Listening to this now

Mesh

So… moving North of Houston… I start buying guitar parts from this guy who runs Starr Guitars. Unbeknownst to me at the time I actually knew who the guy was that runs the business from my days playing the Metal scene in the SF Bay Area. Turns out he was the bassist for Bay Area metal band Vicious Rumors (which also had Vinnie Moore on their debut album).  35+ years later, halfway across the States, and numerous places in between. What are the chances?

Funny how that works!  A good friend of mine that I met the first week after I moved from Southern California to Vancouver Washington (18 years ago) turned out to have worked in the unmarked building across the street from the unmarked building I worked in.  We used to both go to the same restaurant down the street for meetings, yet we never met until we had both moved well over 1,000 miles away!

Back in the 80's, I worked with a Vietnamese programmer named James who had the office next to mine and an older guy who had his office right across the hall.  Turns out that during the Vietnam war, the older guy used to protect the back entrance to hospital where a handful of kids would play.  Yep, one of those kids was James!

One of the blessings of making aftermarket fake e-disks for Band-in-a-Box is discovering new songs.

Working on one of the Real Jazz books, I came across a song called Ragtime Cowboy Joe. It's in a jazz book, but it's actually Western Swing, which was a mixture of country and jazz genres. I don't listen to Western Swing much, but should listen to it more. Here is a contemporary band doing it. The musicianship is excellent, there is an element of fun, and I liked it, so I'm sharing.

Ragtime Cowboy Joe - The Swing Commanders

10 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

One of the blessings of making aftermarket fake e-disks for Band-in-a-Box is discovering new songs.

Working on one of the Real Jazz books, I came across a song called Ragtime Cowboy Joe. It's in a jazz book, but it's actually Western Swing, which was a mixture of country and jazz genres. I don't listen to Western Swing much, but should listen to it more. Here is a contemporary band doing it. The musicianship is excellent, there is an element of fun, and I liked it, so I'm sharing.

Ragtime Cowboy Joe - The Swing Commanders

My grandmother Irene Hollingsworth used to play at the Redondo Barn. A country swing venue in Redondo Beach, California, back in the 40’s and 50’s. I’ve got the guitar she had used at the time. Family legend has it that it was given to her by Tex Williams. I’m not sure how accurate that was as the owner of the Redondo Barn went by Texas Jim Lewis. But my Dad swore it was Tex Williams. 

C9725942-2CB4-43D2-BB5D-0294BBACBF47.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...