Listening to this now

Mesh

We're still doing that jazz disk for Band-in-a-Box, and there are a number of pop songs that have been done by jazz artists, like the one in the above post.

So we stumbled on:

Billie Jean - Ben Sharkey

Nice  vocals and arrangement, though I think the piano solo is a little weak.16 bars would have been enough for me. YMMV

Edited by Notes_Norton

The Air That I Breathe by Albert Hammond. It's the original and I've always thought it was the best version out there. I always loved Phil Everly's version too. I like them both equally actually. Never cared for The Hollies version.

Sorry if this has been posted before. This thread is too huge to check. Hah.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

The early Beach Boys were steeped in the doo wop tradition. 

In all this time (that is, since the '60s), I never thought of how the amazing Beach Boys vocal sound grew out of doo-wop, but now that you mention it, it makes sense.  I had a Beach Boys listening binge within the past year (lots of behind-the-scenes documentary videos among other), but the next time I will be listening with new ears. 🙂 

4 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

zappa had a love of doo wop

Yup!!!  Listening to this now (just one of many he did):

• Like 1

A game I play when watching old performances is identifying all the now-vintage instruments in use. Here we have the unique Yamaha CP-80 , an electric piano that had real piano strings inside, and an Oberheim OB-X - the rarely-seen 8-voice, split keyboard version that would have been the latest in cutting-edge tech in 1982.

• Like 3