the first cut.)

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1

Undun - The Guess Who

Burton Cummings sang lead and played the excellent flute solo.

Randy Bachman's guitar comping behind the vocals is utterly fantastic IMHO. I wish I could do that!!! (although I play guitar, my primary instruments are saxophone and windsynth)

Edited by Notes_Norton

When I was a child, I walked into a record store and asked the owner if he could recommend a saxophone record. I was in beginning band at school and didn't know any famous sax players yet. The clerk sent me home with this one.

The music was a bit over my head at the time, but I grew to love it. I wore out two vinyl LPs and finally got it in CD.

The orchestra was written and arranged, the sax and drum parts are completely improvised.

It's not jazz, it's not classical, it's not pop, it's not like anything Stan Getz did before or after, it's in a class by itself, and the sax improvisations are superb.

Focus - Stan Getz

(entire album)

Edited by Notes_Norton

The Ernie Kovacs Record Collection - Various Artists

Ernie was a gifted sight-gag comedian in the early, early days of Television. These cuts were originally foreground music for comedy skits, and most them hold up on their own, even if very dated. Saxophobia is one of my favorites for obvious reasons. I can't imaging playing like that, and I rarely listen to it, but when I do, it always makes me smile.

Edited by Notes_Norton