Listening to this now

Mesh

One of the fun aspects of doing fake disks for Band-in-a-Box that are compatible with off-the-shelf fake books from Hal Leonard and other publishers is making musical discoveries.

I know of Mel Tormé, a singer called "The Velvet Fog" a composer who wrote the music and co-wrote the words to "The Christmas Song" (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Flame), and later abandoned the sappy velvet fog ballads for some quite impressive jazz singing including some decent scatting.

While searching for versions of the Gershwin Brothers' "Fascinating Rhythm" we came across this clip from an old TV show (back when the world was in black & white instead of color. The performance is very, very old school (corny by today's standards), done very well for that genre, and what surprised me is Mel was a very good drummer. He uses the preferable 'military grip' to hold the drum sticks, has great control, and plays some nice licks too.

I enjoyed it and hope some of you will too.

• Like 1

Here's one you may not have heard of: Amanda Lehmann Memory Lane. This is from her recent (and first) solo album (Innocence and Illusion).

The sadness and tragedy that touches someone to write something this good is a painful thing to witness, but I guess that's what makes songs like this so personal and special.

Who is Amanda Lehmann I hear you ask?

Steve Hackett's sister-in-law, she also appears in his band and on several of his albums; featuring on guitar, occasional lead vocal and BGVs.

Andy

• Like 2

I found this one doing another Band-in-a-Box project for one of my customers. One nice thing about making projects for BiaB is that it introduces me to some music I may have never stumbled on before. This is one, and I plan to investigate the group some more. The UK guys on this forum might know about them than we do in the USA.

It's interesting and a bit quirky.

78 Stone Wobble - Gomez

• Like 1