Listening to this now

Mesh

Bonnie Raitt - Runaway Oops! Almost did it again! :D

How about a nice psychedelic classic. The arrangement is quite creative incorporating some of the original Motown "Funk Brothers" figures and interpreting them in a very over-the-top manner.

"You Keep Me Hanging On" - Vanilla Fudge

Edited by Notes_Norton

6 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Right now, it's not on UTube, but on my CD player

Beethoven Symphonies #4 and #7 - The Cleveland Orchestra, George Szell conducting.

Great renditions of my two very favorite Beethoven symphonies on one CD.

Because life is too short to enjoy only one genre of music.

Is it this?

• Like 1

The first symphony on my disk. Different cover but it might even be the same recording, as they put the same recording on different collections.

Szell was a great conductor and the Cleveland Orchestra is one of the world's finest.

I have a disk with #4 and #7 on the same disc with the King Stephen Overture tacked on the end. It's a Sony Classics Special Edition.

Notes

• Like 1

I've been listening to almost nothing but Beethoven recently - except Elvis' Christmas records. I got myself a boxset of the complete String Quartets as well as one of the complete piano concertos as an early Christmas present this year.

But for the last 2 days, it's Handel's Messiah - which I'm ashamed to admit I barely knew, save for some of the more obvious passages.  

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

I like Beethoven symphonies the best, especially 3, 4 and 7. #5 has a great first movement but the rest doesn't thrill me (it's still genius but not my cup of tea).

For me at this stage in my life, symphonic music starts with Beethoven's 3rd, what I consider the very beginning of the romantic era. But what I love best is Dvorak, Suk, Shostakovitch, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Borodin, Smetana, Amirov, Saint-Sans, Vaughan Williams, Granados, Albeniz, Sarasate, de Falla, Rodrigo,  and quite a few others. The more emotional they are, the better I tend to like them. The darker and heavier they are also gain listening points for me.

I guess it's the Heavy Metal of the Classical world ;)

Like this one:

Shostakovitch: Symphony #7, "Lenningrad" / USSR Symphony Orchestra, Evgney Svetlanov conductiong

Edited by Notes_Norton

41 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

I like Beethoven symphonies the best, especially 3, 4 and 7. #5 has a great first movement but the rest doesn't thrill me (it's still genius but not my cup of tea).

For me at this stage in my life, symphonic music starts with Beethoven's 3rd, what I consider the very beginning of the romantic era. But what I love best is Dvorak, Suk, Shostakovitch, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Borodin, Smetana, Amirov, Saint-Sans, Vaughan Williams, Granados, Albeniz, Sarasate, de Falla, Rodrigo,  and quite a few others. The more emotional they are, the better I tend to like them. The darker and heavier they are also gain listening points for me.

I guess it's the Heavy Metal of the Classical world ;)

Like this one:

Shostakovitch: Symphony #7, "Lenningrad" / USSR Symphony Orchestra, Evgney Svetlanov conductiong

3, 4, 7 are also my favorites!

Coming from a heavy metal background too, I totally get what you mean. Although I'll always be a fan of the classics, in recent years I started broadening my horizon, with Shostakovich among others. I also became a huge fan of the work of Penderecki, Lutoslawski and such.

Although, at the end of the day, for me, Beethoven's Late String Quartets represent one of mankind's greatest achievements. I don't know what it is - it just clicks with me.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Rain said:

Although, at the end of the day, for me, Beethoven's Late String Quartets represent one of mankind's greatest achievements. I don't know what it is - it just clicks with me.

Yes, and I'd add Beethoven's late piano sonatas. Something almost mystical going on there. . .