Listening to this now

Mesh

On 6/2/2021 at 12:06 PM, pwalpwal said:

haven't there been hundreds of jazz's greatest hits collections?

Yes, but every jazz band I've ever played in did "Night In Tunisia".

Another "Jazz Standard".

A Latin take on the Art Farmer and Benny Golson classic

Killer Joe - Jorge Dalto and the Inter-American Band

• Like 1

^^^ that many strings on a guitar would only give me an opportunity to play more wrong notes at the same time ;)

Má Vlast (My Country) - Bedřich Smetana - Czech Philharmonic (one of my very favorite orchestras) - Jiří Bělohlávek conducting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXt2zGiDa80

(couldn't get it to embed)

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

^^^ that many strings on a guitar would only give me an opportunity to play more wrong notes at the same time ;)

Totally not getting the reason for those extra strings!  He didn't use them so, to me, they would just make using the high six that he did use that much more difficult... 

HeadScratch.gif

Yepes is not using the Extra strings in the Song posted above.

He has been   using the strings by playing special  classic arrangements on the 10 string  guitar.

The 10-string Guitar of Narciso Yepes (Part I): Tuning & Resonance ('Overtones'); Fritz Buss 19/35

Robert Dickinson | "Le Sang d'Isolde" | Viktor van Niekerk, 10-string guitar

Claudio Monteverdi | "Si dolce è'l tormento" | Viktor van Niekerk, 10-string guitar

Edited by Pragi
  • Like 1

While compiling a 'fake disk' for Band-in-a-Box, we ran across this version of Henry Mancini's "Charade". I never cared for the song by Mancini, although I like a lot of his other work, but this version I really like. It is done by a bunch of Italians who seem to have a very good understanding of how to play Brazilian stye music.

Charade - Nicola Conte

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

While compiling a 'fake disk' for Band-in-a-Box, we ran across this version of Henry Mancini's "Charade". I never cared for the song by Mancini, although I like a lot of his other work, but this version I really like. It is done by a bunch of Italians who seem to have a very good understanding of how to play Brazilian stye music.

Charade - Nicola Conte

That 'a very nice  track.

Thanks for this one.

My pleasure.

That was the first version of Charade I ever found interesting. One of my tests of a well crafted song is that it will stand up to completely different treatments. Don't get me wrong, I like tons of music that won't stand up to that test, but I have a special appreciation for those that do.

I like a lot of Mancini work, especially when he was doing Cool School era jazz like this.

The Brothers Go To Mothers - Henry Mancini