Listening to this now

Mesh

1 hour ago, Wibbles said:

@craigb 

Sorry, I missed that.

Dark Wave? What the feck is Dark Wave?

I can't say I've heard of any of the bands after 1988 (that Sisters' track is from 1983, not 1992).  

After once spending more research time and effort trying to figure out what genres (and sub-genres) there are and where they come from (thousands of them!) then I would for a college term paper, I mostly ignore the vast majority of them.

I like to keep things organized, so when I started to import all of my music collection (well over 350,000 songs now), I wanted some way to categorize them.  I finally settled on 25 "parent" genres and 278 sub-genres.   I have a matrix that maps any other sub-genre to one of those.

Edited by craigb

On 7/30/2020 at 9:14 AM, pwalpwal said:

are you guys all really listening to these?

Depends on how much time I have, and how much UTube is buffering on my slow Internet connection.

I've discovered a lot of music I never would have given a try before, some of it very good and delightful, some of it not my proverbial cup of tea, some in-between, but always interesting.

Often what I list I'm listening at home on my stereo (I have over 6,000 CDs and hundreds of LPs) and sometimes the post is a different version. Again, it depends on how my DSL is acting or acting up today.

Right now I'm listening to the guy I consider the world's all-time greatest jazz singer, Mark Murphy and an album from the 1970s that doesn't have a bad or even mediocre cut on it. Everything is superb.

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1

Walkin' - Stanley Turrentine

I really like how Stanley changed the shape of his oral cavity while playing to get different vowel sounds out of his sax. It makes for vox humana expression. I learned a lot from listening to Mr.T. He's my all-time second favorite sax player.

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1